Don't you mean they've been sitting, Tom? 

Great thread.

Regards,

Tony. 

Don’t you just hate it when a teacher sneaks up on you like that?

There is no escape from the ever watchful eye of Sir!

I expect a clip around the ear when I'm in his company in two weeks!

• RMweb Premium

This mistake would alter the pronunciation of 'Festiniog'; a single f in Welsh is a V sound, as there is no V in the Welsh alphabet.  Vestiniog.  You need a double ff to make the English f sound.

True enough, but I suspect that Tom was pointing out a different spelling error.

• RMweb Gold

No but they'll need craning out.  I put mine on conflats and in medfits, which have drop sides so don't need cranes, and in highfits which do.  They are not supposed to be put in 1 plank lowfits, but I'm sure sometimes were.  My very ancient but re-chassis-ed Mainline lowfit has a branded instruction that it is not to be loaded with containers, and I obey it...

The reason is to do with securing the load.  The container's leather restraining straps (oo er missis) fit into pockets on conflats, and they can be secured with packing pieces in higher sided wagons, but not in a lowfit.

It seems for whatever reason, that in the last year of operations as a 'goods only' branch, two Brake Vans were utilised. Regarding where the LNER one had come from, it can not have been the Conwy Valley line. The connection between the WR and LMR lines was not completed until 1964, three years after the Trawsfynydd-Bala section had closed.

I was not aware of this and it would be interesting to know why this was done.

I was not aware of this and it would be interesting to know why this was done.

The railway was required for the nuclear flask traffic to the newly constructed Trawsfynydd Power Station. Initially it was looked at making a diversion around the to be constructed Llyn Celyn. However it was deemed cheaper to knock through between Blaenau Ffestiniog Central (WR) and Blaenau North (LMR). It's still quite an amazing though that prior to 1964, both station were physically not connected, although there had been failed plans to connect the two previously.

I've travelled this way today. Still find the scenery captivating...never get tired of it.

E_R

It's a wonderful place. I'd loved to have travelled the line. You can't quite imagine the isolation now the A4212 cuts through.... but to go back and be standing on that platform, with a horizontal rain and gale blowing through....then to hear the distant whistle of a 57XX approaching.... truly amazing!

• Like 2

attachicon.gifpanniers-double-headed.jpg

4645 and 8791 on the SLS special, 22 January 1961
(a still from the Railway Roundabout video)

A lovely photo Miss Prism, thanks for sharing. Both locos were regularly Croes Newydd engines and had appeared on regular service trains in the previous couple of years. 8791 is worthy of note, as in this period it didn't have a top feed (like 5774 and 9669).

• RMweb Gold

The railway was required for the nuclear flask traffic to the newly constructed Trawsfynydd Power Station. Initially it was looked at making a diversion around the to be constructed Llyn Celyn. However it was deemed cheaper to knock through between Blaenau Ffestiniog Central (WR) and Blaenau North (LMR). It's still quite an amazing though that prior to 1964, both station were physically not connected, although there had been failed plans to connect the two previously.

Sorry, Tom, my fault for the lack of clarity.  I was wondering about the two brake vans, not the connection in Blaanau!

But a Llyn Celyn deviation might have led to the Wrexham-Bala-Blaenau Ffestiniog line surviving longer, and hence the Bala Jc-Dolgellau-Arthog section as well; we could have a slightly busier railway map in that part of the world to this day!  Presumably property prices in Blaenau made compulsory purchase of whatever had to be demolished to make the connection a lot more attractive than the cost of building a Llyn Celyn deviation, which might have led to some 'interesting' gradients for class 24s to fail on.

• Like 1

There was always a railway connection in Blaenau it was just 2ft gauge. The connection was severed and when the new Blaenau central station was built in the eighties the Ffestiniog remained on the south side of the corridor.

On the subject to two brake vans. As it was the last service this would have collected potentially any stock lying around that could be why there was two vans.

Keith

Great thread.

Regards,

Tony. 

Both are correct. it all depends what you meant to say. Sat implies that they had been put there, sitting implies that they have remained stationery there. One is transitory and the other in-transitory.

• RMweb Gold

Both are correct. it all depends what you meant to say. Sat implies that they had been put there, sitting implies that they have remained stationery there. One is transitory and the other in-transitory.

There may also be regional variations in usage, and we don’t all speak like schoolteachers... ;)

WOW! What a different perspective!

Khris

A couple more shots between Arenig, Cwm Prysor and finally Cwm Prysor viaduct.

post-24300-0-59182300-1539970198_thumb.png

post-24300-0-42702700-1539970188_thumb.png

post-24300-0-46752300-1539970174_thumb.png

I wish the whole journey had been filmed like this! At least we did get these couple of shots!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 14

No sorry both are wrong in context to this particular Layout. Should be .....

maent wedi bod yn eistedd yn fy nghist / bocs mawr RTR.

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

No sorry both are wrong in context to this particular Layout. Should be .....

maent wedi bod yn eistedd yn fy nghist / bocs mawr RTR.

:jester:

That’s easy for you to say...

(I so wanted to make that joke, but don’t speak Welsh.)

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Premium

But a Llyn Celyn deviation might have led to the Wrexham-Bala-Blaenau Ffestiniog line surviving longer, and hence the Bala Jc-Dolgellau-Arthog section as well; we could have a slightly busier railway map in that part of the world to this day!  Presumably property prices in Blaenau made compulsory purchase of whatever had to be demolished to make the connection a lot more attractive than the cost of building a Llyn Celyn deviation, which might have led to some 'interesting' gradients for class 24s to fail on.

Not a chance.

Beeching or not, BR would never have countenanced major civil engineering spending an a line where the passenger traffic couldn't fill half a carriage.  It is remarkable in some ways that the Kyle Line survived a similar reservoir construction at Loch Luichart less than a decade(?) later, but even there the levels of traffic could justify 4-6 coaches.  Also consider that around the same time as flooding Llyn Celyn, the Hayling Island branch was closed as the bridge across Langstone Harbour needed replacement.  This was deemed unaffordable, despite the fact that the line generated so much traffic that it even BR admitted it to be profitable.

But it's always nice to dream!

• RMweb Gold

Also consider that around the same time as flooding Llyn Celyn, the Hayling Island branch was closed as the bridge across Langstone Harbour needed replacement.  This was deemed unaffordable, despite the fact that the line generated so much traffic that it even BR admitted it to be profitable.

The reason for the latter is that people used the train in preference to being held up at the level crossing... ;)

Not a chance.

Beeching or not, BR would never have countenanced major civil engineering spending an a line where the passenger traffic couldn't fill half a carriage.

It wasn't the job of BR to pay, and apparently Liverpool council were ready to do so...

The line was just about profitable from freight still, but with that decreasing it gave a good excuse to get rid.

It wasn't the job of BR to pay, and apparently Liverpool council were ready to do so...

The line was just about profitable from freight still, but with that decreasing it gave a good excuse to get rid.

Indeed Peter, as the Liverpool Corporation Waterworks Act of 1957 authorized the deviation and finance, 1 million estimated.