• RMweb Gold

Not sure how this applies to the Bala-Blaenau workings, but my pickups feature vehicles which arrive at Cwmdimbath and depart on the return service without ever being unloaded or loaded; they have either been picked up en route from Tondu because the sidings they have been collected from face that way, or are destined to be dropped off on the return journey because those sidings face the other way.  This can quite legitimately include empty opens.

There is an imaginary sawmill and timber merchant and a foundry accessed with private sidings between Glynogwr Jc and Cwmdimbath; the foundry takes an occasional coal wagon, and the timber yard sends regular opens with plank loads out.  These arrive at Cwmdimbath next to the loco, and have to be shunted out so that the goods siding can be accessed by it's traffic.  The pick occasionally includes a fuel oil tanker, Fina, for the heating system in the Remploy industrial estate.  

Lovely photo full of atmosphere as always; this is a properly inspirational layout not just in terms of it's superlative realism and the way it captures the ambience of the location, but in the thought you put in to the actual working of the trains.

• Like 2

Well guys, Lightmoor publishing have released the cover for the new book:

'The Bala Branch' by Martin F Williams and Derek J Lowe

post-24300-0-18671200-1540837829.jpg

It's due for release at Warley, and with only 1000 copies being printed, it will be well worth picking it up.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Available for pre order tomorrow Tom,

Email just received.

Adrian

The price is £25.00. It should be appearing on our website for pre-ordering tomorrow.

Ian

On 29 Oct 2018, at 18:39, Ade Moore wrote:

Hi I see,

The above is due out soon, are we able to reserve one? And the price please

Many Thanks

Adrian Moore

Sent from my iPad

Ian Pope

Accounts Director

Black Dwarf Lightmoor Publications Limited

120 Farmers Close, Witney, OX28 1NR

www.lightmoor.co.uk

Company registered in England & Wales number 5522739

Registered office: 6 Langdale Court, Witney, OX28 6FG

NOTICE & DISCLAIMER : This email (including attachments) is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this mail from your system, and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

Available for pre order tomorrow Tom,

Email just received.

Adrian

The price is £25.00. It should be appearing on our website for pre-ordering tomorrow.

Ian

Cheers Ade!

You wont be disappointed!

Couple more snaps from the operating sequence.

4645 runs bunker first with the 8.30 Pick Up from Trawsfynydd.

post-24300-0-82118400-1540846602_thumb.jpg

9793 approaches Cwm Prysor with the 9.15 off Blaenau.

post-24300-0-37908200-1540846622_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 15

I'm very much in sympathy with your 'no two vans the same' approach; I try to do this on Cwmdimbath, and where vans of the same design exist, they are in different liveries.

Thanks TJ

It's one of biggest enjoyments in the hobby, is distressing vans so they all look somewhat different. I must crack on with getting more finished, I've a few painted up but require transfers and weathering.

• Like 2

Today I finished going through the sequence and it all seems to work (with 18 movements, 20 when the 'last goods train to Blaenau' is added). I've added an instruction regarding 58XX class workings, but other than that I'm unsure if anything else needs adding (suggestions welcome).

post-24300-0-15453600-1540925816_thumb.png

I'm adding three shelves above the fiddle yards (screwed to the back scene board) that will be a place to keep wagons for 'Blaenau', 'Trawsfynydd' and 'Bala'. This allows, a way to sort wagons off scene....and for me help create the illusion that trains are going, depositing and collecting wagons and vans.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

Yesterday evening I had an enjoyable session operating part of the layout. I'm also enjoying changing wagons around in the fiddle yard. I've decided one side will be 'Blaenau' and the other 'Trawsfynydd' and I'll take out individual wagons, so return works look that bit different.....just a little way to (in my mind) make it feel more real.

So here is a photo from last night. Here is 5742 with the 9.48am Bala-Blaenau pick up goods, known on the railway as the 'Pengwern Goods'. This had originated at Ruabon at 5.55am before being shunted for an hour at Bala. It is seen passing through Cwm Prysor at roughly 11.15am. You will notice the tanker towards the rear of the train, destined for the Vanwill Oil Depot at Festiniog (unweathered at this point, but something I intend to amend this week).

attachicon.gifDSC04433.jpg

What an excellent photograph, for some reason the train stands out well with the various different colour shades against the very bleak scenery , something that doesn't stand out as well in a normal low lying scene . Really enjoying this thread as I drive over this area very regularly in my wagon and often deliver animal feed and straw to some of the farms in the area. As I get a good view from the cab I'm often trying to make out where the track bed used to run. 

• Like 6

What an excellent photograph, for some reason the train stands out well with the various different colour shades against the very bleak scenery , something that doesn't stand out as well in a normal low lying scene . Really enjoying this thread as I drive over this area very regularly in my wagon and often deliver animal feed and straw to some of the farms in the area. As I get a good view from the cab I'm often trying to make out where the track bed used to run.

Thanks gismorail.

I suspect with your job you experience the landscape in all weathers. Winter must be rather difficult delivering when the snow comes in! I still try and imagine how isolated it must have been with the railway and no A4212.

Thanks gismorail.

I suspect with your job you experience the landscape in all weathers. Winter must be rather difficult delivering when the snow comes in! I still try and imagine how isolated it must have been with the railway and no A4212.

Most times of the year this area is Gods Country so beautiful and a wonderful place to live, but when the winter comes in with an snow ice and a howling gale it is the bleakest place on Gods earth.

• Like 1

Some cracking photos excellent

It was freezing up there, but I knew with the break in the showers the sun would break through. Once I'd taken the sunrise photos, I got back in the car and headed down the Prysor Valley to my B&B at Trawsfynnyd, about 10 minutes away. I love looking up at the ledge where the railway ran. There are some stunning photos of it in the new Bala Branch book.

It's up for preorder now, plus a rather nice photo of Cwm Prysor on the order page! :)

http://lightmoor.co.uk/view-book.php?ref=L8474&section=CatNew

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

Last Friday I headed down to the track bed near Capel Celyn Halt. As you approach the track bed, a sad lonely reminder of the railway can be seen in the form of a telegraph pole....still standing!

post-24300-0-79983500-1540988950_thumb.jpg

Here is the Capel Celyn viaduct I would like to incorporate onto the extension boards. I worked out roughly in 4mm, it would be about 400mm (roughly 100 foot long).  

post-24300-0-75632300-1540988976_thumb.jpg

The view beyond the viaduct, of course back in 1959, there would have been no lake, only the Afon Tryweryn, weaving it's way down the valley, onwards to Bala before finally joining the River Dee.

post-24300-0-58017800-1540989046_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

There are some stunning photos of it in the new Bala Branch book.

It's up for preorder now, plus a rather nice photo of Cwm Prysor on the order page! :)

http://lightmoor.co.uk/view-book.php?ref=L8474&section=CatNew

I've just ordered mine from Simon at Titfield Thunderbolt books - http://www.titfield.co.uk/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I always think a line of electricity pylons adds to the bleakness, and it doesn't need much adding to up here!.  I agree this is the atmosphere you should be going for, and my impression is that you are doing pretty well!

I always think a line of electricity pylons adds to the bleakness, and it doesn't need much adding to up here!.  I agree this is the atmosphere you should be going for, and my impression is that you are doing pretty well!

I quite like pylons....it's something I considering about whether they should be on the Cwm Prysor Backscene or not.

I little update regarding the crossing. Alan Jones of Coast Line Model has just sent me the latest CAD of the crossing gates. They roughly work out at 20ft from post to post (I measured the last gate last week which came in at just over 19ft....maybe it's shrunk!

For stability, Alan has designed it as one solid piece. Helps keep costs down, and I'm not fussed about the gates opening.

post-24300-0-28237400-1541011555_thumb.png

• Like 9

There is a pylon thread on RMWeb - fascinating detail about different sorts of pylons and how to model them. But I confess that I will be happy to vision the North Devon/Somerset landscape without them, even in the background! 

There is a pylon thread on RMWeb - fascinating detail about different sorts of pylons and how to model them. But I confess that I will be happy to vision the North Devon/Somerset landscape without them, even in the background! 

As a kid, I had a real fascination with Pylons.... a lot of it came from this advert from the late 80s/early 90s. Anyone else remember it?

The pylons seen in the photo at Capel Celyn, follow the path of the railway and then head over the mountains towards Llan Ffestiniog. This power line appeared in around 1960 (I presume in connection to the building of Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station). There is an older power line that shadows the new line but deviates near Capel Celyn and follows the route of the old Bala-Ffestiniog road.

On days I've been bored, I've followed the power line routes on google maps! :lol:

Edited by 9793
  • Like 6

Some fiddle yard amendments.

I've now added shelves (awaiting the Bala one) so that Wagons can be marshalled out on a Trawsfynydd Shelf and Blaenau Ffestiniog Shelf. The Blaenau shelf technically covers, Maentwrog Road, Ffestiniog, Manod etc. It's just a nice way for me to help recreate the feel of a working railway. I will be amending the sequence to include suggestions on wagons to be deposited and collected.

post-24300-0-15536500-1541164065_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-15870000-1541164119_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-32175700-1541164138_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Tom, do you have any close up photos of the Presflo wagon - it looks good!

E_R

Hi E_R

No problem. One of Tony Wright's photos from the Railway Modeller article from a couple of years back.

post-24300-0-08317100-1541173939_thumb.jpg

I need to crack on with a fair few more!

• Like 6