Not to mention the time we spent in the car park...

Ah yes, When we were locked the station site at Askrigg (now a vets). I’d like to say it was in our misspent youth....but it was past May!!!

Some months ago, I posted what I thought was the full video made documenting the flooding of the Tryweryn Valley. What I posted wasn't the full video!

I've just found it on the BFI website... it's far longer (better quality)....and the footage of 5774 is extended at 3 minutes 31 seconds.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-tryweryn-the-story-of-a-valley-1965-online

A couple of things I noticed.

Normally I've seen 5 or 6 presflos in a pickup goods. In this case, other than one Van, and a coal wagon, this is entirely made up of Presflos! Also, look at the side movement of 5774 as she climbs the gradient.

I'm almost 100% sure this is just before Capel Celyn Halt, as goods trains were often banked from Bala as far as Arenig. The Toad looks rather dark for unfitted (but I don't see why it would be fitted) The Ruabon Toad seen at Trawsfynydd in the new 'Bala Branch' book is also rather dark, almost black! :scratchhead:

The guard looks to be the familiar character of James Roberts. Thoughts welcome (always helps to have another pair of eyes on things).

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

I'd say the darkness of the toad is down to dirt and weathering, Tom; they never got cleaned except on the insides.  And it's a fairly dark piece of film anyway, the usual dull weather being likely the cause.

5774 is certainly wiggling about a bit!

Edited by The Johnster

I'd say the darkness of the toad is down to dirt and weathering, Tom; they never got cleaned except on the insides.  And it's a fairly dark piece of film anyway, the usual dull weather being likely the cause.

5774 is certainly wiggling about a bit!

Morning TJ

It's a fascinating bit of film! The Presflo shots are going to be immensely useful for weathering. Here are a few screenshots.

post-24300-0-87078900-1543993509_thumb.png

post-24300-0-19035800-1543993542_thumb.png

post-24300-0-03485800-1543993588_thumb.png

post-24300-0-70953000-1543993611_thumb.png

Probably too difficult to tell in that light what the diagram of Toad is?

The sound must have been deafening in that cutting!

• Like 6

Morning Tom.

With a bit of 'Auto adjust', this is how it comes out.

Rob.

Thanks for that Rob.

Compared to the mineral wagon it’s certainly not grey. Looks bauxite to my eyes.

The handrails look like they have right angled brackets, like an AA23 (as opposed to handrail going through a 90 degree bend)?

Ah yes, I’d missed that! Sounds like it’s an AA23 possibly.

Looking at the lettering, there doesn't appear to be a black patch behind it, which suggests bauxite as well

Alex

Cheers Alex, and thanks all!

I'm going to crack on with further Toad's over the Christmas. I've just ordered some more AA15s which I'll convert to AA19s/AA20s. 

These conversions I fully admit will not be like the last one where I replaced the axle boxes etc. Yes it is more accurate now, but it doesn't run as well as it did before! I'll get it finished though, and it's an example of a close AA19. The new ones, I'll replace the buffers, alter the ends of the footboards to look more like an AA19/AA20 with rod type footboard hangars and that's about it.

Thanks to PGH of this forum, and his fantastic thread.... I have another Branch Toad I can model (although it doesn't look to be an allocated member of the class).

post-24300-0-28048000-1544034726.jpg

More Here

• Like 8

5774 has had a coat of Klear to seal the transfers and the laser glaze added. Plan to add the final bits tomorrow evening ready for weathering. Still very pleased with the results of the topfeed and pipework removal.

post-24300-0-34411200-1544049315_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

5774 has had a coat of Klear to seal the transfers and the laser glaze added. Plan to add the final bits tomorrow evening ready for weathering. Still very pleased with the results of the topfeed and pipework removal.

attachicon.gif8FD55B44-2322-49D3-8860-80D7815A1907.jpeg

That's very fine work indeed, Tom. You look as if you've left absolutely no trace of the top feed fittings whatsoever, which is quite some achievement, in my opinion.

That's very fine work indeed, Tom. You look as if you've left absolutely no trace of the top feed fittings whatsoever, which is quite some achievement, in my opinion.

Thanks Tim

I must admit, now it's had a coat of Klear on top, I'm really pleased with the finish and the traces of the 'job' are relatively small. Once weathered it's fair to say there will be little to no trace!

I suppose now I've done one, there is nothing to stop me! I've three others to choose from (all 8750s), 9669, 8791 and 3749. 

• Like 1

Do you dilute the Klear before you apply it, Tom?

Also, do you apply it by airbrush or by brush-painting it on, please?

Neat from the bottle, and with flat brush. It's interesting that on a painted model (as I'd sprayed it with Chaos Black) you can have a fairly wet brush and it pretty much all drys/absorbed.

However on RTR I have to get rid of the excess on the brush, as it will pool/run on the model if you have too much. 

I read you have now acquired a can of chaos black (or whatever they have called it now). How you finding it?

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Neat from the bottle, and with flat brush. It's interesting that on a painted model (as I'd sprayed it with Chaos Black) you can have a fairly wet brush and it pretty much all drys/absorbed.

However on RTR I have to get rid of the excess on the brush, as it will pool/run on the model if you have too much. 

Interesting.

I've only used Klear so far as a means of 'gluing' ballast together on 'Callow Lane', although I found the end result to be a bit brittle, which I didn't think was a good idea for a portable exhibition layout, so I then added some diluted PVA and the result is now nice and solid.

I've not been a great fan of acrylic paints so far. About 20 years ago, I built a DJH whitemetal 80XXX 2-6-4T, painted and lined it and decided to use an acrylic varnish to seal it all in. Not really realising what I was doing, I diluted the varnish slightly with water and the whole result was disasterous, appalling finish and running varnish. The whole thing was salvaged by the quick use of a good quality paint brush to brush-paint the varnish smooth and add sufficient additional varnish and the result was a nice, smooth finish.

Just a few months later, Bachmann announced their R-T-R version!

I read you have now acquired a can of chaos black (or whatever they have called it now). How you finding it?

If only I had sufficient time at the moment to try the stuff out! It's sitting on the shelf in my railway room at the moment, waiting to be used.

I may well re-spray a Bachmann 8750 pannier that acquired a new chassis a few years ago, once I've added additional detail to the body and/or re-spray my 74XX, once I've converted it from a Bachmann 64XX.

Interesting.

I've only used Klear so far as a means of 'gluing' ballast together on 'Callow Lane', although I found the end result to be a bit brittle, which I didn't think was a good idea for a portable exhibition layout, so I then added some diluted PVA and the result is now nice and solid.

I've not been a great fan of acrylic paints so far. About 20 years ago, I built a DJH whitemetal 80XXX 2-6-4T, painted and lined it and decided to use an acrylic varnish to seal it all in. Not really realising what I was doing, I diluted the varnish slightly with water and the whole result was disasterous, appalling finish and running varnish. The whole thing was salvaged by the quick use of a good quality paint brush to brush-paint the varnish smooth and add sufficient additional varnish and the result was a nice, smooth finish.

I'm an enamel man too! I use Klear on top of and underneath enamels and it's always been fine. Klear gives a nice 4mm scale gloss finish (to my eyes), here of A3 Prince of Wales I weathered (ex works) from a photo for Tony Wright.

post-24300-0-77486900-1544135592_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your 74XX! :)

• Like 7

Just back home from a really enjoyable first time operating John Elliot's Leeds City North!

Certainly a little more complex than Cwm Prysor!!! :lol:

post-24300-0-92218700-1544302086_thumb.jpg

Special thanks to John, and not forgetting Kevin for being my transportation! It's certainly given me some thought regarding operating once I get to Bala.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 8

Good to meet you Tom. :yes:

Hope it didn't phase you too much?

Great to meet you too Andy! 

I'll be honest, at first I was worried it would all go over my head, but as the day went on it really began to make sense. What I loved most of all though, was the feeling that you operating the real railway!

Looking forward to the next time!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3