Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Hi Tom, would you tell me where you get the Archer rivet transfers from, please? And what size do you use? Happy Christmas, Dai Davies

This is a good set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F7FY45Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Relationships are important, and I'm sure you'll find the right one sooner or later (let's hope sooner).  It's horrible when one finishes, but for all of us that are in relationships, we can do no more than intend well and state no more than that every one of our relationships has ended except the present one.  The hobby is a major element in my own sanity.  

Don't beat yourself up, mate, and keep ticking the boxes.  Cwm Prysor is a phenomenal layout, and you still have Lass to help you absorb the atmosphere, coming at you at Force 10...   Thanks for posting the latest photos, a lovely evocation of that wild and wooly place!

Lass keeps me sane, and on the right track, I do not know what I'd do without her. The last relationship was my first in 12 years (when I was 19). It was the result of me dabbling into online dating. At the time I wasn't sure how I felt with her, but we saw each other for around 2 and half months until she became distant (she was only a year out of a divorce with a young son). I've struggled to move on (I've not tried contacting her since our final text at the beginning of January). I think ultimately I've always had a purpose, caring for my late dad through his illness, and now I feel a bit lost. The hobby fills that hole to some extent, but I have moments recently where that loneliness really hits home. I've an appointment with a counsellor in the new year.

Anyhow, I'm sorry for going on a bit!

The Bala Toad has had it's rivets added, and I can start to think about it having its top coat added.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Your comment about feeling a bit lost and purposeless after losing your Dad, who you'd cared for, rings true with me!  A relationship would 'find' you and give you a purpose, of course, but my advice FWIW (and you can judge that by the fact that nobody's ever offered me anything for it) is to consider that a relationship is not the only way to do this, and focussing too strongly on that aspect could lead you into 'settling' for a relationship that isn't really right for you.  If your last one fizzled out because the lady became 'distant', this is likely to have left you wondering if you are in some way to blame and could have handled things better, but it may simply be that she found someone else, or felt she was in over her head after her own failed marriage that she was still licking the wounds from, and not your fault at all; she may have been too embarrassed or ashamed to explain how she was feeling.

Give Lass a biscuit from me, Tom, she's obviously worth her weight!   Looking forward to photos of the riveted Toad (thought it was frogs that went 'rivet').  

• Like 2

I have found RM Web to be a good family to belong to not only for the modelling skills, but the supportive nature of the members.

Living on my own, which I am used to, I make sure I get out and about by belonging to a number of groups.

I belong to the local Bristol P4 group that meets weekly as well as a model railway group further south in Somerset that I attend twice a week. Then there is the Avon Valley Railway where I am now a less active member compared to three or four years ago due to health, this is also useful for getting detailed information for modelling purposes.

Finally the two Series 2 Land Rover groups that meet monthly. This gets me out as far afield as Devils Bridge for the meet up with the West Midlands S2 group.

That makes up three circles of friends who in various ways get me out and about on a regular basis and keep the grey matter busy.

Being retired I have come to the conclusion that you need at least two hobbies, one that you can do indoors and another that gets you out and about.

Model railways is two thirds an indoor hobby as I get out and about visiting heritage railways and archives carrying out specific research. My Land Rover is mostly out door as I do not have a garage. Green laning is enjoyable when pursued in a responsible manner.

Keep at it, but don't bury yourself in one hole.

Give Lass a biscuit from me as well.

Gordon A

PS It would be nice to see a picture of your Land Rover.

Thank you all for the kind comments. Today has not been bad, and I've felt fairly positive.
Electrician came out today to look at the extra lighting I want in the shed before the Capel Celyn-Bala extension. He's coming to fit them in January.

Tonight I've sprayed the Bala Toad...

post-24300-0-25846400-1545170425_thumb.jpg

Transfers next. :)

• Like 9

Hi Tom, would you tell me where you get the Archer rivet transfers from, please? And what size do you use? Happy Christmas, Dai Davies

Type the phrase “archers rivets uk” into google, and you will find plenty of suppliers (including amazon) in less time than it took you to type the above! ;)

To be fair though "88D" asked the question I wanted the answer to too. Which size or catalogue number please Tom ?   

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold

To be fair though "88D" asked the question I wanted the answer to too. Which size or catalogue number please Tom ?

Funnily enough, Amazon is the first hit the search came up with for me.

The same as Tom just supplied.

To find the ones you need, compare the catalogue with the sizes and spacing listed, which is what Tom did.

To be fair, had you done this, you would be a day ahead of where you are now.

Funnily enough, Amazon is the first hit the search came up with for me.

The same as Tom just supplied.

To find the ones you need, compare the catalogue with the sizes and spacing listed, which is what Tom did.

To be fair, had you done this, you would be a day ahead of where you are now.

Of course I would "Regularity".  How absolutely brilliantly kind of you to point that out to me.  I really would never have thought of doing that.

In fact I am thinking I really need to stick around you and pick up many more useful little nuggets of your advice because you seem a really sharp cookie.  

A decision made this Christmas break was to get the work room sorted....one because it was tip and I hardly work in there, but more importantly it needed to be far more cleanly before I begin the commission work.

post-24300-0-99186900-1545257221_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-72068100-1545257252_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-26990400-1545257265_thumb.jpg

Next few days I'll begin transfer work on the AA3 Toad.

• Like 14

Would you like to come and tidy up my work room, Tom??

Ha, I think one room is enough! Plus I've not sorted all my railway books yet!

Dad always use to say 'You can only read one book at once, why can't our Tom put one book back before getting another one out!'

I'm listening to you Dad! Honest! 

Edited by 9793

A decision made this Christmas break was to get the work room sorted....one because it was tip and I hardly work in there, but more importantly it needed to be far more cleanly before I begin the commission work.

attachicon.gifIMG_1110.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1109.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1111.jpg

Next few days I'll begin transfer work on the AA3 Toad.

Wot, no Duette?......and that bench is far too tidy... :no:

Tonight's modelling.

One side done, the other tomorrow night.

post-24300-0-78624300-1545340506_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-42603600-1545340489_thumb.jpg

It's interesting that the branding positioning is different on the other side (lucky to have two photos of both sides). Fiddly job, but well worth the effort.

• Like 18

Note the unusual short rainstrip over the verandah end only.

Ooooh, thanks for that Russ! I'll get some mircostrip sorted tomorrow!

Here is the other side.

post-24300-0-80323900-1545341834_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Tonight's modelling.

One side done, the other tomorrow night.

attachicon.gifIMG_1137.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1130.jpg

It's interesting that the branding positioning is different on the other side (lucky to have two photos of both sides). Fiddly job, but well worth the effort.

Brilliant job, I need to do that on my Toad for my Bala Layout.

Always love looking at your pics etc.

• RMweb Gold

Also, there is quite a difference not just in the shade of grey, but also in the tonal difference between the black lettering boxes and the body colour.

Not sure if this is a photographic effect of contrast, or different shades of paint/weathering/fading, but the differing locations for branding suggest a visit to the wagon works for a new coat of paint at some point between the photos.

The first is dated 1955 - can just see the date in the picture. When was the second taken?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tom,

That’s a really neat paint tin rack. It looks laser cut. Was it a one off, or is it commercially available?

Edit: not sure what a “pain tin” is, but it sounds unpleasant!

Edited by Regularity

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

This is a good set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F7FY45Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lass keeps me sane, and on the right track, I do not know what I'd do without her. The last relationship was my first in 12 years (when I was 19). It was the result of me dabbling into online dating. At the time I wasn't sure how I felt with her, but we saw each other for around 2 and half months until she became distant (she was only a year out of a divorce with a young son). I've struggled to move on (I've not tried contacting her since our final text at the beginning of January). I think ultimately I've always had a purpose, caring for my late dad through his illness, and now I feel a bit lost. The hobby fills that hole to some extent, but I have moments recently where that loneliness really hits home. I've an appointment with a counsellor in the new year.

Anyhow, I'm sorry for going on a bit!

The Bala Toad has had it's rivets added, and I can start to think about it having its top coat added.

Sometimes these things are best discussed here than in person. It may be the distance between people, it may be the ability to edit ones thoughts afterwards, but I've certainly found that the most personal stuff I discuss is with some of the fantastic people on here, even if it is usually via PM.

Also, there is quite a difference not just in the shade of grey, but also in the tonal difference between the black lettering boxes and the body colour.

Not sure if this is a photographic effect of contrast, or different shades of paint/weathering/fading, but the differing locations for branding suggest a visit to the wagon works for a new coat of paint at some point between the photos.

The first is dated 1955 - can just see the date in the picture. When was the second taken?

Quite possible, but you can only see one side at a time. ;) no date for the second photo, however it looks to be Blaenau and the rear coach livery suggests early to mid 1950s, so similar period.

Work has halted on this Toad as I’ve damaged the other transfers slightly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite possible, but you can only see one side at a time. ;) no date for the second photo, however it looks to be Blaenau and the rear coach livery suggests early to mid 1950s, so similar period.

Bit of a , isn’t it?

I wondered if maybe the darker one was in GWR grey, with minimal patching/addition of W to the number, and the lighter one a repaint by BR.

If so, you may have conflated the earlier colour with the later pattern of branding.

But this is mere supposition, without a reliable date for the second photo - but it does highlight one of the joys of finescale, which is tracking down this sort of information and learning more about the prototype, to make better models.

Work has halted on this Toad as I’ve damaged the other transfers slightly.

Bummer.
  • Like 1

To my eyes, they look the same colour, it’s just the 1955 one, the Toad looks grubbier.

It’s all an interpretation after all. It’s all coming together nicely.

P.S transfers will be here after Christmas, so today I’m currently working on one of the larger Toads.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3