Doesn’t have to using the auto fittings. Autocoaches were used in normal service, for example on the Lambourn branch, where there were ground level halts because of the retractable steps.

The autocoach could still be at the front: just the non-auto stock needs to be at the rear of the train, so could be autocoach-engine-others or engine-autocoach-others.

Apologies Simon, I’ve only just seen your post.

That makes sense.

Will make quite a scene leaving Bala of an Autocoach, Loco followed by a Brake Composite.

Edited by 9793

As Christmas Eve approaches it's close, I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, or perhaps Nadolig Llawen is more appropriate!

It's been a funny year.... started at a very low point, but ending in a better place I think. Capel Celyn boards will be here in the Spring, with Bala to follow! Positive thoughts!

To finish with, a photo from this afternoon.

post-24300-0-84021100-1545688226_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A very happy xmas from a less photogenic, overcast, and rather cold Cardiff!  

Auto trailers could be seen on non-auto workings; as well as the Lambourn branch already mentioned where they were used because of the retractable steps for ground level, they seem to have not been uncommon on the Abergwynfi branch down at the other end of Wales from Cwm Prysor if the photographic evidence is any indication (and my layout, Cwmdimbath, is based loosely on Abergwynfi).  I assume, as I have never seen an explanation for this, that the allocation of auto-fitted locos to Tondu, which had to cover work on this branch, Gilfach Goch, Nantgarw, Ogmore Vale and later Porthcawl as well, was insufficient to cover the work if one or two were out of service with a boiler wash, or minor repairs, or works visits.  Mostly 57xx and 8750 panniers seem to have been used with 2 or 3 coach rakes of hauled trailers, which of course had to be run around at the termini.  Even if boiler washouts every 10 working days were confined to weekends, Saturday services ran on all these branches so the only regular respite was Sundays.

Merry Christmas all!

Well things haven't gone quite to plan....

Last night a friend called, and as I went to the front door, my left knee sort of buckled backwards on itself and I fell, in doing so my right ankle must have taken the full force of the fall.

Initially I did not think I had hurt myself...... it wasn't until a few hours later that it really began to hurt. So much so I had to hobble about using my Dad's crutches and I finally got to sleep at 3. However this morning it's feeling better, I can at least walk on it but it's still very sore.

Off for Christmas dinner shortly, at least I'm sat down!

Edited by 9793

Thank you for all the kind comments!
The foot has  generally eased over the day and I can walk on it fine (although it's a little tender!)

I've had a lovely afternoon with neighbours and now back home with Lass (she got more presents than me!)
Some interesting literature was opened today, I fully admit a couple of them were bought for myself (no shame in that).

post-24300-0-91933900-1545765342_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas all!

Well things haven't gone quite to plan....

Last night a friend called, and as I went to the front door, my left knee sort of buckled backwards on itself and I fell, in doing so my right ankle must have taken the full force of the fall.

Initially I did not think I had hurt myself...... it wasn't until a few hours later that it really began to hurt. So much so I had to hobble about using my Dad's crutches and I finally got to sleep at 3. However this morning it's feeling better, I can at least walk on it but it's still very sore.

Off for Christmas dinner shortly, at least I'm sat down!

Tom, get that checked and seen to.

My wife, at that time someone I had only met once at work (our first date was 4 days later) twisted her ankle slipping off the bottom stair tread. Being (at the time) a junior doctor, she decided she knew best and didn’t have it checked. Here we are, just one month short of 26 years later, and it has caused cumulative shocks to her hip, such that she now needs a replacement.

Get yourself to a local minor injury unit tomorrow, just to make sure it hasn’t affected how you walk.

Tom, get that checked and seen to.

My wife, at that time someone I had only met once at work (our first date was 4 days later) twisted her ankle slipping off the bottom stair tread. Being (at the time) a junior doctor, she decided she knew best and didn’t have it checked. Here we are, just one month short of 26 years later, and it has caused cumulative shocks to her hip, such that she now needs a replacement.

Get yourself to a local minor injury unit tomorrow, just to make sure it hasn’t affected how you walk.

I appreciate the concern Simon, thank you!

However the foot is a lot better, I'm walking about now with no limp.......and it's 60 mile round trip to my closest A&E. Should I be having any discomfort in a day or so I'll go to the Doctors, but I think we are over the worse. The more I'm using the foot the better it feels.

More important is I push with the weight loss........if you are a big bloke, when you fall...you fall with a bang.

Lass and I are going for a boxing day walk tomorrow down by the river. I'll take the camera with me.

Some Christmas Day treat spending! I've just purchased some Hornby Collett's to make up the workings for the formation below.

Looking at the formation for the 3.45 Wrexham-Bala working, which compromises 'Compo X, Van Second X, Second', one can presume that the Brake (Van Second) is in the middle of the train, was this unusual?

Also the train picks up at Bala a Brake Composite (Dia 49) (not marked as corridor) and will most likely be a Collett E157 or Hawksworth E167. This coach was for school pupils from the school at Bala heading home to the likes of Llandrillo and Corwen. Having a non corridor crimson coach at the rear of three corridor coaches should be an interesting sight

post-24300-0-60732000-1545785223.png

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

Hi Tom, My Bala thread will start 1st Jan in the 7mm Section, don't get excited, it's nothing like yours or the prototype but in 7mm and will include a representation of Bala Jct and Bala Town, all freelance, but as we holiday there twice a year, I love the place, and I'm rubbish at copying prototypes.

Please keep the pics coming, both model and prototype, I have a job to tell the difference as your representation is so good.

• Like 5

Looking at the formation for the 3.45 Wrexham-Bala working, which compromises 'Compo X, Van Second X, Second', one can presume that the Brake (Van Second) is in the middle of the train, was this unusual?

What year is this formation from? 2nd class was obsolete on the GWR by 1912.  Also the last vehicle is not written as corridor so the corridor portion was presumably linked together hence the break in the middle.  Usually 2nd class were downgraded to 3rds.

• RMweb Gold

Some interesting literature was opened today, I fully admit a couple of them were bought for myself (no shame in that).

attachicon.gif69552EE4-E113-492B-A7E1-AF4FC60018B4.jpeg

Christmas can be a good time to address shortages of key books in your personal library, can't it?

I've started looking through the new Lightmoor book on the Bala - Blaenau Ffestiniog line and what a gem it is. Having my own copy makes me appreciate the lovely painting they have used on the front cover, too.

• Like 2

What year is this formation from? 2nd class was obsolete on the GWR by 1912.  Also the last vehicle is not written as corridor so the corridor portion was presumably linked together hence the break in the middle.  Usually 2nd class were downgraded to 3rds.

1956, after 3rd class was abolished by BR I believe. My mistake regarding the coaches, all three are corridor.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

it's 60 mile round trip to my closest A&E

All I'll say about MIUs is that they are often closer than A&E departments and frequently have much shorter queues!

Best of luck, either way.

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate the concern Simon, thank you!

However the foot is a lot better, I'm walking about now with no limp.......and it's 60 mile round trip to my closest A&E. Should I be having any discomfort in a day or so I'll go to the Doctors, but I think we are over the worse. The more I'm using the foot the better it feels.

More important is I push with the weight loss........if you are a big bloke, when you fall...you fall with a bang.

Lass and I are going for a boxing day walk tomorrow down by the river. I'll take the camera with me.

All I'll say about MIUs is that they are often closer than A&E departments and frequently have much shorter queues!

Best of luck, either way.

Also, it was suggested to my wife (by another medic) that she get it checked at A&E, but she declined, as it was “getting better”.

Don’t want you looking back on this conversation with regret in 25 years!

• RMweb Premium

This thread has fast become one of my favourites, the epitome of less is more - but  on a personal note please take care and get your foot/ankle looked at, as I found when slipping on a muddy path - two years of surgery etc.....and I was an NHS manager!  Believe me you don't want to be here....

post-10195-0-13995700-1546026715.png