• RMweb Gold

I also have a Bachmann Fina, my only tank wagon.  It also appears on the pickup a couple of times a week 'as required' and delivers heating fuel for the common user system on the trading estate, and therefore has to be shunted in behind the NPCCS at the loading bay (the fuel discharge is actually off-scene).  I have only very lightly weathered mine; your's looks much better!

Van accommodation in the middle of shorter trains was a fairly common occurrence, and replicated by most types of 2 car dmus. The reason for it is that it means that the van is very conveniently located close to the station building at most intermediate stations on the branch line or stopping main line work that shorter trains were usually to be found on.

I also have a Bachmann Fina, my only tank wagon.  It also appears on the pickup a couple of times a week 'as required' and delivers heating fuel for the common user system on the trading estate, and therefore has to be shunted in behind the NPCCS at the loading bay (the fuel discharge is actually off-scene).  I have only very lightly weathered mine; your's looks much better!

Sounds like a similar situation. I only have need for one, but may preorder the Anchor Mounted FINA one due out from Bachmann just as an alternative. Other than that I have no tanker traffic. That changes when it comes to Bala however....

The 10.45am Barmouth-Ruabon class K would work to Bala Junction, and then reverse the whole train the 1/2 mile distance into Bala. I have a photo of this train, and there are several oil tankers....not from Bala, but from the Oil Depot that was situated west of Dolgellau (and as seen here on Geoff Taylor's layout).

post-24300-0-04388900-1546200946_thumb.jpg

It will be a nice train depict (with a 43XX at the front!)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Your traffic is real, and mine made up, but I think rational and not impossible or even that unlikely for a South Wales valley.  Local businesses relied on rail until quite late here, certainly up to around 1960; a friend's parents ran a gents outfitters in Tonyrefail (such a business would be impossible nowadays) and were supplied with stock almost entirely by rail, which they picked up from the goods shed, or the station if it came in on a passenger train's van, in an A35 van.

I love this almost imaginary aspect of the model, which give the railway life and a raison d'etre.

Edited by The Johnster

Tom, love the layout and the thought processes behind it.

I have a little personal story that relates to the line after closure. In 1962 or 1963 I spent 3 days walking in the area as a practice for my Duke of Edinburgh Gold expedition. At one point we (5 of us) were walking along the track bed in glorious sunshine ( it sometimes happens!) and as we passed a remote cottage at the edge of the track bed an old lady came out and asked if we would like a cup of tea! We said yes and a few minutes later she re appeared with a tray with cups of tea and plates of home made current cake. We spent the next 10 minutes devouring the cake and drinking tea, before bidding the old lady farewell and with thanks for the tea and cake. As a 15 year old I was struck by the act of kindness which I have always remembered.

Reading this thread has reminded me of this act of generosity and the goodness of strangers in a remote and wild landscape. The layout captures the remoteness perfectly and the standard of modelling is exemplary.

I will follow with great interest and see how it developed.

David

• Like 8

Many thanks David, and thank you for sharing that lovely memory!

and as we passed a remote cottage at the edge of the track bed an old lady came out and asked if we would like a cup of tea! 

I have to wonder, but it sounds like it was  possibly the Cwm Prysor cottage keepers house you walked by!
post-24300-0-64251900-1546279561_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year as well Tom. Been great reading about your modelling exploits with Cym Prysor over the past year.

Knowing the area well you have captured the atmosphere perfectly. As others have commented I also received a copy of Williams & Lowe's Bala Branch for Christmas and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about the history of the line.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Happy New Year as well Tom. Been great reading about your modelling exploits with Cym Prysor over the past year.

Knowing the area well you have captured the atmosphere perfectly. As others have commented I also received a copy of Williams & Lowe's Bala Branch for Christmas and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about the history of the line.

Cheers,

Mark

Happy New Year to you too Mark!

I'm glad you are enjoying the book. I spoke to Martin earlier and I've passed on your comments. :)

With some paint left over, I've brush painted the under frame of this BR High Sided All Steel, given the sides a wash (removing the majority) and given the interior sides a coat of Revell 84. The plank interior has been treated to several washes some months ago.

post-24300-0-77754500-1546293999_thumb.jpg

However, that's it for tonight. I've cleaned the brushes, turned the light off on the workbench and intend to relax tonight. Not a big fan of New Year to be honest, but I feel a 100% better than I did a year ago tonight.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year to you too Mark!

I'm glad you are enjoying the book. I spoke to Martin earlier and I've passed on your comments. :)

With some paint left over, I've brush painted the under frame of this BR High Sided All Steel, given the sides a wash (removing the majority) and given the interior sides a coat of Revell 84. The plank interior has been treated to several washes some months ago.

attachicon.gifIMG_1364.jpg

However, that's it for tonight. I've cleaned the brushes, turned the light off on the workbench and intend to relax tonight. Not a big fan of New Year to be honest, but I feel a 100% better than I did a year ago tonight.

Nicely restrained.

Any likelihood of putting dimples on the inside to match up with the pimples on the outside?

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Simon!

Nicely restrained.
Any likelihood of putting dimples on the inside to match up with the pimples on the outside?

Happy New Year!

I had considered it but as there is an even bigger error in there on Bachmann's part, I've decided to leave it....and once weathered and loaded, you wont be able to tell! 

• RMweb Gold

I had considered it but as there is an even bigger error in there on Bachmann's part, I've decided to leave it.

Bachman made an error? Whatever next?

...and once weathered and loaded, you wont be able to tell!

A wagon sheet hides even more sins than a coat of paint!

Those dimple/pimple things are a real pita. Once you know they should be there, and why, it’s hard to ignore them when only the outsiders modelled! Sometimes learning is its own reward. Sometimes its own punishment. And because even fate likes a laugh now and again, sometimes it’s both!

• RMweb Gold

Bachman made an error? Whatever next?

A wagon sheet hides even more sins than a coat of paint!

Those dimple/pimple things are a real pita. Once you know they should be there, and why, it’s hard to ignore them when only the outsiders modelled! Sometimes learning is its own reward. Sometimes its own punishment. And because even fate likes a laugh now and again, sometimes it’s both!

One advantage of building the Parkside kit, I suppose, in that it's much easier to 'do something about it' when the two sides of the wagon are easily accessible.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if some trick painting - trompe l'oeil pockets - would work, for normal viewing anyway??

I suppose you could draw the lines for the wagon doors on, but for me the skill involved in creating a trompe l'oeil exceeds that required to create 'inside dimples'.

Interesting thoughts.

However it's not a route I intend to go down. I didn't amend my 16Ts either as it happens so for me, I'm happy to overlook such things and focus my time on the overall finish. 

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Who could argue with such disarming openness?

You know what you want to achieve, and what you are prepared to overlook to get there.

For me, I am happy to use a single casting for tumbler, push rods, shoes and vee hanger if appropriate to prototype when it comes to wagon brakes on “layout models”, and bits of carefully bent wire rather than lots of painfully soldered tiny pins in joints for various operating rods.

No doubt someone is going to at least think of mentioning the fatuous “rule 1” (fatuous because of course it’s your model railway and you can do what you like, including powering model steam engines with an electric motor) but this is something more fundamental to a successful layout: a definition of standards, to be applied across the board. This, not track gauge or prototypical wheel profiles, defines your modelling as “finescale”.

• Like 1

That’s nice.

Now, when do we get to see some grass? ;)

Hehe! A friend has just been saying exactly the same on the phone not 10 minutes ago! ;)

Well, I've been using 'I need the crossing gates' as a bit of an excuse I think. I can always go as far as the baseboard join in fairness and work on the Trawsfynydd end board. I think it's a case of caution...worry.....lack of confidence. Everything has gone as I'd hoped with Cwm Prysor...the landscaping is as I mentally pictured it all those years ago and I'm so pleased with the rolling landscape of the layout.

I just need to get over this last hurdle and do it! I know how I want it to look, and there is no reason it won't look like how I envision it. I have all the grass fibres ready to go! 

I think once I begin my new job of 'weathering commissions' at the end of next week, then the desire to do something 'different' is going to push me to focus on the layout.....that's the plan....  :mail:

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

Tom, personally I would defer doing the grass for the moment as you are extending the layout and it may be better to leave untill you can do both sections at the same time. As you have already demonstrated consistency is key and I would find it difficult to do one section and then some time later do the next.

Your modelling is very inspirational, look forward to progress.

David

Tom, personally I would defer doing the grass for the moment as you are extending the layout and it may be better to leave untill you can do both sections at the same time. As you have already demonstrated consistency is key and I would find it difficult to do one section and then some time later do the next.

Your modelling is very inspirational, look forward to progress.

David

Hi David!

That’s very kind of you to say.

The layout extension shouldn’t have any effect on the scenics for Cwm Prysor as there is a firm scenic break between the two (literally the train goes through a portal), as each layout (Cwm Prysor, Capel Celyn and Bala) are in real life, miles apart. Capel Celyn for example is about 5-6 miles from Cwm Prysor and is enclosed in its own world with how the scenic break/backscene comes around. The open moorland for Cwm Prysor won’t be exactly the same as the upland pastures of Capel Celyn.

So with that in mind, and Cwm Prysor in its own little bubble, it should be fine to get on with the scenics. I really need to get it finished in the next six months so I can at least say it’s pretty much done and finally get the article written for Railway Modeller that’s been promised to Steve Flint for 2 years!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1