Just noticed - by chance - that there is a job lot of Lego on eBay at £18,000..........

Certainly looks like a method worth trying.

Think I’ll pass! :lol:

I actually bought the pieces I use off eBay in small bags for a fairly cheap price!

Some good news, I plan to start the grass work this Saturday!

• Like 3

Morning all!
I'm looking at depicting slate loads being transported from Blaenau- Bala. It's something a bit different as most loaded trains are coming from Bala, and empties form Blaenau....so this makes a change.

However after doing some research, it does look like the loads of slate would be covered with a tarpaulin. It would make sense I guess as handling wet slate wouldn't be ideal really. Any further knowledge on this?

Interesting, Tom.

How long did Blaenau slate get transported out of the district by rail, via Bala?

Slate continued to be exported until the branch closed as far as I'm aware, and it also went out via the LNWR Conwy Valley line too.

Edited by 9793

I'm struggling to see why slate loads should be tarpaulined.

I presume because slate is fairly slippy when wet and could be awkward to handle when unloading. 

Photos of open wagons in trains on the branch appear to show a number of them to be tarpaulined (granted they could be carrying anything), but in a couple of photos they are tarpaulined travelling from Blaenau to Bala. Most trains are importing goods to Blaenau, and run empty back to Bala......slate is the only freight I can think of that would be exported from Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Edited by 9793

I was under the impression slates were stacked vertically, with loads of straw to cushion them. Bearing in mind the intended use for roofing slates I wouldn't have thought tarpaulins were necessary and would have cost the company in terms of time to sheet the wagons.

Interested to see any evidence  

• RMweb Gold

Now, I have no idea what the reason for tarping slate loads was, but have a suggestion to offer; it might have been to keep them dry in order to inhibit the growth of algae on them.  They were never tarped on the narrow gauge railways, but spent a much shorter time in transit in these situations.  One would then have to ask if they were tarped in storage at whatever builder's merchant they were destined for.

I'm sure somebody here will have a definitive answer.

Well, that's my stint on rolling stock done for the time being. 

My third 16T, a variation on a theme.

I'm really pleased with what I've managed to get finished! However I've not a layout to grass!

attachicon.gifDSC05075 (1).jpg

9793 passes Cwm Prysor with the 5.45am Bala-Trawsfynydd Class K. As can be seen, other than the 16T with domestic coal, the train is comprised of wagons for the building of Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station.

Excellent modelling Tom,

Just discovered this thread following your helpful comment on lamp irons etc ... have really enjoyed getting up to speed.

Cheers.

Did any of the quarries around Blaenau produce powdered slate (sometimes called 'Fullersite') that was used in various industries (paint and soap manufacture being two uses I've seen mentioned)? I know that Penrhyn quarries produced this, but if it was produced in Blaenau Ffestiniog, it might explain the need for tarpaulined wagons travelling towards Bala.

Andy

Did any of the quarries around Blaenau produce powdered slate (sometimes called 'Fullersite') that was used in various industries (paint and soap manufacture being two uses I've seen mentioned)? I know that Penrhyn quarries produced this, but if it was produced in Blaenau Ffestiniog, it might explain the need for tarpaulined wagons travelling towards Bala.

Andy

That's a thought Andy!

Should have a definitive answer next Friday!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

Andy

Given I am not familiar with how leakproof your open wagons were, would that not have been an issue?

Or would it have been bagged or boxed in the open wagon?

Khris

Andy

Mainly a Penrhyn product but also produced at Dinorwic on a much smaller scale 

So, I realised that there were a few other jobs to do before I start the initial grass work on the Trawsfynydd end of the layout. Primarily, I needed to earth cover the bridge top (as it's a farm crossing for allowing sheep to cross from one pasture to another.

post-24300-0-17445200-1548502214_thumb.jpg

The cess on the Bala Branch tended to have a line of black ash running alongside the ballast edge, and I realised it was something I hadn't done yet! Once it's fully dry, I'll add some black powders over the top to just tone the black sand down a bit.

post-24300-0-73445900-1548502430_thumb.jpg

Oh, and the new clocks arrived!! Escapism is bliss!

post-24300-0-40824500-1548502428_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

After a telephone call, relief signalman John Roberts heads along the shoreline of Llyn Tryweryn, to cover the morning shift at Trawsfynydd box. The fireman of 9793 looks on as they start the descent to Traws, with a train made up primarily with materials for the now under construction, atomic power station.

post-24300-0-02105200-1548522796_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

Given I am not familiar with how leakproof your open wagons were, would that not have been an issue?

Or would it have been bagged or boxed in the open wagon?

Khris

The fullersite that Penrhyn quarries produced was bagged. There is a bit of info here courtesy of PGH;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133709-penrhyn-railway-wagons-in-78-scale/?p=3146742

Andy

Ouch!!!!! .....That's a big bright .....

It's the base layer Martin as I mention in the write up, most wont be seen.

post-24300-0-63600300-1548539705.jpg

It's probably best I don't post further photos until it's finished.

• Like 3