1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Even photographic evidence can be misleading sometimes. For example, if you take 1458, this loco was photographed in the late 1950s with a top feed, so you'd have been forgiven for assuming, 'that's that'. Yet photos taken subsequently in the early 1960s (eg. Kington & Prestigne and later on the Chalford services) show the loco without a top feed.

Very much in agreement! 

I've been able to work out now which of the 57XX/8750s in the late 1950s do not have top feeds on the Bala Branch. 5774 (I've modelled), 8791 (I plan to model), 9669 and 3749.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am only assuming that top feeds appeared or disappeared from locomotives at the time of boiler changes, so presumably 1458 had a boiler changed between the late 50 and the early 60s.  I'd expect this to coincide with a livery change, from an older livery into BR lined green ferret and dartboard, but, o captain my captain, apparently not in this case or I'm sure you would have mentioned it,  Unless of course they were changing the number plates just to mess around with us!

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Even photographic evidence can be misleading sometimes. For example, if you take 1458, this loco was photographed in the late 1950s with a top feed, so you'd have been forgiven for assuming, 'that's that'. Yet photos taken subsequently in the early 1960s (eg. Kington & Prestigne and later on the Chalford services) show the loco without a top feed.

• Like 1

An exciting arrival this morning!

ED015437-E00D-44F5-B81A-B391ACC0B772.jpeg.5380febdc280e0235e5fab41f21a0f3f.jpeg

What a stunning book it is! Of course it doesn’t cover the BR 16T minerals (dia 1/108 and 1/109) and other BR minerals!

It does include the MOT 16Ts and there are some very useful reference photos (for weathering in particular).

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Exe Valley 14xxs are the same: some years they have top feeds, other years they don't. My approach is to have a mix, and similarly a mix of liveries. So representative of the period, if not necessarily accurate for a specified day in a specified year (although some combinations of loco and coach are intentionally time specific). A vanishingly small number or people would  spot any errors, errors which would not be significant in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

A vanishingly small number or people would  spot any errors, errors which would not be significant in the grand scheme of things.

Quite true and I think that's the point. We do these things for ourselves, not for others.

If I run a two-domed 14XX in bright blue livery with 'Isle of Lundy Railways' on the side, people are going to question what I'm doing, but a 14XX with the early instead of late crest on the sides, partly hidden under the weathering, then I think that a lot fewer people are going to notice, so unless it matters to me, then it doesn't really matter at all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Regularity said:

A photo is only useful as a reference source if it is - or can be - dated.

Otherwise it’s just a picture.

In this context, yes, but then again, an undated photo can be a useful source for weathering, for example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

In this context, yes, but then again, an undated photo can be a useful source for weathering, for example.

Very true, but we were discussing detail variations.

And even weathering can be dye dependent, if there are changes in traffic flows.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Very true, but we were discussing detail variations.

Indeed we were.

8 minutes ago, Regularity said:

And even weathering can be dye dependent, if there are changes in traffic flows.

You're going to have to run the concept of dye dependency past me one more time, if you please, my dear fellow.

• Funny 2

Working on something a bit different than the normal Pannier Motive Power! I'm in the process of renumbering a Hornby Standard 4, which will shortly be my depiction of this loco:

831089969_75028BalaJunction1959.jpg.40ad118fd82884f6ec851f43e2eb4af9.jpg

75028, allocated to Chester (6E). As well as renumbering, I need to alter the top lamp iron to a WR type, add screw links and coal. It's a nice photo to work from of a fairly work clean loco. She will be depicted on Bala as working in with the early morning Chester-Barmouth Mail.

• Like 13

Work on 75028 has halted while I wait on a decoder (lenz silver). Hornby certainly made it difficult getting into the tender on these things! Tonight I turned my attention back wagons.

There was some trepidation, after over 2 years since I'd built a wagon. I started with the French Mineral (which was a bit of a faff to go together), before tonight turning to the LMS Mineral (Cambrian kit, with Parkside underframe parts).

DSC05537.jpg.5fdd04aea7086d40388f5503d4850753.jpg

DSC05538.jpg.ec7127dca5b66086678979fd71540e9a.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Tom, the buffers are they your additions or did they come with the kits?

im currently building a 50 year old airfix 16T and lost a plastic buffer so a source may be required!

Cheers 

Ade.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Nice work Tom, the buffers are they your additions or did they come with the kits?

im currently building a 50 year old airfix 16T and lost a plastic buffer so a source may be required!

Cheers 

Ade.

I use Lanarkshire Models for my buffers. Excellent castings, and they helped to add weight.
http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com

Ironically I've just ordered three Airfix 16Ts off eBay. They weren't too expensive, and I figured they can be used for spares/variations on other diagrams of 16Ts. I also need to model a 16T with it's door open for Bala Shed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Nice work on the mineral wagons Tom: very convincing.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Cheers Nick! Glad to be building them again and to add alongside the Bachmann varieties.

Might start the LNER version this evening.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 9793 said:

I use Lanarkshire Models for my buffers. Excellent castings, and they helped to add weight.
http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com

One bit of information here, Dave Franks can, for the appropriate payment, drill his buffer shanks out, so that you can add turned MJT (for example) heads and spring them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Further building today, with the LNER 16T Mineral joining the ranks (with Parkside sole bars and brake gear). A bit more frustrating trying to get the body square, but it's all come together fairly reasonably. 

DSC05543.jpg.ae2aaef580943e2413c9933a20c87586.jpg

DSC05545.jpg.db532d54b933b5dd93ba41982ed6bb69.jpg

• Like 6

Today has allowed some reflection over the weekend.

In truth, it wasn't great due to family issues, and Mother's Day wasn't overly enjoyable.

Again, this hobby has proven what an escapism it is! Tonight I'm in the process of adding the door bangers to the LMS and LNER Minerals before next weekend considering painting them and adding transfers.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Would I be right in thinking you’ve used Cambrian bodies with Parkside underframes to make your LNER and LMS mineral wagons? I was thinking of doing something similar, but wasn’t sure if a Diag 1/108 underframe was a match to the LNER / LMS frames...

13 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Would I be right in thinking you’ve used Cambrian bodies with Parkside underframes to make your LNER and LMS mineral wagons? I was thinking of doing something similar, but wasn’t sure if a Diag 1/108 underframe was a match to the LNER / LMS frames...

Pretty much standard 9ft steel under frames. Much prefer using them than the Cambrian set up of having to attach the solebars to the W irons.

• Informative/Useful 3

These vintage beauties arrived this morning! 

1A0138C3-75DE-4BFD-B2D7-0108C6F3F450.jpeg.9184fc3ceba11fa44aa118526342d2b1.jpeg

Not for immintent building, but should allow for further variations.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 8