A couple of matters arising on the subject of coaches, if I may.

As Tom says, the E147 and E157 are similar but not identical.  The windows of the E157 are 6" deeper than those of the E147 and the body profile is different, the E147 being as near as dammit vertical above the waist. The Comet ends supplied for the E147 are correct for the E157 but not for the E147.  The Comet kit for the non-corridor third is said to be good for the C66 and C75.  What you actually get is a hybrid, with the profile being right for the C75 and the sides correct for the C66.  These niceties are easy to overlook, as many have done.  The Comet parts go back a long way and have got many a modeller out of trouble but it's best not to look too closely.

One of the E167s in the photo taken at Blaenau Ffestiniog is almost certainly W7082W.  When the line closed it migrated south and came to rest at Barry, where I observed it in its original crimson livery in February 1962, two days before my 14th birthday.

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

As Bachmann seem to be actually doing something about their 94xx, I should ease up on my banging on about it a bit, and transfer that energy into banging on about non-gangwayed GW coaching stock that isn't a B set.  Even a flat ended B set would be a step in the right direction in terms of providing frames and ends for conversions.  

The other big 3 have all been nicely provided for in this area by the RTR trade, good pre-grouping stuff in the case of the Southern, but the temptation to model B sets (ideal, aren't they, complete train, only 2 coaches, ran everywhere; ok, they did, but was not the only thing that ran everywhere on the GW and a single brake composite that cannot be represented by half a B set was a common solution in sparely populated areas)) is always too much for them.  What about suburban traffic?  Trains of up to half a dozen non-gangwayed compartment stock were a feature of the London, Birmingham, Bristol, and South Wales areas and a 4 coach set even appears behind panniers in a photo of this branch.

The Bala-Blaenau Branch was described by a former guard, James Roberts as being a an 'artery' between Bala, Trawsfynydd and Blaenau Ffestiniog. A fascinating interview can be found below.

In my research over the last few years, I've been lucky to have met a former signalman who worked the majority of boxes on not just the Bala-Blaenau Branch, but also the Ruarbon/Barmouth secondary route.

John has told me many fascinating tales from the line, which frankly makes me love the branch that bit more.

One story John told me, was when he was travelling in one of the single coach trains between Bala and Blaenau. Not far after Cwm Prysor, where the railway burrows through rocky cuttings on the approach to the viaduct, one of the springs broke on the 58XX (either 5810 or 5811) which flew at speed from the loco, and ricocheted off the rocky cutting into the side of the coach with a hell of a bang!

Another tale, was when the first class cushions disappeared on one service near Trawsfynydd. A gentlemen in the area had thrown them out.... as he fancied them for his living room! 

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

One of the E167s in the photo taken at Blaenau Ffestiniog is almost certainly W7082W.  When the line closed it migrated south and came to rest at Barry, where I observed it in its original crimson livery in February 1962, two days before my 14th birthday.

Chris 

Chris, I've found a photo of 'your' coach! Seen at Bala Town.

post-24300-0-54808400-1536876375.jpg

Do you think there would have been more than one E167 on the line? Can't see it being the only one.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

Yesterday I was given a copy of Spirit of the Great Western (1980) published by M.Esau/OPC.

Not sure if you've seen it but there's a two page spread on the Blaenau-Bala line?

Plate 66: 4617 at Arenig on a freight

Plate 67: 4683 at Blaenau on a Bala service

Plate 68: 7414 at Trawsfynydd on a freight taking on water

Plate 69: 3749 at Bala on Ffestiniog service.

PM me if you want further information.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Hi Tom,

Yesterday I was given a copy of Spirit of the Great Western (1980) published by M.Esau/OPC.

Not sure if you've seen it but there's a two page spread on the Blaenau-Bala line?

Plate 66: 4617 at Arenig on a freight

Plate 67: 4683 at Blaenau on a Bala service

Plate 68: 7414 at Trawsfynydd on a freight taking on water

Plate 69: 3749 at Bala on Ffestiniog service.

PM me if you want further information.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark!

A couple of those aren't familiar. You have a PM!

Some further modelling tonight. Etched Sanding levers are now in place, and the sand box lids have now been refitted. Since I took the photo, I've now added the bunker lamp irons (masokits).

post-24300-0-42309400-1536880168_thumb.jpg

Front and side lamps to be fitted tomorrow, along with the new handles for the water filler caps.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 6

Afternoon all!

An update on 5774.

post-24300-0-80190400-1537021154_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-23978200-1537021169_thumb.jpg

She is about ready for the coat of primer. I've just realised I need to add the bunker top lap iron which is easy enough to do. I'm pleased so far!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all!

An update on 5774.

attachicon.gifDSC04093.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC04094.jpg

She is about ready for the coat of primer. I've just realised I need to add the bunker top lap iron which is easy enough to do. I'm pleased so far!

That's looking very nice, Tom.

Out of interest, what is the origin of the etched rear spectacle plate grilles, please?

• Like 1

That's looking very nice, Tom.

Out of interest, what is the origin of the etched rear spectacle plate grilles, please?

Thanks CK! :)

It's the Mainly Trains detailing etch (which I think is now sold by Andrew at Wizard Models). I carved off the moulded front ones too and replaced with those on the etch. Lamp Irons are Masokits, and the pull rods are RT Models.

Edited by 9793

Lovely work Tom. The panniers look completely different without top feeds.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Thanks Nick, it does doesn't it.

There were three that were on the Branch between 1955-1961. 5774, 9669 and 8791. 8791 along with 4645 worked the SLS special over the branch in January 1961 before closure. 9669 I believe had worked as far as Bala where 8791 took over.

I've been messing around the with now converted AA19 Toad tonight (photos tomorrow) with it's axle boxes now in place.

All I'll say....if you want an AA19...I wouldn't bother with this method!

• RMweb Gold

I've been messing around the with now converted AA19 Toad tonight (photos tomorrow) with it's axle boxes now in place.

All I'll say....if you want an AA19...I wouldn't bother with this method!

I still think the best route is to upgrade th Ratio kit. Having mucked around with a couple of Bachmann Toad bodies, I feel Bachmann's plastic handrails are almost too difficult to remove safely. At least Ratio plastic is easier to cut and sand smooth.

Best wishes,

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I know nothing of the location, the simplicity of the layout works wonders.

Your track work in particular is superb - followed very closely by the general landscape. It does look like the landscape was there first.

I still think the best route is to upgrade th Ratio kit. Having mucked around with a couple of Bachmann Toad bodies, I feel Bachmann's plastic handrails are almost too difficult to remove safely. At least Ratio plastic is easier to cut and sand smooth.

Best wishes,

Nick.

I think if knowing what I know now.....I wouldn have lived with the GWR axle boxes. Essentially I should have probably fitted an all new W irons. The bearings do not work inside the W irons as it makes it far too tight and pushes out the W irons. So they are glued to the outer edge of the W irons and the axle boxes drilled out (superb castings from Rumney Models).

Refitting the footbaords made me realise that they must be sat lower on an AA19 as they were initially sat above the axle boxes on refitting. So I’ve had to alter the hangars.

So what we no have is something that doesn’t run as freely as it did from the box. Is going to be incredibly fragile, but hey it will sort of look right! :lol:

post-24300-0-19185400-1537089325_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Whilst I know nothing of the location, the simplicity of the layout works wonders.

Your track work in particular is superb - followed very closely by the general landscape. It does look like the landscape was there first.

Most kind of you maq1988

I just wanted to be able to operate the layout and feel I’m in the middle of knowhere. I’m already having thoughts on photographing the layout when it’s finished and achieving some atmospheric effects!

You have been a modeller not a buyer! Well done for having a go.

Regards,

Nick.

Thanks, that has made me feel better! :lol:

The Croes Newydd AA13 will be easier as a I’ll retain the GWR fittings with cosmetic body alterations.

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the pannier sir. I use Chaos Black spray paint. The colour, I feel, is a understated black!

post-7376-0-44207100-1537115892_thumb.jpeg

This is one of a pair I did over the summer. It still needs a bit of touching up, but the paint looks dull, rather than bright! Sorry to hijack your thread!

Regards,

Nick

• Like 7