Rocks Green siding

matt-b

Hello

Since a young age I've been modelling both N and OO with dad, however the last 5 or so years I've had 2 highly detailed N gauge layouts.

However, O gauge has always appealed to me so I'm going to take the plunge and give it ago..

My idea is a simple 4ft x 1ft plank, this will have a single track with hard standing in front of it, pretty basic I know but has funds become available I will add to the length and detail.

Choice of wagons will be either a single Cargowaggon, with timber waiting to be loaded, or a couple of Heljan VAA wagons with bagged items.. a standard forklift and a couple of figures will complete the scene.

I'll keep you posted on updates.

Matt

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Finally over the last few days I've made a start on things.

Concrete hard standing is down, just needs weathering and a little toning.

Ballast sheet laid and ready for the track to be cut and glued down.

Then ballast in and around the track, add static grass to the corner and radom patches.

It's slow work but I might be done by Christmas!

Matt

post-11908-0-85560300-1539438304_thumb.jpg

post-11908-0-95825200-1539438334_thumb.jpg

post-11908-0-85560300-1539438304_thumb.jpg

post-11908-0-95825200-1539438334_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

Not sure about the 1:50th question, but if I were you I would clean the paint off the top of the rails sooner rather than later, otherwise it will be a right pain to get off and it will leave flakes on the sides of the rail.

Keep up the good work.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

How out of scale do 1:50th lorries/trucks look?

Anyone got reference pictures or info on this please.

Thanks.

No idea where now I’m afraid but I’ve seen a Bedford bus in 1:43 next to 1:50 and it’s a big difference. In the background can work if everything is scaled down to give perspective but you would notice alongside a person or wagon for example.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I don't intend to clean of the rails Martyn has it's a diorama, there is no need to make sure the tracks have power.

If I change this in the future then I agree, there will be some flaking where I rub it down.

Good point on the scale, has the layout doesn't have any depth, any change in scales will become to obvious, shame though because there are loads of great lorries and trailers in 1:50th.

I'm still unsure on loads, what do bagged cement on pallets look like.. they seem a bit square and neat to me?

Going to cut some coffee wooden stirrers up to simulate a timber load.

Thanks.

Edited by matt-b
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good point on the scale, has the layout doesn't have any depth, any change in scales will become to obvious, shame though because there are loads of great lorries and trailers in 1:50th.

I'm surprised there aren't more 1:43 lorries around by now given the surge in interest in 7mm. Plenty of transit vans, a leyland Sherpa and a Bedford TK Artic in 1:43 though.

I'm surprised there aren't more 1:43 lorries around by now given the surge in interest in 7mm. Plenty of transit vans, a leyland Sherpa and a Bedford TK Artic in 1:43 though.

I suspect that you’re looking in the wrong places. Try:

https://www.radleymodels.com/7mm-o-gauge-end-of-line-rtr.html

And

https://www.radleymodels.com/prods/206894/7mm-o-gauge-dodge-tipper-.html

And

https://www.radleymodels.com/great-british-road-transport-from-yesterday.html

And maybe

https://www.radleymodels.com/lt-vehicles.html

Dave

Thanks Dave, though they look a lot older then I'm thinking of modelling.

I was thinking of 80/90s but then I could bring it more up to date with more modern Cargowaggon.

Ahhhh choices!

Thanks

Edited by matt-b

• 4 weeks later...