Microsoft Access for Timetables

Hi Guys,

Just recently re-read John Elliott's accounts of Bradfield Gloucester Square in MRJ and RMweb, has anyone else got experience of using Access for timetable display?

I have been using Powerpoint but find it limiting for my requirements.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Many thanks for your time

Ian B

Has anyone got experience of using Access for timetable display?

Most people don't have Access.  It's a relational database included with the Pro edition of Microsoft Office.  Few people know how to use a relational database properly.

However, those who buy the Home or Student Edition of Office will have Excel.  Excel can store plenty of data, and if you're interested in programming, there are ways to automate data handling.  Lots of people know how to use Excel. Because all the data are visible on one or more worksheets, many find it easier to deal with than Access.  You can design forms in Excel, similar to those in the topic you cite.

Edited by Podhunter

Most people don't have Access.  It's a relational database included with the Pro edition of Microsoft Office.  Few people know how to use a relational database properly.

However, those who buy the Home or Student Edition of Office will have Excel.  Excel can store plenty of data, and if you're interested in programming, there are ways to automate data handling.  Lots of people know how to use Excel. Because all the data are visible on one or more worksheets, many find it easier to deal with than Access.  You can design forms in Excel, similar to those in the topic you cite.

Can I just support what Podhunter says - I don't know the specific application here but using a relational db for timetable display would seen overkill and as stated it is hard to see where excel won't do the job required. If you really want to go down the route of a relational database, know how to use it and can't afford Access AND you are into programming then you can try mySQL - which is free as it's open-source....but take a deep breath before entering this world...

If you really want to go down the route of a relational database, know how to use it and can't afford Access AND you are into programming then you can try mySQL - which is free as it's open-source....but take a deep breath before entering this world...

Perhaps take a look at this and take stock...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-easy-use-free-alternatives-microsoft-access/

Access is slightly more than a relational database frontend... However, you can couple data sources (including MySQL) to the backend of Excel in any case which would be considerably less painful then the full on home brew approach you're suggesting.

But actually, Excel as is should be more than up to the task.

Edited by frobisher

• RMweb Premium

Instead of expensive proprietary software what about "Libre Office"? It's free and does most of what MS Office does.

BTW I had MS Access (in Office Pro) and even went to the trouble of going on a short course to learn "How to Do"

I also had a book on the subject but never managed to become sufficiently familiar with it to do much.

In the end I went back to Lotus Approach, which I was familiar with.

I now use either Libre Office or Lotus Smartsuite modules.

Keith

• Like 1

I have been thinking about a timetable tool (although to be honest, my little layout doesn’t need it). I work in IT and do a lot of work with databases, and software development.

You could use access, although - as mentioned above - you could also build quite a satisfactory timetable using excel. The advantage of access is that you could have a nice interface (using forms) so that you could have a display with (for example) a clock (showing model time) a timetable display (“Next train xxxxx”), etc.

Personally, I was thinking about a program/app written in HTML/Jscript so that it could be used on a PC, tablet or even smartphone. It would have a model time clock (with controls to pause/jump forward etc). A timetable display to show next trains. I was also playing with ideas including :

A). Single line control - eg is line clear / train online - line blocked for shunting while another train is on its way

B). Freight demand - my layout features a dairy - so how many empty tanks are needed? How long do they take to load?

So, just curious, what would you want from a timetable application?

• Like 1

There was a programme MRTT (Model Railway Time Table) a few years ago.  A copy of the manual is available here: https://manualzz.com/doc/6694877/user-manual---mrtt--model-railway-timetable--mrtt-version... It seems to be capable of a lot and was written in C# (according to the manual).  Unfortunately, I can't access the support site, so I'm not sure if the developer has passed on.  I have a copy but never used it.  Building the layout takes priority over playing with timetable software.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose if you used a number of Access tables to hold all the pages of the passenger timetable that included some particular station, you could probably write a query that showed you all the departures from that station in chronological order, and where those trains called and terminated.  And perhaps a report that picked the next departure and displayed it in some pretty format.  But I'm not sure you'd want to ……. and I'm pretty certain you wouldn't if it meant teaching yourself Access first.  First base is easy, second base Isn't bad, beyond that …. ouch!

I have paid for Office Professional purely so I've still got the thing, and can continue to use some noddy applications I developed years ago, but I very rarely use it.  Excel has got so much functionality these days that it meets most sensible needs.

Cheers, Chris

Instead of expensive proprietary software what about "Libre Office"? It's free and does most of what MS Office does.

The OP already probably has access (no pun intended) to Excel as he states he's been using Powerpoint. But the likes of Libre Office are no bad thing in this regard.

• RMweb Premium

A lot will depend on what you want the display part of the timetable application to do. Access has an interface that is pretty much 25 years old now, and can't handle quite a lot of what would be considered standard graphics today. Microsoft don't care much for it now either, so don't expect improvements any time soon.

That said, Access can do quite a bit if you're prepared to do a fair bit if VBA programming and work outside the built in elements. Unlike MySQL, Access is a flat file with an RDBMS like data structure, but also an interface. Most database programs don't have the interface bit, requiring you to learn how to implement interfaces in other ways, like via web browsers or direct programming on an OS (like using VB or C# on .Net, or C or C++ on Win32, etc).

Edited by Ian J.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Basically what I was after was the form tool on access which is more flexible (re design) than that on Excel.

My layout Tynebank (on here somewhere) has two operators, signaller and driver/shedmaster.

Part of the shedmasters' job would be to select a loco from the roster for that particular diagram. I wanted the roster to appear on the form as a combo and the selected loco number to appear on another box on the form. The combo I think would be a subform and the database relational between roster and timetable.

I have used excel in the past and found it OK, but I wanted to push the envelope a bit.

I am in no way an IT wizard!

Once again many thanks for the input.

Ian B

This thread has made me wonder if anyone has ever built a real-time data feed for their layout? You could display it in the front of the layout, or even have a wireless hotspot with a redirect to it on a web page for that full ‘standing on the platform and checking on your mobile’ experience.

That would keep the operators on their toes at exhibitions, punters complaining their trains were late! Not sure I’d go as far as delay-repay tho!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Basically what I was after was the form tool on access which is more flexible (re design) than that on Excel.

My layout Tynebank (on here somewhere) has two operators, signaller and driver/shedmaster.

Part of the shedmasters' job would be to select a loco from the roster for that particular diagram. I wanted the roster to appear on the form as a combo and the selected loco number to appear on another box on the form. The combo I think would be a subform and the database relational between roster and timetable.

I have used excel in the past and found it OK, but I wanted to push the envelope a bit.

I am in no way an IT wizard!

Once again many thanks for the input.

Ian B

When you say 'combo', can you further explain what you mean? As an Access developer, it only means a 'drop-down' box control, so when you say 'the combo...would be a subform' it makes no sense to me.

When you say 'combo', can you further explain what you mean? As an Access developer, it only means a 'drop-down' box control, so when you say 'the combo...would be a subform' it makes no sense to me.

Told you I didn't know much!  I want a drop down box on the form with the numbers of the locos that are available for the diagram. I thought this would have to be in a sub form The shedmaster will select one and its number will appear in a box on the form. Sorry about my terminology. My degree is in astro-physics and it upsets me when people use the wrong terms, so I know how you must feel!

Thanks for you help

Ian B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No need for subforms, the combobox (drop-down) can be used with VBA to update a label, another text box, or any other control. It's also possible to update subforms, but it takes a bit more VBA to do it reliably (though there are 'simple' built-in ways to link master forms to subforms, I prefer to take control and use VBA to do the synchronisation between them).

I am interested in this and have been for some years.  I have been out of railway modelling for five years and just finally got a working layout.  I have not found anything very useful at the moment since I am just trying to understand timetables and movement 'cards'.  I am a software developer (using C# as it happens) and once I understand things I might have a tinker.  I did start once before but it got buried in the past ;)

I wonder if any database software such as Access if an overkill unless the layout is complex.  A lot of what I have done in the past with many thousand records is to simple use comma separated text.  I suspect that a movement card might lend itself to a simple data storage mechanism.  However, since I don't really know what I am talking about at the moment......

Finally I assume that the software would be intended to create the timetable rather than just manage it so that it can be used to operate the layout

• 2 months later...

Sorry, slightly off topic, but I'm not sure where else to post this.

My layout is a very small branch terminus (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130161-dairy-box/) with a dairy siding.  Main operation is delivering milk tanks to the diary and taking away after filling.

I made a small web-app to generate the next train to arrive:

dbc.jpg

I run this on an iPad, and it shows the next train to arrive (on the right).  The left hand panel shows the number of tanks currently in the dairy siding and trains in the station.

The arriving train consist is generated according to simple rules and available stock.

I used it this evening and a very fun hour operating the layout (had to stop there as I had other things to do).

If you'd like to have a play with it, feel free:  https://spotlog.org/apps/dairybox/app.html

IF there is enough (any) interest I'd be happy to look into developing this into a general (ie non layout specific) app.

Guest teacupteacup

That app you have created is great! Would be great if you could do a version that's allows the user to input their stock. I'm building an inglenook inspired layout, and this would be perfect!