Operating Kato Unitrack points via DCC

Philately

A few months ago I abandoned all pretence at being a railway modeller and decided that what I wanted was something to play trains on.  N gauge is my chosen size so I bought some Kato Unitrack track packs.  As a medium to enable one to set up a layout easily it is brilliant, if a bit limited in pointwork. Things like single slips are alien to it, though it does an absolutely brilliant scissors crossover.  

At the moment I am using the Kato controller as a power unit for the Kato 2-wire solenoid point switches that came in the track packs I bought.  Motive power is controlled via a Z21 and an iPad, which is likewise very user-friendly, but unsuitable for powering the points without an adapter.  You may well ask why bother, seeing that Kato wiring is so easy to use, with plugs and sockets pre-fitted, and extender cables readily available; the answer is I'm aiming for computer control, and in any case want to integrate signals so that when visitors come, one can act as signalman.

Foolishly I bought an 8-way decoder for stall motors, thinking that Kato N Gauge points worked this way - they emphatically don't!  I'm now advised that I need a DCC Concepts 8-way accessory decoder with adapters for 2-wire point control.  Does anyone know of any other DCC alternative I could use?  Just to allow choice.

Richard

Digitrax make an accessory decoder specifically for the Kato turnout motors. 

Given how the Kato works, many accessory decoder for solenoid motors will work *if" wired appropriately.  The Kato is a single coil and "directional" in how it works, whereas most solenoid motors have two coils, one for each direction.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Foolishly I bought an 8-way decoder for stall motors, thinking that Kato N Gauge points worked this way - they emphatically don't!  I'm now advised that I need a DCC Concepts 8-way accessory decoder with adapters for 2-wire point control.  Does anyone know of any other DCC alternative I could use?  Just to allow choice.

Richard

There is also a 2 way decoder available from DCC Concepts, The ADS-2SX, as well as the above mentioned 8 channel ADS-8SX 

Used with the DCD-SDC 3 wire to 2-wire connectors. (I know these can be made from simple components but some folks like to "plug n play")

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Digitrax make an accessory decoder specifically for the Kato turnout motors.

- Nigel

Nigel is correct. I used a Digitrax DS64 to Power Kato Unitrack point motors.

Quite an expensive solution as the DS64 only has four outputs. I think up to four Unitrack point motors can be powered by each output though - assuming any route setting allows that kind of set up.

Davey

Edited by DaveyH

Nigel is correct. I used a Digitrax DS64 to Power Kato Unitrack point motors.

Quite an expensive solution as the DS64 only has four outputs. I think up to four Unitrack point motors can be powered by each output though - assuming any route setting allows that kind of set up.

Davey

I was thinking of the little DS51K1, which is about £12, and works a single turnout, and designed as a product for Kato.   

Still a little on the expensive side, about the same price per turnout as a DS64. 

I've used Lenz LS150 point decoders with Kato unitrack points and Roco Multimaus/SPROG/NCE PowerCab, the trick is to use diodes on the - and + terminals for each of the accessory outputs. For a better explanation see these YouTube videos (which are where I got the idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g5YjTPqou4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3k0S4ENIkA

I don't know if this is a particularly economical solution - I bought the LS150s over a decade ago for around £30each and they seem to be closer to £60 now. Also to keep the plug and play convenience I decided to try and retain the existing Kato wiring. Then found that 3rd party Tamiya connectors from ebay aren't necessary compatible with Kato's Tamiya connectors so I gave up making my own extension leads and cannibalised Kato 24-841 Point Extension Cables.

Anyway, it is another choice  :)

Alex

A&H Models have an instructional video showing the Z21 and use of a LS150 with a Kato point.  LDT Littfinski does a 4 output decoder designed for  Kato and similar point motors (LDT 1-DEC-DC).