Electrical and their diesel twins, what do you think?

Classes 81 to 85 all looked similar :mosking:

Back in the day I'd sometimes confuse 87s and 47s as they approached in the gloom of the tunnels at B'ham New St, usually if there was something else noisy nearby, like a 45 or 50, which might cover the sound of a 47, since an 87 in the tunnel was almost silent anyway.

Classes 43 and 91, the British Rail InterCity diesel and electric locomotives.  Though not very similar in the size of each fleet; there were 197 Class 43s produced, compared to 31 Class 91s.

The only similarity was the pointy front, with the swept back windscreen, but then the class 43 (as in the HSTs) rather set the style for high speed front ends thereafter. There is a family resemblance between the 90 and the 91, though.

Jim

The only similarity was the pointy front, with the swept back windscreen, but then the class 43 (as in the HSTs) rather set the style for high speed front ends thereafter. There is a family resemblance between the 90 and the 91, though.

Jim

I was thinking about the service branding, and the average rail traveller is unlikely to notice many differences.  Another pair of similar classes, at least in passenger perception, are the Class 390 and Class 221.

I personally think class 43, APT-P and the class 89. The windscreens and the fronts all look similar

They do look quite alike.

In units the Networker Classes 465 and 6, Classes 165 and 166 and Class 323 are all similar, although the 323 has a flatter front than the Networker and Networker Turbos.  Of course the Class 150/2 and Class 317/2 also look superficially similar.

In terms of function and roles though you could call the Class 86 and 47s "cousins" as they both performed similar duties and were both the most numerous classes of their type.  However, in looks they were chalk and cheese.

In units the Networker Classes 465 and 6, Classes 165 and 166 and Class 323 are all similar, although the 323 has a flatter front than the Networker and Networker Turbos. Of course the Class 150/2 and Class 317/2 also look superficially similar.

The first batch of 168s were designed to resemble the networker family (from which you missed out 365s, which were similar before the cab AC made them all smiley).

Oh yeah, of course!

Class 700, 707, 717

Class 91, Mk4 DVT

Class 90, Mk3 DVT

Class 66, 59

Eurostar e300, TGV

Class 47, 57

Ok, time for some abroad ones:

ICE 3, AVE 103, CRH3

I also wouldn’t mind steam locomotives as well...

Steam locomotives ? ........ you've already mentioned the 'Black Motors' !