Anycubic Photon or Wanhao Duplicator 7

Anycubic Photon or Wanhao Duplicator 7?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Anycubic Photon
    • Wanhao Duplicator 7

Anyone has any experience with these 2 3D printers?

I am thinking of buying one, on Amazon I am getting them for approximately the same price. Only let down with the Anycubic Photon is the cost of the resin which is almost double the cost of the resin from Wanhao.

The cost for the Wanhao Duplicator 7 is approx £540 and the resin is about £35.

The cost for the Any cubic Photo is £640 and the resin is £69.

Would love to get people's opinions on these two.

• RMweb Gold

I don't feel qualified to 'vote' because I have only used the Wanhao D7. I have mine configured with a Raspberry Pi running NanoDLP and I am very happy with it. I've been very happy with the results I've had (see Fen End Pit's blog'm e.g. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/186/entry-20334-ger-goods-crane-3d-printed-model/

David

Wanhao resin - along with other brands such as Monocure 3D etc can be used with the Photon. The best source of info on this is the AnycubicPhoton DLP Printer owners facebook group page - they have losts of discussions about resins, settings and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an anycubic Photon and after a steep learning curve it is now working well.  I was looking at a D7 but the photon seemed to be more reliable.  Like any 3d printers they are not consumer ready like say an inkjet printer.  They take fiddling to get working well.

• 1 month later...

Coming from the same direction, there seem currently to be keen offers (<£400) on the anycubic photon, whereas the Wanhao seems more expensive in UK. But I've seen no mention of the wildcard - the Sparkmaker. Reviews seem distinctly mixed, and the current discounts almost suggest end-of-range. As so often, print photos seem to be of figures rather than railway modelling subjects. Has anybody any experience of this? My current interest is in Nn3, so print size less of a concern.

• 4 weeks later...

I just went for it and bought the Anycubic on eBay from "AnyCubic-official". As others have reported online the seller details on PayPal are in Chinese, but it promises DHL shipping from Germany. So undoubtedly a drop-ship arrangement.

I'll post with how I get on!

Justin

• Like 1

The Photon arrived really quickly considering - ordered on Tuesday, arrived on Saturday. I started off doing the cube test print, which turned out perfectly, and then moved on to some STL files for 2mm scale bits and pieces that another 2mm Scale Association member kindly shared with me. 

post-3740-0-39892300-1542145410_thumb.jpg

Here are some 1:152 traction engine wheels - with a 2p coin for scale. I printed each wheel four times at different angles as a bit of an experiment. Doesn't seem to have made any difference with the large rear wheels, aside from a very slight bit of stepping on the ones at moderate angles - virtually none on those which were close to vertical or horizontal. The small front wheels were a bit more sensitive - at first I thought the ones that were shallow or at low angles had overexposed so much they were solid, but the IPA bath salvaged it somewhat. The one closest to vertical is pretty much perfect though.

I'm seriously impressed - for what is pretty much the cheapest 3D printer on the market, to my eye, these prints are better than even the best from Shapeways!

Justin

post-3740-0-39892300-1542145410_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As I also am now a Photon owner my opinion is also that the quality is better than Shapeways best prints.

That's a tall order to say such a thing but there you go.  Pics in my thread....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106165-scc-sparkshot-custom-creations-photon-dlp-3d-print-testing/page-12&do=findComment&comment=3372756

I can't comment on the Wanhao as I don't have one so for fairness sake haven't checked the poll box.

Edited by Knuckles

I have both printers but have only used the photon so far u can get the both for under £400 each if you shop around and the resin is transferable between the two as long as it’s for dlp printing

I might just go for the Wanhao Duplicator 7 as it's £200 cheaper than the Anycubic Photon.

I might just go for the Wanhao Duplicator 7 as it's £200 cheaper than the Anycubic Photon.

I'm settling for the Wanhao Duplicator 7 as it works out cheaper for (by almost £200). Since I print HO and O scale stuff the extra finesse that the Anycubic Photon provides isn't really worth the £200 extra.

There is @ £50 difference if you look at the links I posted the anycubic is the cheaper one

That applies to you in the UK, I'm sourcing one locally and not importing it as import fees are going to be extremy expensive.

In a local scenario the Wanhao Duplicator 7 is far cheaper (equivalent to £200)