A Midland region branchline halt

CovDriver

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

This is brilliant modelling, very impressive. As others have said, great to see another, rare 3rd rail line appear.

As for a name suggestion, I am just slightly confused - it appears, and is titled, as a Kent branchline, but you stated this in your opening post:

I'm looking at operating on the Western region in the North West and BR blue diesels set in a early 1980's theme.

Was that statement made before you had settled on a Kent layout? So are you looking for a Kentish-sounding name, or a name that could place it anywhere? If Kent, an electrified single line limits the plausible routes a bit - Sheppey (the platform reminds me a little of the old Kemsley) or a station on the Grain branch, that was electrified in a rush to the head by someone? Or go for one of the now-closed lines, Lydd, or the old colliery routes, and pretend they were kept open and electrified? Plenty of name choices around there.

Hi sorry the original post was a bit misleading  I didn't realise exactly how much BR southern region stock I had so it was changed to a kent branchline I really must change the original post thank you for pointing it out as I didn't notice it for looking so to speak.

Many thanks for your ideas regarding a name I'll be following that up for certain.

Cheers 

Colin 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37403 said:

Lovely little layout.

What are the platforms made from?

Thank you for the kind comment the platform is built up from a plasticard frame then peco platform edges have added with brick paper inserts and weathered.

The platform surface is just plasticard and painted grey 

• RMweb Gold

Here is a photo of the approach into to the small fiddle yard the points are all peco code 75 electrofrog. 

I'm not planning on using and point  motors at this stage but I simply haven't got a clue how to wire up the track for DCC operation, such as where to put isolating fishplates and feeds etc... 

Could anybody help me on this as I'd like to get it up and running asap .

Many thanks 

Colin

20190522_161604.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Colin

There are loads of threads on here about doing all that, but they do get somewhat complex and confusing. Your layout, being end to end, will be quite simple to wire, if you follow the advice, but your scissors crossover needs something more. The general consensus is that this link is the best around for straightforward, "how to" DCC advice (it has very good explanations and diagrams):

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/index.html

But for just wiring up the Peco live frog points, if you have kept the packets, there is a suggested wiring and isolation diagram enclosed. There is some good advice elsewhere (and on the Brian Lambert site, I think) on modifying the Peco points (quite simply) to make the power feed to the blades more reliable.

But I suggest you read up on DCC generally, before you attempt this, so you get the general drift!!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe for the double slip, you can put isolating railjoiners on each of the 4 frog rails, and you then add feed wires to the 2 outer rails, and it will switch the polarity of the frogs itself.

With all other points, again isolating railjoiners on the frog rails and then feed from the toe end of the point.

But, as Mike has suggested, the Brian Lambert site is a great source of information.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a similar layout many years ago and when it was scrapped I forgot I still had the layout plaque and I found it again in the garage.

I thought why not it's something different and it fits in with the small station theme. 

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

And before anyone thinks that "-by" place name elements belong in the Midlands and North, there's the very northern-sounding Horton Kirby, a hamlet just near Farningham Road station in Kent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Lynsore Bottom (near Canterbury); my wife (Lynne) had riding lessons there.

Outstanding, but a little converted!!??

Surely that was the place on Bursted Hill - Pett Bottom - which is almost as funny!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well after a morning of adding some finer details on the layout in particular to waiting shelter has had a new roof and guttering added followed by a new window frame with some glue 'n' glaze added it looks okay to me what does anybody else think ?

The foot crossing is now almost complete I think the signal box will be next for some detailing.

So it's now getting ready for an evening of cross city and brief visit to Soho Depot followed by the 0017 local from New St back to Coventry.

Cheers

Colin

20190605_140728.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Mark, work on the layout has come to a halt as there is just simply not enough hours in the day at the moment but all being well tomorrow I'm planning on getting power to the fiddleyard and possibly some work on the signal box. 

Cheers 

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Well so much for the two jobs I had planned for today instead I managed to resurrect two old sound chips one was a Zimo mx440d with class 25 sounds all I had to do was resolder the wires from the 8pin plug and add a bass boost speaker. 

The other I think is an old Loksound V3.5 with Howes class 37 sounds it's that old I had to search for a 100 ohm speaker to hear the sounds. 

But the class 25 which I've put in a class 24 sounds absolutely hellfire that's going to be for the next project which I'm already planning as I'm looking at getting rid of Shortby as it is. 

Cheers 

Colin

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As it's been an age since any kind of update here's a couple of pics to show what's been done.

Firstly a Heljan class 33 now complete apart from painting the pipework on the bufferbeam. This loco has had the full works done to it repaint,weathered and laserglaze added both bufferbeams detailed. And loksound V4 decoder with legomanbiffo sounds added.

The second pic showing the slow progress on the signal box.

Cheers 

Colin

15727024349065486048991552286322.jpg

15727025039858691697325970537826.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well with winter well and truly here it's back into the spare room with the layout I've been concentrating on detailing stock for the layout I'm in two minds regarding the coupling of the stock.

As the layout maybe exhibited someday hopefully I would like to use scale screwlink/instanter couplings but they can be a pain then there is the option of the standard tension lock couplings but I'm trying to get away from the toy look on the layout. 

What does everyone else think as I'm in a bit of a dilemma?

• Like 1

Depends how much coupling/uncoupling you are planning in the public area. If significant, then I would go for K-Dees or the short-form tension locks. The "toy look" isn't half as bad as the view of two hands coming down every so often to wrench the things apart! For static photo shots, just leave a brake and one or two other wagons with screwlinks/instanters at one end.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well now my Summer leave is almost at an end I've managed to get a few jobs done on the layout firstly the most important has been the removal of the 3rd rail.

As I was never really happy with it I was basically out of my comfort zone so there maybe a couple of items coming up for sale very soon suitable for southern region 3rd rail. 

I've also built a new baseboard for another small fiddleyard at the signal box end of the layout. 

I'm awaiting the return of some peco code 75 track as there is a national shortage. 

I've also started adding some of the smaller details and a couple of scale model scenery low relief building. And the lighting has been fitted but not yet powered up for the wIting shelter and signal box.

I'll post a few pics later today of the work done so far.

Cheers

Colin