The Acquired Wagons of British Railways by David Larkin

Ben04uk

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ben04uk said:

That's disappointing, that means the volume covering 12T ventilated vans will be even further pushed back.

I'd agree that it is a disappointment, but considering the current situation understandable. Although I can't see that the delay of this volume will necessarily cause the publication of subsequent volumes to be pushed back.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Yes, the Titfield Thunderbolt received supplies on Wednesday, it is very good.

Here's my take on it:

https://www.titfield.co.uk/Books/Wagons-det.htm#5481

Simon

Thanks for the information and summary.  You mention in your description Twilight of the Goods by Don Rolland.  Are there any plans for further volumes of that book?

Edited by 26power
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 26power said:

Thanks for the information and summary.  You mention in your description Twilight of the Goods by Don Rolland.  Are there any plans for further volumes of that book?

Agreed, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Don must have enough material for numerous follow ups, and as an added bonus, even though they are in b/w, the print quality is excellent, unlike some books I could mention.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2021 at 02:03, 26power said:

On 27/02/2021 at 08:42, Enterprisingwestern said:

Agreed, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Don must have enough material for numerous follow ups, and as an added bonus, even though they are in b/w, the print quality is excellent, unlike some books I could mention.

Mike.

Thank you very much for your comments.

No plans as such but I would like to do more and have said so to Don. Twilight has gone well and is still selling pretty strongly, so I will follow our conversation up in the next few weeks.

I am however already working on another new book for Wild Swan that does feature rolling stock, with others to follow hopefully. Apart from anything else it is a subject that interests me a lot!

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
  • Like 9

I enjoyed Twilight of the Goods, and am always excited for more rolling stock books. Looking forward to recieving my copy of Acquired Wagons Vol 3 in the post too after the delay in publishing. The reference pictures of post-nationalisation PO wagons alone should make it worth the price of purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

As no one else seems to have said it, I will say that this is another excellent book.

The venn diagram of the railway modelling community includes a hard core of true historical scholarship, which deserves to be revered for what it is. Playing trains is good fun, but the potential for scholarship adds something else. Most of us can contribute in some way - by researching a particular line for example, or modelling a particular era.  Or by making our stock - including wagons - as historically accurate as possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Vol 3 includes an errata for Vols 1 &  2 and having got to page 41 I am tempted to leave it on the bookshelf until Vol 5 presumably has an errata for it. Alarm bells rang with the introduction stating at the start of the fourth paragraph "In addition to the oil axleboxes mentioned previously..." when there is no such or is it a reference in the book or is it to Vol 1 or 2 in which case should be stated.

There seems to be something amiss on page 26 where after describing "End door only" there is an entry of "End or end and bottom doors only" - assuming that "or end" should be deleted.

More problematic are the first two paragraphs on page 32 - the first might relate to the photo on page 39. The second paragraph refers to "the lower view on page 38" but there is only one photo on that page although the rest of paragraph is correct for that photo.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Vol 3 includes an errata for Vols 1 &  2 and having got to page 41 I am tempted to leave it on the bookshelf until Vol 5 presumably has an errata for it. Alarm bells rang with the introduction stating at the start of the fourth paragraph "In addition to the oil axleboxes mentioned previously..." when there is no such or is it a reference in the book or is it to Vol 1 or 2 in which case should be stated.

There seems to be something amiss on page 26 where after describing "End door only" there is an entry of "End or end and bottom doors only" - assuming that "or end" should be deleted.

More problematic are the first two paragraphs on page 32 - the first might relate to the photo on page 39. The second paragraph refers to "the lower view on page 38" but there is only one photo on that page although the rest of paragraph is correct for that photo.

Ah well - what did you expect at £15.22  including post ? :diablo_mini:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

OK Cheeky comments about price aside, I have checked the book and your comments I think are fair observations.

But what is less fair to David, his publishers and potential purchasers, is your implication that somehow the book is therefore "not good enough". Your comment about leaving it on the shelf and waiting for the errata in the next volume is pretty mean to say the least.

David is not especially known for impeccable English or exhaustive referencing abilities, what he is well known for is his interest in and knowledge of  British railway wagons, the subject of this book, and also great generosity in providing information on the subject to us all over very many years. 

For those contemplating a purchase, (even at £15.22 from "we couldn't give a fig books ltd"), this book really is a good source of both information and photographs on its subject, which is of great interest to many of us.

It is not perfect, but very few things in this life are. As my printer once said to me; "Simon, nobody has ever yet produced the perfect book"

I am a publisher and, believe me, the ease with which mistakes (even quite big ones) can creep in to a book before it gets printed is the sort of thing that can keep you awake at night.

I haven't yet produced a perfect one, but I'll keep trying and I hope David Larkin does too.

Simon

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

50 years of research suitably dismissed. Sad. An attempt to condense the history of half a million wagons, gleaned from tiny corners of Britain. No one else is going to do the same, so accept what is offered.

What is sadder is how long it is going to take to produce this series as David is ageing, like the rest of us.

Paul

• Agree 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I am tempted to leave it on the bookshelf until Vol 5 presumably has an errata for it.

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I' m not dismissing the worth of the book, just wary of making the wrong assumption where an error exists.

??

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Volume 4 is finally due out on April 28 this year (2022) according to the Crecy web site. It covers General Merchandise Vans & Containers, Special Purpose Vans & Cattle Wagons

Edited by Andy Vincent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 26/03/2021 at 15:16, hmrspaul said:

50 years of research suitably dismissed. Sad. An attempt to condense the history of half a million wagons, gleaned from tiny corners of Britain. No one else is going to do the same, so accept what is offered.

What is sadder is how long it is going to take to produce this series as David is ageing, like the rest of us.

Paul

I have a comprehensive library of wagon reference books by various authors and consult most of them constantly. If I discarded those that weren’t 100% accurate then I wouldn’t have any left to consult.

My modelling would be considerably poorer and less informed without Mr Larkin’s outstanding contribution.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7