Bachmann MK 1 COACH BOGIES

paul 27

Want to fit commonwealth bogies these latest replacements have the couplings fixed can these be cut out

so as to keep the original swinging ones.

The couplings are screwed into the bogie. They can be unscrewed yielding a useful small screw and spare tensionlock that can serve a multitude of purposes.

You might need to trim the top of the damper that protrudes above the top of the side frame. This can catch on the underframe.

what about those coaches on the B4 bogies which in most photos I have seen appear to prop the coach up in the air ie; they sit too high on the bogie pivots.

you dont get this with the commonwealths.

is it an easy fix and in doing so would the roof between a modified coach align with a coach remaining on commonwealths?

Want to fit commonwealth bogies these latest replacements have the couplings fixed can these be cut out so as to keep the original swinging ones.

I haven't seen the recent productions of Commonwealth bogie spares. Bachmann have modified the mouldings of their coach bogies over the years, but however they are now making them, once the supplied coupler is detached make a matching cut out corresponding to that on the original bogie to guide the coupler head. (It may be easier to get the cut out the right shape by using what was originally the inside end of the bogie.)

what about those coaches on the B4 bogies which in most photos I have seen appear to prop the coach up in the air ie; they sit too high on the bogie pivots...

If there is an over height problem with B4s, I would look to fix it on the top of the bogie as you don't want to muck around with the Bachmann coach pivot on the body in my opinion. Filing down the top plate of the bogie should do the job. If this would leave the top plate too thin, then cement on a piece of plasticard under the top plate before starting, so that the finished result is a top plate of much the same thickness you started out with, but now with the top surface lowered. I haven't done this specifically on the B4 bogie as it is too late in period for my modelling, but have mucked about with several Bachmann bogie types in this manner to adapt them to other RTR and kits.

• RMweb Gold

Have Mk1s with B1 Commonwealth and B4 bogies - never noticed an appreciable height difference, will take some photos tonight

B4s have smaller wheels of course so gap looks bigger for same ride height

Phil

• Agree 1

what about those coaches on the B4 bogies which in most photos I have seen appear to prop the coach up in the air ie; they sit too high on the bogie pivots.

you dont get this with the commonwealths.

is it an easy fix and in doing so would the roof between a modified coach align with a coach remaining on commonwealths?

The difference with the construction of the Bachmann B4 bogies, compared to the BR1 and Commonwealth types, is that the B4 has a circular raised platform on the top horizontal plate that connects the two sideframes in the bogie moulding. In the BR1 and Commonwealth bogies, that plate is flat. I've recently bought the new BR maroon carflat, which has B4 bogies and changed them to BR1. The B4 bogies had the raised circular platform with higher edges at the sides, so it forms a rise and fall and gives a greater gap. Not sure if this is so on normal B4 bogies, but Bachmann have had to change the coupling cam system on the carflat, so that the floor is at the correct height. The cam and spring is now more exposed and only held in place by a thin rectangular plastic moulding that covers the bogie attachment spigot and extends to the two chassis sideframes. Not having many carriages with B4 bogies, I can't say if the prototypes do have a greater gap between the top of the sideframe and the chassis, compared to the model. If you do reduce the height of the B4 bogies by filing down the circular platform on the top of the bogie, it will close the gap, but by reducing the height of the carriage. The only way I can see that you could get the carriage height back, is by changing the wheels to a wider diameter.

In answer to the original OPs question. I bought the BR1 bogies as spares and they had a fixed coupling on a moulding that was between the bogie sideframes that would move the cam based coupling. The moulding was removeable as it was held in place by one screw. Remove the screw and the moulding and coupling come away, leaving the bogie as the type fitted to the production Mk1 coach models. I've checked the current Commonwealth bogie spare on the Hattons site- 36-008A and their photos show they definitely have the removable moulding and coupling system with one screw.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Want to fit commonwealth bogies these latest replacements have the couplings fixed can these be cut out

Absolutely yes, I just recently replaced the bogies on a dozen Bachmann Mk1 coaches which had commonwealths but I wanted B1's. I bought new B1 bogies, removed the coupling by unscrewing the 1 screw and simply swapped the bogies over (again just 1 screw to release/secure the bogie). Job done, existing coupling cams completely unaffected by the bogie change.

I have several pairs of the commonwealths up for sale on Ebay if you are interested. Alternatively I would swap them for B1 or B4's.

Edited by young37215

• RMweb Gold

So some photos for comparison

post-7138-0-07001800-1535480620_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-95972000-1535480640_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-79106100-1535480671_thumb.jpg

There is a suggestion that the B4s ride a tad higher...more noticeable on the B1 fitted coach than the one with Commonwealths 

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

Hi everyone,

Just read this and by coincidence just fitted a recent spares pack of commonwealth bogies to a MK1 last night. Really straight forward swap, unscrew the couplers mounted to the bogies and the commonwealths will drop in and secure with the original screws into the bottom of the coach floor.

Hope that helps

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17
  • Like 1

I found that the B4 bogies fitted to my Regional Railways MK2 Coaches(Modelrail LTD Editions) are different from the B4 bogies fitted to my MK1 Coaches.

The MK1 had a slightly taller platform where it mounts to the underside of the Chassis meaning it sat higher than the Commonwealth or BR1 bogied coaches. I also found that the B4 bogies on the MK2 were lower in height  meaning they sat to low. I swapped the bogies over which improved the look but it seemed weird that they would do this.

Cheers Trailrage   

• RMweb Gold

The quick answer appears to be yes.

Looking at the picture of the current version of these bogies on Hatton's website, the bit of the bogie that the tension-lock coupler is fixed to is joined to the rest of it by thin tabs.

That's similar to their current BR1 bogie so cutting the tabs will make the end of the new bogies the same shape as your original ones and clear the close-coupler link.

John

• 2 years later...

Was just about to paint up two commonwealth bogie sets with yellow axle boxes for a couple of ML support coaches, and realised my whole stock on CWs were used up (I have a new FK for my mainline set that needs another set of such bogies)

I looked at the price tag on one set I was about to work on £5.20. Then the other set (£8.75). Then went online to find them at £10.50!!!

What is going on? How have prices doubled in the space of about 5 years?

And why do they not just sell the bogie frame without wheels, tension lock etc? No labour to assemble except for a once over of black paint.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Was just about to paint up two commonwealth bogie sets with yellow axle boxes for a couple of ML support coaches, and realised my whole stock on CWs were used up (I have a new FK for my mainline set that needs another set of such bogies)

I looked at the price tag on one set I was about to work on £5.20. Then the other set (£8.75). Then went online to find them at £10.50!!!

What is going on? How have prices doubled in the space of about 5 years?

And why do they not just sell the bogie frame without wheels, tension lock etc? No labour to assemble except for a once over of black paint.

Ive chopped up plenty of bogies, I dont think they are painted, they all are black through and through, unless its the axle box, spring or weathered.

• 2 weeks later...

I also noted a ride height difference between Mk2 and MK2a coaches, one rode lower than the other, except I can't remember which was the lower! I used a Mk1 on BR1 bogies as the bench mark then lifted the lower MK2's with slivers of plasticard, It must have been the Mk2 vac brake one's which were lower as they are in a mixed Mk1/2 rake. I bought spare B4 bogies and the height difference was down to the circular boss on the bogie bolster being about 1mm different. A length of micro strip can be glued along the top of a B4 bogie to represent the reinforced version fitted on catering vehicles(and BG's?), I need to look at pictures because I have a feeling this applies to kitchen end only because of the extra weight.