The Final Dream

trains12

Hi Andy & Neil

Thanks for the comments.

Andy, have had a look at your new thread. In my mis-spent youth New Mills, New Mills South Junction ad Gowhole Sidings were my stomping grounds in the days of steam.

Today it has been 39 degrees in the garden on the thermometer. The result is have just been into the shed and guess what - the bridge decking on Bridge of Muir has bowed by about 15mm at one end. It appears as though the heat has pulled the glue away from the decking girders. This happened once before at the Great Central Railway Show a few years back and we rebuilt the deck but it looks as though we will have to do it again.

Haven't done much in there because of the heat so letting it all cool down.

Cheers for now

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Peter, Sorry to hear about the Bridge, it sounds very much like a re build in Brass might just be the answer mate, or, as it's no longer being exhibited, maybe a different type of Bridge, like a Girder, or maybe even a nice Stone Viaduct across the Valley.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Andy

Have just been looking at it. It is now going back down so if I can get some glue underneath the deck  to should hold it down , but I think it needs a larger expansion  joint at the end where it goes onto the stone viaduct section. Will try that first.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 3

Hi All

Here are a few shots that I have taken of the bowing on the bridge. It had nearly gone back last night but it has gone again this morning.

All so a few other shots of the layouts taken today. Sorting out some of the track that has to be laid and will I hope be starting on that in the next few days.

IMG_1299.jpg.2282ec3131bed155f8a9614cc066478a.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg.63aa8257970af1e1ba57e15449e2ef68.jpg 

IMG_1296.jpg.af5f765761f9e8ac6ff9735eaf007636.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg.b3fa565ae0123d85fd7a388cd191df02.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg.027c02ec5222bd59e884875e28c7f47b.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg.22151335edcb93d947feccc10021f34d.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg.9efdc6efcfa79695d86cb059354bef4b.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Peter

With regards to the bowing on the bridge may I make a suggestion please?

If the bridge is still structurally sound and the track level have you considered making a cameo scene of the bridge being repaired/repainted with the effected section hidden behind a screen of scaffolding and tarpaulins? 

All the best

Matt

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 01/08/2019 at 14:36, QuoitsPlayer said:

Hi Peter

With regards to the bowing on the bridge may I make a suggestion please?

If the bridge is still structurally sound and the track level have you considered making a cameo scene of the bridge being repaired/repainted with the effected section hidden behind a screen of scaffolding and tarpaulins? 

All the best

Matt

45 minutes ago, trains12 said:

Hi Matt

A good idea that, At prsent it has gone back down but I still may do something like that on the side of the bridge so keep looking.

Cheers

Peter

Nice idea Guys, but, surely if the Plasticard is going to expand and buckle in the heat, if you strengthen it in one area the distortion will occur elsewhere.

Hi Andy

Have already thought of that Andy. As it is only happening at the station end before it goes onto the viaduct am thinking of opening up the gap between the track bed and the track bed on the viaduct so they don't bind and then cut both rails and make a scarf sliding joint (similar to what is on the 360' lengths of welded rail). That way I hope that between the two ie track bed and rail joints, it will allow enough space for expansion caused by the heat.

Will let you know.

Cheers

Peter

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi All

Here is a photo of the two turbine generators that I have built for the inside of the power station with the associated wiring and flashing units.

Cheers

Peter

IMG_4969.jpg.63829be20100cc6e102596c1b5088e14.jpg

Edited by trains12
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 7 months later...

Thanks Wendy, I did appreciate your phone calls last week, informing me of all this, and as said, we all wish Peter well, and hope he can find a way of getting home soon.

Knowing your property, access will be difficult from the Car to the door, but again, hopefully you will get some assistance where needed.

Please pass on my best wishes to Peter, and when he feels like a chat please tell him to ring me.

All the best to you and your Family.

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Medical Report >>>

As a fellow type 1 diabetic on insulin I know how stringent we all have to be with our food intake.  Keeping the balance of the right carbs can be difficult and tiresome to maintain..  I'm 75 now and have had a few minor brushes with some smallish ulcers on my big toe that took many months to clear. 

They now tell that I have to wear special shoes, I look like I'm wearing Shrek's boots but they do relieve the pressure off my big toe and hence no more blisters occurring.

It is a constant battle keeping check of my blood sugars but for about 18 months I have been using a Freestyle Libre sensor which reads my BG constantly so minimises the finger pricking, it's excellent.  It is the size of a £2 coin and a canula self applied into my arm, easy peasy.  It is a wireless thing and the reader scans it you add the carbs to be eaten and it calculates how much insulin to inject, whoo hoo.  It has made my Blood sugars much better and kept me away from the Ketone areas.

A week ago I had an Omnipod fitted, this is a wireless and tubeless device that again has a canular inserted, once again these are self applied, very easy.

You pre-load insulin in then depending on my readings the internal mini pump, pumps Insulin into me through the canular, fabo.

All this is done through my smart phone and is cloud stored which allows my Diabetic nurse to view and make/ suggest any adjustments.

Take care, I'm sure you will soon work out a way to get to your shed a, "beam me up Scottie" device or a Tarzan swing rope.

Best

PS if you have any questions fire away and I'll do my best to answer you.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 10:14, Barnaby said:

Medical Report >>>

As a fellow type 1 diabetic on insulin I know how stringent we all have to be with our food intake.  Keeping the balance of the right carbs can be difficult and tiresome to maintain..  I'm 75 now and have had a few minor brushes with some smallish ulcers on my big toe that took many months to clear. 

They now tell that I have to wear special shoes, I look like I'm wearing Shrek's boots but they do relieve the pressure off my big toe and hence no more blisters occurring.

It is a constant battle keeping check of my blood sugars but for about 18 months I have been using a Freestyle Libre sensor which reads my BG constantly so minimises the finger pricking, it's excellent.  It is the size of a £2 coin and a canula self applied into my arm, easy peasy.  It is a wireless thing and the reader scans it you add the carbs to be eaten and it calculates how much insulin to inject, whoo hoo.  It has made my Blood sugars much better and kept me away from the Ketone areas.

A week ago I had an Omnipod fitted, this is a wireless and tubeless device that again has a canular inserted, once again these are self applied, very easy.

You pre-load insulin in then depending on my readings the internal mini pump, pumps Insulin into me through the canular, fabo.

All this is done through my smart phone and is cloud stored which allows my Diabetic nurse to view and make/ suggest any adjustments.

Take care, I'm sure you will soon work out a way to get to your shed a, "beam me up Scottie" device or a Tarzan swing rope.

Best

PS if you have any questions fire away and I'll do my best to answer you.

As a type 2 whose wife is a Type 1, I understand your and Peter's situations.

My wife has had a Libre for six months now and just got CCG funding approval for another 18 months

So on the Omnipod, who is funding that, the NHS or yourself?

Peter's situation makes us remember that we really shouldn't moan about the restrictions to cope with Coronavirus. Better a restricted life than the alternative...…

Cheers

Paul

(Tallpaul 69)

Trying through "Lower Thames Yard" to achieve a long held ambition to play trains with the WR Main Line. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks for the update Wendy, which I have only just seen. I hope Peter is able to return home when circumstances permit and that he is able to get into the layout room when he feels up to it.

Please pass on our best regards from all at Rhyl & District Model Railway Club.

Best wishes to you both.

Martyn.

• Agree 1

Thanks Martyn and all at Rhyl Club.

Peter has now been moved to Bangor which is one step closer but are now pushing (with agreement of Doctors and staff) for transfer to Caernarfon Community hospital where he will receive intensive rehabilitation.

Will keep everyone informed as I know many are wishing him well.

Wendy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Peter has at last been moved to Eryri Hospital here in Caernarfon to start the intensive physio/rehabilitation he needs.

Just waiting on a phone call to confirm that they have managed to get him into a wheelchair in his room and they will then get him to a window so I can take the dog (and some personal possessions for him to reception) so he can see him. They haven't seen each other for 7 weeks now. Kills 2 birds with one stone, excercise and delivery thus not going out too many times.

Keep safe everyone

Wendy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I phoned Peter yesterday, he is still in Hospital, but considering his situation he was in remarkably high spirits and is looking forward to getting home, (obviously) to Wendy, and getting some sort of normality back in their lives, and eventually getting back into the Shed.

I wish I lived nearer, so I could go around and help with the project, (I'm moving down to Hampshire in a couple of weeks, so even further away).

I'm sure we all wish him well.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Andy,

Yes all of a sudden things appear to be moving regarding his mobility capability. With the current situation physios have been moved from other locations and at present he has 2 helping him most days. In fact yesterday he was able, for the first time, to move around his room under his own steam just with the help of a frame for balance.

At present though he is safe in the community hospital and I have now just started back at work.  Good luck with the move Andy when it happens. Keep safe all.

Thanks to all for your support.

Regards

Wendy

Edited by trains12
spelling error
  • Like 6

Just to add, this is a copy of a post I put into the Early Risers section this morning.

Some of you on here may know of Peter Midwinter / Trains12, well just to update you all.

He is still in Eryri Cottage Hospital in Caernarfon, having recently had to have a Leg amputation due to Sepsis and other complications.

I phoned him yesterday, and considering his current situation, he seemed in remarkably high spirits.

He had recently completed his new Shed / Barn / Manor House at his home on the back side of Snowdon overlooking Anglesey. The plan was and still is after my conversation with him yesterday to install and join up his former Exhibition Layouts, Great Tunsley Dale, Bridge of Muir, Glen Gillie, Loch Inch, and 2 of the old Stations from Manchester based on Whitland.

I'm sure many who know him will wish him a speedy recovery, and also wish him well with his project (see his Thread = The Final Dream), once he is able to return home to his wife Wendy, and try to resurrect and re organised the project as soon as he is able.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well things are moving on quickly.

Lounge resembling a private hospital room with Arjo stedy and new hospital bed and air mattress already installed. Had to move out the 3 seater sofa to accommodate it all!  Work not yet commenced on alterations  so his wheelchair will not yet fit through into lounge without making the threshold slightly larger and installing a ramp. (This house was built pre 1645 and has 4ft thick walls so any adaptations are going to be challenging)  Having said  that was able earlier this week to take Bertie to see him and he was able to wheel himself out of the back entrance. Dog and man spent a good  20 minutes together whilst I remained at a distance. Be assured that I do pass on your messages to him and I know that once he is home he will be back on here himself to thank you all for your good wishes and support.

Keep safe

Wendy

• Friendly/supportive 9

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 13:31, trains12 said:

Well things are moving on quickly.

Lounge resembling a private hospital room with Arjo stedy and new hospital bed and air mattress already installed. Had to move out the 3 seater sofa to accommodate it all!  Work not yet commenced on alterations  so his wheelchair will not yet fit through into lounge without making the threshold slightly larger and installing a ramp. (This house was built pre 1645 and has 4ft thick walls so any adaptations are going to be challenging)  Having said  that was able earlier this week to take Bertie to see him and he was able to wheel himself out of the back entrance. Dog and man spent a good  20 minutes together whilst I remained at a distance. Be assured that I do pass on your messages to him and I know that once he is home he will be back on here himself to thank you all for your good wishes and support.

Keep safe

Wendy

Glad to here Peters doing well Wendy:good:

cheers neil..

• Like 2

Glad to hear preparations for Peter to return home again are advancing, that is great news, I hope the adaptations to the house are able to be done soon to make things easier for you both, so he can return when possible.

Best wishes to you both.

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...