The Final Dream

trains12

37 minutes ago, trains12 said:

This is just a short message for all followers of this and other threads started by Peter on this forum.

Unfortunately Peter passed away yesterday morning very suddenly at home (17th)

I know a great number of you knew him personally and after all he had been through this year, and got over, this will come as a shock.

For those interested there is an article coming out in the next issue of Model Rail on Peters layout featuring Connel Ferry bridge, just a pity he won't now see it.

Keep safe all and best wishes

Wendy

So sorry to hear this Wendy. Never knew or met Peter but his layouts were so impressive and provided so much interest. This project he was working on was fantastic and I'm sorry he won't see it completed. After a troubled year I wish you all the very best and hope Peter is now resting in peace. 

All the very best, 

John 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear this Wendy, I met Peter a number of times and he was always kind and courteous to a fault.

My deepest condolences to you and thank you for taking the time to let us know at this difficult time.

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, trains12 said:

This is just a short message for all followers of this and other threads started by Peter on this forum.

Unfortunately Peter passed away yesterday morning very suddenly at home (17th)

I know a great number of you knew him personally and after all he had been through this year, and got over, this will come as a shock.

For those interested there is an article coming out in the next issue of Model Rail on Peters layout featuring Connel Ferry bridge, just a pity he won't now see it.

Keep safe all and best wishes

Wendy

I'm so sorry to hear this Wendy, Peter's work was a great inspiration to me and many others, we will miss him.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators

I am genuinely sorry to hear the news Wendy; my heartfelt sympathies. I know it's been too many years since I came up to photo Great Tunsley Dale for Model Rail but Peter was always such a character!

:heart_mini: Andy York

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you Wendy for updating this thread. I was still in shock after our phone conversation yesterday.

Peters workmanship, skill at adapting basic household things, and his humour will be remembered by the many who met him.

His articles had a story to tell and irrespective of which Magazine they were in, they were always enjoyed not only for the work that went into them but also in most cases the sheer size of each project.

My thoughts are with you, Toni and Zoe at this difficult time.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm so deeply saddened to hear this Wendy. It was a pleasure and an honour to not only have met Peter, but also be shown around his collection at your lovely house several years ago. He was a kind man and will be sorely missed. 

• Like 3

Very sad news Wendy, my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I'm sure I speak for all of us at Rhyl & District MRC in sending our best wishes to you all.

Peter was such a softly spoken Gentleman and through his prodigious modelling, an ambassador for our hobby. Photo shows Peter at the Prestatyn MRE, December 2016, building a model of the River Severn Bridge (Monmouthshire) iirc, yet another impressive piece of structure modelling.

IMG_20161203_105949.jpg.38e0cbb3988690d54bd0e78d18dd088d.jpg

Martyn Wild.

Edited by Signaller69
Add photo.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

In my part-time role as Consultant Editor on Model Rail, I have little or nothing to do with the choice of content for any issue, other than my own article contributions. So the first I get to see of most articles is as proofs. In the office on a Monday morning, I would find a pile of proofs on my desk to wade through, checking words, spelling, captions to pictures, and so on. Since working from home began in March, I now log-in to read proofs on screen, so it was with some delight that I opened my computer recently to find a stunning photo of what was very obviously the Connel Ferry Bridge in miniature. I knew the builder's name, Pete Midwinter from way back when, as Editor myself, I had published a feature on one of Pete's previous layouts. I was shocked, indeed, to learn of Pete's passing just days before his latest, splendid structure appeared in print. Sadly, he never got to see it, although I've no doubt he saw Chris Nevard's photographs. My sincere condolences to Pete's wife, family and friends at this very sad time. (Chris Leigh)

Edited by dibber25
missing word
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Thank you Chris for those comments.

Do I take it that the issue is now out or coming out very soon? I have not yet seen it.

For all those following this, Peters funeral was yesterday and despite all the restrictions it went off very well and was more of a celebration of his life than a serious religious ceremony. A few tears and a lot of laughter followed by a meal at his favourite Indian restaurant, the owner - Sid - opening up especially for us which kept it private and no normal customers tutting at our not quite social distancing although we were all very careful.

Once again many thanks for all your kind comments and support.

Keep safe all

Wendy

Edited by trains12
spelling correction
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Having recently returned to RMWeb after a brief absence, I have only just caught up on this thread and the sad news. I offer my condolences to Wendy and all of Peter's family and friends. I was a great admirer of his work in particular "Glen Gillie" and the layout featuring the large over bridge (Bridge of Mur?) and enjoyed seeing them at several exhibitions. A few years ago Peter put an appeal out asking for operating help on Glen Gillie at the Great Central show. I offered and spent an enjoyable day in his company operating the layout. Peter invited me back the following year to operate the bridge layout. He was a talented modeller and I found him a friendly and unassuming gentleman. A sad loss and my thoughts and good wishes go out to you.

• Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, trains12 said:

Thank you Chris for those comments.

Do I take it that the issue is now out or coming out very soon? I have not yet seen it.

For all those following this, Peters funeral was yesterday and despite all the restrictions it went off very well and was more of a celebration of his life than a serious religious ceremony. A few tears and a lot of laughter followed by a meal at his favourite Indian restaurant, the owner - Sid - opening up especially for us which kept it private and no normal customers tutting at our not quite social distancing although we were all very careful.

Once again many thanks for all your kind comments and support.

Keep safe all

Wendy

I will ask Jane to ensure that you are sent a copy ASAP. Unfortunately, as we don't have daily access to our office, routine jobs such as receiving bundles of mags and sending them out to contributors have become a bit hit-and-miss of late. I have received a subscription copy, so the subs copies are evidently in circulation and that should mean that it will be out this weekend. (Chris Leigh)

• Like 3

Having purchased my copy of Modelrail magazine I settled down yesterday evening to read through the article on Connel Ferry. Sadly, and somewhat shocked to read right at the end that Peter had passed away just before the article went to print.

My only connection with Peter was through these posts and the one and only time I spoke to him when he came up to Bonnybridge Model Railway show in Scotland with Connel Bridge. What a lovely man to talk to. I'm sure he will be sorely missed by the modelling fraternity.

Bill. (Glenfinnan).

• Like 1

I've only just come across this extremely sad news. Peter was a real character and gentleman - and a truly outstanding modeller. The quality of his layouts, and the skills and knowledge he freely demonstrated and shared, are a true testament to his abilities, creativity and ingenuity. 

It has been as number of years since I last saw Peter at the old unit or at the local show in Llanberis, but I have never forgotten his friendly and welcoming nature and how jaw droppingly impressive his models always were. 

Rest in peace Peter. The world of model making is a poorer place as a result of your untimely passing. 

Condolences to the family. 

Christian. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I little time has now passed and I am trying to make headway with all the railwayania that has been left to me.

Does anyone know of any person/s or club/society that would be interested in any of Peters magnificent layouts? It would be a travisty if I have to destroy them after all the work sweat and tears that has gone into each and every one of them. I know I will never recoup the financial costs but any reasonable offers will be considered. This is the one area where I am lost and is why I am reaching out here to his friends and followers. Please bear in mind the scale of these layouts - Peter didn't do small.

Please PM me if anyone can help or advise it would be much appreciated.

Take care all

Wendy

Edited by trains12
add on
  • Friendly/supportive 4