The Final Dream

trains12

Hi all

Well a little bit of good news!

At long last I've a friend doing the electrics into the shed. Would have been finished yesterday completely except for the wind and rain which cost us a good few hours. Weather permitting he will be back Thursday or Friday to finish the job then at last we will be able to see in the place and stop running cables down with the joints between the 2 extension leads protected from the weather.

In the meantime doing a bit of general modelling on buildings etc. and have completed the wheel drop kit, the crane for the nuclear wagon siding and just need to finish painting the wagon coal drops for the canal scene.

Will take a few photos over the next few days and post them.

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Dave for rating posts.

You will have to come up and see us.

With the elecrtics on by this weekend it will make a heck of a difference on lighting and being able to use the power tools so I am aiming within the next fortnight to have completed all the boards arouind the room and hopefully also will have the 2 main line track circuits completed and laid and then its connecting the wiring up on the new boards. So by the end of October will be running trains on the main circuit again.

Hope to see you

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

At long last got all the electrics connected up but now awaiting electrician to check all ok and then it can be switched on. Not bad after waiting to get it done for the last 9 months.

In the meantime have moved a lot of the stock down and sorted a lot of stock out which will be going to get shut of. Have also built a couple more baseboards ready to start laying some track, but have been let down by a supplier. We ordered 7lb bag of Extra fine granite ballast but just out luck they have invoiced us correctly but sent coarse scale suitable for 0 gauge. Trouble is we opened the bag and that is when we found out! Will still have to try and get some Extra fine again.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi All

Well a a few shots of the coal drop for the side of the canal on the  new board. Have completed two of the new boards to-day  and awaiting the cork to dry then some track can be laid when the new ballast arrives.

Cheers for now.

Peter

post-6915-0-66911700-1537809588.jpg

post-6915-0-56485900-1537809590.jpg

post-6915-0-29294800-1537809592.jpg

• Like 3

Hi All

Still awaiting the inspection and connection of the electric.

Managed to lay more cork on two of the boards and build the lift out section at the main door, Have also now one of the Bridge of Muir boards up from the shop/unit but will need a van to bring the actual bridge board up to the layout due to it being 8ft long and so will not fit in the car.

Will keep you all updated.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 2

Hi All

Still no power into the shed. It is getting too dark at times to do any work so little is being done.

I have started to lay some of the track over the lift out section by the door and have finished laying the second layer of cork for the main line on the existing boards. With some light on the subject I would be able to get a heck of other work done. Still cannot belive that it has taken from end of march till now to get the electric installed.

Any way here is a shot I have taken today of the lift out board.

post-6915-0-97340200-1538400156.jpg

• Like 5

Hi All

Great news.

We have finally got the light on in the shed and whar a differnce it makes. Will take a few shots and let you all see what it looks like with them on. Will now be able to make some progress at last.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 6

Hi All

Martin will try and produce a track plan this week. It may be a made up one of the  old plans from the magazines but  there could be a few gaps , like the coal mine and the MPD yard which have not been sorted out yet.

Peter

Hi all

Shot of the re-aligned entrance into the storage yards coming from the lift out section over the door. Still got to finish the wiring but it is making a difference having the lights on.

post-6915-0-00624800-1538650001.jpg

Cheers

Peter

• Like 8

Hi all

Not been too good this last week so not done much at all on the layout but have started on the old stone buildings which are in ruins on the corner of GTD on the new board.

As usual there will be some piping involved no doubt.

On a seperate matter another 20 odd ICI Hoppers have arrived with the last 10 being despatched frpm Hattons tpday which will give me a total of 50 which will allow a good 4 trains of either 10 or 12 wagons to be run with a few spare.

Below are a couple of shots have taken of some of them being pulled by 2 of my Hornby Crosti 9F's, one in mint condition and one in GTD yard beautifully weathered for me by a friend at Hartlepool a couple of years ago and which I am very sorry to say have completely forgotten his name.

Anyway here they are but I must apologise for the slight fuzziness cann'y get the camera right yet on focusing.

post-6915-0-30082500-1539176786.jpg

post-6915-0-25887700-1539176789.jpg

post-6915-0-73184700-1539176791.jpg

post-6915-0-59663600-1539176793.jpg

Peter

• Like 7

Hoppers are looking very good Peter, as is all the Fiddle Yard Sidings.

I try and pop in whenever you post, but I too have been busy on my O Gauge Layout, Seven Mills and Dore End. 

Keep up the good work, but don't over do each day, even I've learnt to slow down now. :no: and concentrate on just one home Layout.

• Like 1

Hi all

After the storm today has been really good and have spent the day wiring up and doing various bits and peices on the layout.

The shed weathered the storm well but some more of the ceiling in the barn library has come down.

If there is anybody local who would be interested in helping setting up the layout and wiring please pm me, all help gratefully received (free tea and coffee provided).

Yesterday with the weather being so bad didn't move from inside the house so I started work on one of the new buildings for GTD, it being an old loading type structure the idea being that the tracks have been taken up and some new silos built for powder products via road transport. The basis of the kit at present is some Ratio stone arches but no doubt, as usual, it will end up with bits of piping and rusty iron work as per my other industrial buildings.

Below is a photo have just taken so please add some comments.

Peter

post-6915-0-98777800-1539534774.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Couple of shots of some of the rolling stock that is used on GTD. The little blue diesel shunter was one I made from an old matchbox diesel using parts from the scrap box. Originally when I put it on the GTD thread a member posted and sent me pm's saying that I was ruining a good layout and it was stupid so its been lying in the scrap box until the other day when I found it. It is now going to be used.

The other wagon is a model of a wagon that was made by ICI at Tunstead in the workshops for doing maintenance work on the unloading hopper doors of the main buildings. The photos show the state it was in a good few years ago. I am not certain if it still exists.

When at the site with Paul a number of years ago I photographed it and took some leading dimensions and the other photo shows the resulting model.

Have been sorting out a lot of stock and beginning to finish build the missing sections of base boards so will keep you informed.

Peter

post-6915-0-11373900-1540897076.jpg not certain if I took this one or Jamie did. If he did thanks very much

post-6915-0-20694600-1540897033.jpg

post-6915-0-61381300-1540897025.jpg  This is the original wagon.

post-6915-0-24145100-1540897029.jpg  This is the model that I made.

• Like 8

Hi all

Couple of shots of some of the rolling stock that is used on GTD. The little blue diesel shunter was one I made from an old matchbox diesel using parts from the scrap box. Originally when I put it on the GTD thread a member posted and sent me pm's saying that I was ruining a good layout and it was stupid so its been lying in the scrap box until the other day when I found it. It is now going to be used.

The other wagon is a model of a wagon that was made by ICI at Tunstead in the workshops for doing maintenance work on the unloading hopper doors of the main buildings. The photos show the state it was in a good few years ago. I am not certain if it still exists.

When at the site with Paul a number of years ago I photographed it and took some leading dimensions and the other photo shows the resulting model.

Have been sorting out a lot of stock and beginning to finish build the missing sections of base boards so will keep you informed.

Peter

attachicon.gifGreat Tunsley Dale (598).jpg not certain if I took this one or Jamie did. If he did thanks very much

attachicon.gifIMG_2469.jpg GTD.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1456.jpg GTD.jpg  This is the original wagon.

attachicon.gifIMG_2028.jpg GTD.jpg  This is the model that I made.

You have got to use the Diesel!! Nothing wrong with it! Neat little industrial shunter!!

Ya, Boo, Sucks to the people who said it wasn't good enough!!

Chris.

• Like 1

You have got to use the Diesel!! Nothing wrong with it! Neat little industrial shunter!!

Ya, Boo, Sucks to the people who said it wasn't good enough!!

Chris.

that's a pretty little diesel. Just needs some glazing and it'll look great.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure who the almighty judge was who "dissed" your little diesel, but may his socks rot! It looks fine, represents exactly the sort of little shunter many small industries employed, and if it isn't 100% faithfully prototypical so what? Locos that look right and run well are fit to be seen on a layout. 

I think it was in the April 1964 RM that the late David Lloyd described his Irish NG layout "Augher Valley", and for this 15-y-o it ticked a great number of boxes. I am certain he noted the impressive scenic effects were by "my gifted friend Peter Midwinter" and while that layout is long gone, it is evident that you are still well up to the task! 

• Like 2