Port Road Dumfries to Stranraer line Circ 1960-65

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I have been steadily collecting information and photos on what l believe was the UK's last "Main" line operated solely with steam, namely the Port Road Dumfries to Stranraer line.

I have come across a photo l was given by a fellow RMweb member a number of years ago, which shows a Black 5 and a Std class 5 73xx loco double heading two coaches at Dromore in 1963. I took the photo at face value but lately began to wonder why l d not seen any other examples of 73xxx working on the line. I first tried to locate Dromore, using the Old Maps web site and Google maps. All l came up with was a couple of farms which seemed to be too far away from the location of the railway, so l am now beginning to wonder if this photo is of a Port Road location at all.

Can any members shed light on either the location or of Std class5 73xxx locomotives working over the Dumfries to Stranraer line?

Can't help with the 73xxx, but Dromore is right by the Port Road, just west of the Big Water of Fleet viaduct and about 2km north of Gatehouse station.  The cliffs known as the Clints of Dromore are very prominent and visible from the station.

Edited to add ('cos I forgot) Gatehouse Station was known as Dromore for several periods in the early years - seems to have alternated a bit between Dromore and Gatehouse before finally becoming Gatehouse of Fleet

Edited by eastglosmog

• RMweb Premium

Can't help with the 73xxx, but Dromore is right by the Port Road, just west of the Big Water of Fleet viaduct and about 2km north of Gatehouse station.  The cliffs known as the Clints of Dromore are very prominent and visible from the station.

Hi there

Many thanks for confirming that Dromore is on the Port Road, well if nothing else that's one confirmed sighting of a 73xxx!

I have come across a photo l was given by a fellow RMweb member a number of years ago, which shows a Black 5 and a Std class 5 73xx loco double heading two coaches at Dromore in 1963. I took the photo at face value but lately began to wonder why l'd not seen any other examples of 73xxx working on the line.

None of the sheds which regularly supplied engines for Port Road services (Dumfries, Kirkcudbright, Stranraer, Kingmoor and the odd one from Crewe North) had any Standard 5s allocated, so they would not have been seen regularly on the Port Road. Corkerhill did have Standard 5s, and did use them on Glasgow-Stranraer services, so they would appear in Stranraer. Also, Corkerhill engines would work to, and through, Dumfries. So occasional appearances of Standard 5s on the Port Road could be explained by Dumfries or Stranraer sheds using a Corkerhill engine that had worked in.

What's the number of the engine in the photograph you referred to?

Std 5s were used on the Port Road as part of a circular diagram (or rather, triangular) from Corkerhill. I believe the photo Blobrick refers to is reproduced in Swan's book with the number quoted as 73100 but l'll check that. The number is not quoted in Cross's book. 73109 also put in an appearance, I might even remember where if you give me long enough! All sorts of foreign engines appear in photos of the route, especially black 5s.

Edited by Wheatley

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2018 at 00:47, pH said:

None of the sheds which regularly supplied engines for Port Road services (Dumfries, Kirkcudbright, Stranraer, Kingmoor and the odd one from Crewe North) had any Standard 5s allocated, so they would not have been seen regularly on the Port Road. Corkerhill did have Standard 5s, and did use them on Glasgow-Stranraer services, so they would appear in Stranraer. Also, Corkerhill engines would work to, and through, Dumfries. So occasional appearances of Standard 5s on the Port Road could be explained by Dumfries or Stranraer sheds using a Corkerhill engine that had worked in.

What's the number of the engine in the photograph you referred to?

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached a copy of the photo in question, it identifies the Black 5 as 44957 but there are no details of the Std 5 bringing up the rear apart from the photo is dated 1963. Judging by he motive power to train weight, it does look like the operating dept are saving a path whilst returning a loco

Edited by AY Mod
Copyright images removed
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic shot, and in my time period of 1963 too!!  Thank you very much!!!

That's the one, I'll check the number tonight if no-one beats me to it

Edit - it is 73100 but it's not in Andrew Swan's book, it's in George O'Hara's BR Steam in Scotland.

Thanks for taking the time to dig out the info!!

• 2 weeks later...

There was a lovely story about a Patricroft Caprotti Standard 5 turning up at Stranraer and being used for a few days on Glasgow services.I think it was Derek Cross who wrote about it.

I've not seen that - can you remember where you read it?

Some Patricroft Caprotti 5s were shopped in Glasgow late on in steam days, and would be run in locally. I saw 73141 waiting to go into Cowlairs in August 1965, and 73129, ex-works, at Gourock in June 1965.

• RMweb Premium

I actually thought that it was Ayr who "acquired" the Caprotti, and they used it for some time on Stranraers, and Glasgows until it's disappearance was detected by Patricroft.   I think that it may be that the article was Drivers Wild which appeared in one of the Ian Allen Locospotters or Trains Illustrated annuals and the author was Derek Cross.