Permanent uncoupling magnets

I have installed some ‘Neodymium & Samarium Cobalt’ magnets for S&W couplings but they seem to be having the effect of slowing down or even stopping the locos motors.

Does anybody please have a recommendation for magnets for S&Ws which can be located between sleepers?

Thanks

I suggest magnets from Magnet Expert Ltd (www.first4magnets.com). They are 10 x 5 x 1mm thick N42 Neodymium Magnets with a pull of 0.6kg (North) - reference no. F1051NA-20. They cost £6.64 for 20 including 1st Class P&P.

They work successfully with S&W couplings on Tony Wright's Little Bytham.

Michael

I suggest magnets from Magnet Expert Ltd (www.first4magnets.com). They are 10 x 5 x 1mm thick N42 Neodymium Magnets with a pull of 0.6kg (North) - reference no. F1051NA-20. They cost £6.64 for 20 including 1st Class P&P.

Michael

Many thanks for that, Ive ordered a set.

Is there a thread for Little Bytham on RMweb? Sorry to ask the question but I've never managed to get the search engine on RMweb to work!

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for that, Ive ordered a set.

Is there a thread for Little Bytham on RMweb? Sorry to ask the question but I've never managed to get the search engine on RMweb to work!

Regards

I find the search engine only seems to work if you go back to the main RMWeb Forum Index page, then type in your search. 

Edited by ianLMS

I used some 3mm dia, 10mm long N52 magnets (admittedly for the staple glued to tension lock method of uncoupling rather than S&W). The advantage being you can drill a 3mm hole between the sleepers, push in the magnet and re-ballast over the top and they're invisible - just make sure you remember where you installed them! A couple of photo's on my test plank here. I've not seen any affect on motors / axles etc. 

I had to install magnets after track laying.

I obtained a 'experimenting set' from one of the well known neo suppliers. After testing and finding the right one I glued them underneath the baseboard. Get the correct ones and they work well without disturbing the track. You can also move them if incorrectly placed.

Dave

I have resolved this problem now. The ballasting of the track needs some attention (perhaps a lot actually). I'm now thinking about how to make the location of the magnets visible after re-ballasting; perhaps a different colour of ballast or some static grass, either will do.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

I have resolved this problem now. The ballasting of the track needs some attention (perhaps a lot actually). I'm now thinking about how to make the location of the magnets visible after re-ballasting; perhaps a different colour of ballast or some static grass, either will do.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Paint the  side of rail on the operating side white where the magnet is.

• RMweb Gold

I added a spot of yellow/mustard paint to the end of the sleepers. These line up with where the buffer needs to be. The spots are only 'visible' if you know where to look, otherwise they just blend in.

post-7025-0-62233500-1536152052_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-29531600-1536152115_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Michael

Thanks for the above tip. At the moment I don't use magnet uncoupling but as I am building a new shunting layout it makes sense to put magnets in now at track lay stage. Newbies question; will these be correct for any magnetic coupling option I might pick in the future?

I have installed some ‘Neodymium & Samarium Cobalt’ magnets for S&W couplings but they seem to be having the effect of slowing down or even stopping the locos motors.

Does anybody please have a recommendation for magnets for S&Ws which can be located between sleepers?

Thanks

On my layout, the magnets have been cut in half and placed vertically. Strong enough when you ‘hover’ over them, but generally have no effect when you run the train over them

Edit: should have said that these are the S&W magnets from Wizard.

Edited by 88D

Thanks for the above tip. At the moment I don't use magnet uncoupling but as I am building a new shunting layout it makes sense to put magnets in now at track lay stage. Newbies question; will these be correct for any magnetic coupling option I might pick in the future?

Hi,

Probably not - although I've only used Spratt and Winkle up to now. Probably not correct also for coupling systems that use electromagnets. 

Best to check.

As to future coupling options that happen not to have been invented yet who can tell.

I'm hoping to fit my DCC EMUs and DEMUs with DCC operated Buckeye couplings.

Regards

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I used some 3mm dia, 10mm long N52 magnets (admittedly for the staple glued to tension lock method of uncoupling rather than S&W). The advantage being you can drill a 3mm hole between the sleepers, push in the magnet and re-ballast over the top and they're invisible - just make sure you remember where you installed them! A couple of photo's on my test plank here. I've not seen any affect on motors / axles etc. 

Could you post a link to where you got them from please? 

• RMweb Gold

I suggest magnets from Magnet Expert Ltd (www.first4magnets.com). They are 10 x 5 x 1mm thick N42 Neodymium Magnets with a pull of 0.6kg (North) - reference no. F1051NA-20. They cost £6.64 for 20 including 1st Class P&P.

[/color]

For use with S&W does one need North or South polarity ones? Assume the difference is which side the stickyness is on??

Ta

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

For use with S&W does one need North or South polarity ones? Assume the difference is which side the stickyness is on??

Ta

Ralf

Sorry folks just seen the answer is North but can’t get post to edit or delete via my mobile. Apologies.