Exactoscale Track Components

mike knowles

The Scalefour Society is delighted to announce that Exactoscale will be a trader at this year's Scaleforum show on 22 & 23 September.

Exactoscale Products is not a company but an informal cooperative group of modellers who will supply components to the modelling community.  At Scaleforum, they have been given a small space to launch Exactoscale Products and explain their future plans.

Exactoscale will make sales (cash only) of P4 carriage and wagon wheels together with a limited selection of items from the range of track products.

Exactoscale do not envisage normally having an Exactoscale Products stand at exhibitions.so this represents a possible one-off opportunity to acquire material and have a conversation about the range.

After Scaleforum, wheels will be available from early October from Scalefour and EMGS Stores only,  Timescales for bearings and back-to-back gauges are not yet clear but these
are an important part of the range and will be made  available as soon as possible.
4mm scale products will be available from the Scalefour and EMGS stores and 7mm
scale products will be available from the Scale 7 Group stores.

Updates on the process of getting Exactoscale Products up and running will be posted on the Scalefour Society’s webforum and, in the next Scalefour News and EMGS Newsletter.

Yet another reason to visit Scaleforum.  We look forward to seeing you there!

https://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/2018/

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Andrew Jukes has just announced that the new Exactoscale web site is up and running:

https://exactoscale.com

Martin.

A welcome price reduction for society members, turnout bases and fishplates missing from the initial list of available items I do hope the turnout track bases will still be available separately

I do hope that society membership increases

A welcome price reduction for society members, turnout bases and fishplates missing from the initial list of available items I do hope the turnout track bases will still be available separately

I do hope that society membership increases

Isn’t this the price from exactoscale itself with a margin added , I thought the societies pricing was to be slightly lower

The Fishplates are on the list (Bottom right) although they have the incorrect product code (which should be 4XX FP01) 

However, on the downloadable PDF it is correct. Obviously a typo which will be corrected.

On the subject of turnout track bases we haven't got that far yet in the sorting out process but if you want anything specific post on here and I'll bring it to Scaleforum.

The Exactoscale Products stand at Scaleforum will be manned by Celia and Tony Sullivan (Track) and Eddie Bourne (Wheels).

We look forward to seeing you all

MNW1919

Tony Sullivan

Tony

Firstly there are the turnout timbers pack, sorry not at home so cannot give you the product code. This would be of assistance to those wanting plastic timbers

Secondly peter sold the plastic track bases from the kits separately. These are extremely usefull to those who either use nickel silver rail or model in EM gauge, as the turnout bases are fine as they are, crossings need a little adaptation in length

Thanks for a swift reply

Edit

Just looked at the PDF as you said fishplates are on it as are the turnout timbers. Will catch up with you at the show

Thanks again

Edited by hayfield

Just to let everyone know, the Exactoscale Products website now has details of their current items, with prices. Not everything is available yet, only the listed items.

https://exactoscale.com/

There will be a one-off trade stand at Scaleforum in Aylesbury 22nd/23rd September.

Edited by davidmcc3

• RMweb Gold

I thought that the milled gearboxes were by Ultrascale rather than Exactoscale. I still have gearboxes sold by Exactoscale Mk1 back in the '90s and they are assembled from turned pillars and stamped-plate sides.

They produced some with milled brass sides later on, using the same gears as before.

The ones you are thinking of were gears by Utrascale, milled sides by Mike Sharman.

Who knows? Isn't a bit early for that, given that they have to find their feet all over again?

According to what Andrew Jukes has been saying, Exactoscale remained in charge of production all along, and the recent changes are about distribution.

Besides, I am not saying that I want them now, just want to know if they are planning to bring them back: my words were quite clear - the phrase “in the future” was the giveaway.

If someone does know, perhaps they will tell us.

If someone doesn’t know, perhaps we don’t need them to express their lack of knowledge?

I think they were 18:1. What were the running qualities like?

4GB110A was the part no for the 1:1 transfer box

4GB112A was the part no for the 2:1 transfer box

4GB116A was the part no for the 40:1 Gearbox box 2mm Output Shaft

4GB126A was the part no for the 40:1 Gearbox box 1/8"   Output Shaft

4GB 126A-G-box.pdf

18:1 & 30:1 ratios were also available.

Sweet quiet worm & pinion runners.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I think they were 18:1. What were the running qualities like?

This is an area I have struggled with over the years, until used motor mounts of various makes and was not until I started using High Level boxes which worked straight away. I do have two or three gear boxes of various makes and see the benefits of better quality gearboxes/transmissions, certainly Exactoscale items seem to be in demand. Is this because of their rarity or quality?

Am I correct in thinking they also made flexible couplings between gearbox and motor

This is an area I have struggled with over the years, until used motor mounts of various makes and was not until I started using High Level boxes which worked straight away. I do have two or three gear boxes of various makes and see the benefits of better quality gearboxes/transmissions, certainly Exactoscale items seem to be in demand. Is this because of their rarity or quality?

Am I correct in thinking they also made flexible couplings between gearbox and motor

I think it best not to confuse the Exactoscale of Dr Bernard Weller and the Exactoscale of Andrew Jukes.

Exactoscale in the Weller & Cross era sold a flexible coupling featuring a neoprene tube. AFAIK, this product was dropped in the next incarnation of Exactoscale.

It was a ball and socket arrangement that fitted inside the neoprene tube. The b & s provided alignment, the flexible tube provided power transmission.

I don't think that all the original Exactoscale items changed hands. Some were frankly over complicated, the original "cam" operated turnout operating units being a good example. I think I've still got some examples of the early Exactoscale stuff, should anyone wish to start a Black Museum.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that all the original Exactoscale items changed hands. Some were frankly over complicated

I think this backfired on P4 and indeed “finescale” generally, leading to the idea that it wasn’t for anyone but a small group of dedicated obsessives, and creating accusations (justified or not) of elitism. As far as I can see, the Scalefour Society was created as much to redress that as over the strange setup of the original P4 Society.

Sadly, I think there is still some backwash over that, despite the peaceful merger of the P4S into S4MRS. Would love to see just one organisation for 4mm scale: after all, both S4Soc and EMGS constitutionally accept 00, EM and P4 modellers, and presumably those who model to different 4mm scale gauges, as well as other scales.

Edited by Regularity

both S4Soc and EMGS constitutionally accept 00, EM and P4 modellers, and presumably those who model to different 4mm scale gauges, as well as other scales anyone willing to pay their subs. 

Fixed it for you.

Since I joined the EMGS I certainly haven't been asked for evidence that I own a set of EM gauges (shh.. don't tell them, I think I might have a couple of 00 gauges somewhere too). 

• RMweb Gold

Fixed it for you.

Since I joined the EMGS I certainly haven't been asked for evidence that I own a set of EM gauges (shh.. don't tell them, I think I might have a couple of 00 gauges somewhere too).

;)

If only life were that simple...

Maybe they should stop squabbling over past differences (by “they”, I mean whoever it is that doesn’t want to merge - on either side) and create the “4mm Scale Association”, and define a range of standards for “Fine 00” (16.5mm scale with EM wheels and flanges?) EM and P4 (both already exist, but maybe just one set of EM standards?) and something to address the “009-ness” of much of 4mm scale narrow gauge?

Or maybe not...

Ho well. There’s always S: a Single Set of Model Railway Standards, regardless of gauge.

Unless you model US outline, where the gauge is the same, but not the wheel standards (on the models - prototypes are all but identical when you divide by 64).

Lartigue system, anyone?

• RMweb Gold

and define a range of standards for “Fine 00”

That already exists and all working just fine. It is only EM and P4 adherents who keep suggesting it doesn't. See:

http://4-sf.uk/dimensions.htm

http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/finescaletrack.htm

Nothing more is needed. It has all been discussed time and again on RMweb.

Sets of track gauge tools for both of these are available from C&L.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing more is needed.

Except for the three organisations to realise that there are maybe 2 too many, as they are all about modelling to the same scale? :)

Their “home pages” make for an interesting comparison over openness and acceptance of other standards. Mind you, one of them doesn’t even provide a link (or at least, and easy to find one) to its track and wheel standards!