Heljan announce GW Railcar, Class 56 and re-tooled Class 33 in O

Andy Y

Heljan LEADS THE WAY IN GAUGE ‘O’ WITH THREE EXCITING NEW PROJECTS

Support for British Gauge O modelling continues with an all-new Great Western Railway AEC Railcar, BR Class 56 heavy freight diesel and fully re-tooled BR Class 33 diesel offering new variants of this popular BRCW Type 3.

GWR AEC Railcar

No22 Didcot CREDIT BRIAN DANIELS.jpg

Image - Brian Daniels

To complement the growing selection of Heljan GWR/Western Region steam locomotives, we’re working on the first ever ready-to-run Gauge O model of the classic GWR AEC ‘razor edge’ railcar (Nos. 19-33). The perfect single vehicle branch line train for steam and transition era GWR/WR layouts, these pioneering vehicles were the predecessors of modern railcars and DMUs and retain a cult following decades later. The specification of the O gauge model will include:

• Fine detail inside and out, Discreet mechanism, LED lighting functions, Sprung buffers and couplings, Designed for easy DCC and sound installation, Interior lighting

PROPOSED LIVERIES

1900: GWR chocolate/cream (white roof and monogram)

1901: GWR chocolate/cream (dark grey roof and GWR coat of arms)

1902: BR crimson/cream (dark grey roof)

1903: BR crimson/cream (white cab roofs)

1904: BR green with speed whiskers (white cab roofs)

1905: BR green with speed whiskers (grey roof)

As well as the Gauge O model, we are working on an all-new version of the same railcar for OO gauge, further details of which will be announced at a later date. However, we expect it to have a similar specification and choice of liveries to its larger sister.

BR Class 56 Co-Co diesel

56133 Sunderland 20-3-88 CREDIT BRIAN DANIELS.jpeg

Image - Brian Daniels

In response to strong demand from the O gauge community, we are developing a model of the popular BR Class 56 heavy freight diesel, introduced in 1976. The Heljan model will be based on the later Doncaster and Crewe-built locomotives (56070-135), allowing a wide range of the most requested liveries to be offered. Specification will include:

• Fine detail, Twin motors for heavy haulage, LED lighting functions, See-through grilles, Sprung buffers and couplings, Designed for easy DCC and sound installation, Provision for smoke unit.

• Expected Release in 2020.

PROPOSED LIVERIES

5600: BR Blue

5601: BR Large Logo blue

5602: Railfreight large logo grey

5603: Railfreight ‘Red Stripe’ grey

5604: Railfreight sector three-tone grey (unbranded)

5605: Railfreight Coal sector grey

5606: Railfreight Construction sector grey

5607: Loadhaul black/orange

BRCW Type/Class 33 Bo-Bo diesel (Version 2/3)

Look out in 2019 for TEN new editions of our popular Gauge O Class 33, featuring updated and modified tooling to create both 1960s to 1980s and late BR/early privatisation era versions with high-intensity headlights and cab radio roof pods.

Expected Release: Early-2019. SRP: £549.00 each

cl33_v2_a.jpg

VERSION 2: 1960s to 1980s

3393: Original BR green

3394: BR Green with small yellow warning panels

3395: BR Green with full yellow ends

3396: BR Blue with full yellow ends

cl33_v3_a.jpg

VERSION 3: Late-1980s to 2000s

3400: BR Blue with full yellow ends

3401: BR Civil Engineers 'Dutch' grey/yellow

3402: EWS red/gold 33030

3403: Network SouthEast 33035

3404: DRS blue unnumbered

3405: Railfreight Construction sector grey

All versions are available to order now from your local Heljan stockist. All the above information about these projects is subject to change, but more details about the specification and pricing will be announced as the projects develop. Look out for updates on the Heljan Facebook page and in the model railway press.

Photographs courtesy of Brian Daniels

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

To complement the growing selection of Heljan GWR/Western Region steam locomotives, we’re working on the first ever ready-to-run Gauge O model of the classic GWR AEC ‘razor edge’ railcar (Nos. 19-33). The perfect single vehicle branch line train for steam and transition era GWR/WR layouts, these pioneering vehicles were the predecessors of modern railcars and DMUs and retain a cult following decades later. The specification of the O gauge model will include:

• Fine detail inside and out, Discreet mechanism, LED lighting functions, Sprung buffers and couplings, Designed for easy DCC and sound installation, Interior lighting

PROPOSED LIVERIES
1900: GWR chocolate/cream (white roof and monogram)
1901: GWR chocolate/cream (dark grey roof and GWR coat of arms)
1902: BR crimson/cream (dark grey roof)
1903: BR crimson/cream (white cab roofs)
1904: BR green with speed whiskers (white cab roofs)
1905: BR green with speed whiskers (grey roof)

As well as the Gauge O model, we are working on an all-new version of the same railcar for OO gauge, further details of which will be announced at a later date. However, we expect it to have a similar specification and choice of liveries to its larger sister.

Is that going to be a duplication of the Dapol OO model.

Edited by gwrrob

If Heljan think about the class 56 design of moulds now, could we see a Romanian cab design and later roof details in the future. I know the 60 didn’t do well for them but this is a real opportunity for them. There were perhaps four different cab shapes.

What shall we suggest next Ben seems to be listening. A new too, 47? I’ll give up on my Kestrel request if they keep turning out decent stuff. Looks like I’ll have to keep working and put more shelves up lol....

If Heljan think about the class 56 design of moulds now, could we see a Romanian cab design and later roof details in the future. I know the 60 didn’t do well for them but this is a real opportunity for them. There were perhaps four different cab shapes.

What shall we suggest next Ben seems to be listening. A new too, 47? I’ll give up on my Kestrel request if they keep turning out decent stuff. Looks like I’ll have to keep working and put more shelves up lol....

I think it makes more sense to go for the later style , there’s not any liveries they could do on a Romanian one that they couldn’t on a later ? I’m also unsure that the tiny modern modern image O gauge market could support such a minor variant .

If they sort the gears out, I could be well tempted by a 33 or 47 in future

I think it makes more sense to go for the later style , there’s not any liveries they could do on a Romanian one that they couldn’t on a later ? I’m also unsure that the tiny modern modern image O gauge market could support such a minor variant .

Agreed but I do like the quirky differences on the Romanian ones like the rubber sealed windows.

And the fact that they initially didn't work!

Paul R

Lol you’re not suggesting Heljan ones do the same are you. I did look at some pics of Romanian ones side by side and the cab roofs above the windows were all slightly different, no mass production there probably some poor kids hammering them out of sheet metal. In all seriousness I went on google earth to see if electroputere was still there and it is but it’s now a western style shopping complex. There were very few photos of them in Romania, a great subject for a book. So anyway Romanian 56’s have a place too I think, love those big circular buffers and wrinkled body skins.

But is a loco introduced in the mid-1970s modern modern image?

IMHO it is not even that modern if you really get down to it. And If to most 7mm modellers it is, then I'm afraid it only illustrates just how stuck in the past 7mm scale is. I suspect modern modern image might be defined as any diesel that was not in green livery or that initially worked alongside steam in revenue-earning service. If that is the case, then I fear for the longer-term future of O Gauge.

DJP

No - a duplication of the OO Lima / Hornby model.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It'd be nice to have a Heljan GWR Railcar in OO scale, their Railbuses and 128s have terrific mechanisms.  It might encourage Hornby to release their GWR Railcars as Railroad range items, like they did with the 121s.

I doubt the fact something is modern or not is the problem with O gauge diesels selling.

I would love some of these models but they are far too big for any O gauge model railway that I could ever build without a lottery win. Add any train that they would realistically pull. So I'm stuck with tank engines and small tender locomotives at most. All my O gauge is stored away as I don't have anywhere to use them.

The DRC is a different matter. I can see them selling very well.

As for the possibility of a 00 version. Yes please. Even though I've got an MTK kit somewhere....

Jason

I doubt the fact something is modern or not is the problem with O gauge diesels selling.

I would love some of these models but they are far too big for any O gauge model railway that I could ever build without a lottery win. Add any train that they would realistically pull. So I'm stuck with tank engines and small tender locomotives at most. All my O gauge is stored away as I don't have anywhere to use them.

The DRC is a different matter. I can see them selling very well.

As for the possibility of a 00 version. Yes please. Even though I've got an MTK kit somewhere....

Jason

Even the 10’ wall I have available for OO could support a 33 and a few 16 toners from a shunting plank. What puts me off is the level of detailing and weathering I’d have to achieve to make something look good in O.

But is a loco introduced in the mid-1970s modern modern image?

IMHO it is not even that modern if you really get down to it. And If to most 7mm modellers it is, then I'm afraid it only illustrates just how stuck in the past 7mm scale is. I suspect modern modern image might be defined as any diesel that was not in green livery or that initially worked alongside steam in revenue-earning service. If that is the case, then I fear for the longer-term future of O Gauge.

DJP[/quote

I think O gauge modern has a place, but I’m told the O gauge guild shows show the O gauge demographics are firmly older and steam

I’m slightly worried bu the assertion that the 60 didn’t sell well ( true ? Who knows ) as that spans 90s to current with as wider liveries as you could want.

And the failure of JLTRT tells us what ? I’m not certain , but that there is room for only one or two players in this area ?

I’m a sucker for the GW diesel railcars! Heljan clearly know my weak spot with 9 in the fleet already including a Westward Kit No 18 and a Westward Kit twin set. The OO versions will be hard to resist!

No1, a buffet car and No17 would complete all variants.

Oh dear, time to hide under a rock and chant incessantly. Better start saving instead as resistance will be futile!!!