Rapido UK operations

AMJ

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone remember the HotWheels toy cars that when you crashed them into things, a section rotated to make it look like a crashed car?  Well how about a peak that can change its appearance to the one damaged in the nuclear flask demo when rammed into an FNA.  I'd buy one!!

How about a Rubber body, inside its green, twist it and you get a blue one..

;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, if they wanted to do something that's definitely never been done before, but is a real production class rather than a one-off or experimental loco, then they could do the class 9000. Mind you, I doubt that's on anybody's wish list either :)

Edited by MarkSG

• RMweb Gold

Of course, if they wanted to do something that's definitely never been done before, but is a real production class rather than a one-off or experimental loco, then they could do the class 9000. Mind you, I doubt that;s on anybody's wish list either :)

For anyone head scratching, thats this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurotunnel_Class_9

It would be er different, controversial and, err.. well.. as useful to me as the Oxford Railgun.

• RMweb Premium

Were assuming its OO...

It could alway be N gauge, a class 17 would certainly turn heads.

If it did turn out to be N it would stop this thread dead in its tracks. 4mm rules the (UK) world, doesn't it?

David

Excellent point......which is why a decent 47 is needed despite the Heljan/Bachmann offerings which are both of a  sub optimal standard compared with what could be possible in 2019. A sealed beam 45 is well overdue and i think would sell well.

I suspect there is no such thing as a "dead cert" in any of the UK scales at this point.

But consider this.  A frequent argument against a new model is that "nobody will upgrade to the new model" because the old model is good enough.

So if the only way to sell a train model today is that it has to replace an existing model in someone's collection, then how are Bachmann, Hornby, etc surviving?  How are they announcing new runs of existing tooling if everybody already has all the models they need?

The answer of course is that the argument is nonsense.  Whether it is new people to the hobby, replacing broken models, change of focus, etc. people are still buying new models regardless of them being new tooling or reruns of existing tooling.

Which means there is opportunity for newly tooled models that are more accurate.

Unless I've missed something (quite likely!) - there doesn't seem to be an OO 03/04 readily available at present? The Bachmann ones seem to have all floated away and no sign of a resurgence? 

There was a Bachmann Class 03 retooled not so long ago. It might just be having a breather between batches. It'd be risky developing a new model of that when the Bachmann one is of a good standard and could appear again at any moment

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unless I've missed something (quite likely!) - there doesn't seem to be an OO 03/04 readily available at present? The Bachmann ones seem to have all floated away and no sign of a resurgence?

Theres a sound fitted 03 on its way in the current catalog. Edited by adb968008

If you are looking at diesel shunters then the open goal is the 02.

No kit currently available as both the DJH and Craftsman kits are discontinued.  Even so the DJH Barclay is now selling for about £200 and if they re-released the 02 then I would expect it to be a similar price.

Although they were a smallish class of 20, there was also 50 built for industry and loads of them are preserved including seven genuine BR ones. It also has the small and cute factor that seems to be popular at the moment.

Jason

The industrial 02s weren't quite the same as the BR 02s, though, so you'd need multiple variants of the model to be able to offer it in both BR and private owner liveries. Or, at least, you do if you want to offer the built-for-industry variant. Many of the BR 02s were sold to private owners after being withdrawn from BR service, so they could use the same base model.

I agree that the 02 would almost certainly be a good seller, if current fashions are anything to go by. You could use it in a transition-era industrial or dockside layout, mixing and matching with anything from a Peckett, a USA tank, or a J94 to other early diesel shunters, all of which are readily available. 

Whether it would be the sort of thing that Rapido would consider is a different question. If I was expecting any manufacturer to make one, it would be Heljan, or possibly a retailer commission. I have a feeling that Rapido may want something a bit more mainstream (or, rather, main line) for their first foray into the UK market in their own right.

... I have a feeling that Rapido may want something a bit more mainstream (or, rather, main line) for their first foray into the UK market in their own right.

Especially as they have now  undertaken several well received UK subject commissions, and have thereby got their name established with a fair proportion of their likely target market. They have enough presence or momentum - however you want to think of it - to float a flagship that says very clearly 'Here's what we can offer if you are prepared to put your hand in your pocket'.

If it were me, then the priorities would be main line subject with a less than stellar model at present, good range of liveries and distribution of locations about the UK, provides an opportunity to demonstrate that optimising the model's design for sound makes a noticeable difference.