A small fleet of Bedfords

Ian Morgan

• RMweb Premium

Its funny how easily you can get diverted from your main modelling goal by some interesting side line. I was recently given some 1950's/1960's photos of some vehicles operated by E. A. Hellmuths from their depot in Lambeth. They wore an attractive livery of yellow and black, and just cried out to be modelled, along with the depot which was partly under railway arches. I will have to see if I can get permission to show the photos here.

Inspired by the work of Grahame on these forums and in the N Gauge Journal, in modifying RTR N scale vehicles, I thought I should have a go.

The vehicles included Bedford O series, both rigid box bodied and articulated, and J series vans. There were also photos of CA vans, but I think they were from a different operator.

Anyway, searching the usual suspects for N scale source vehicles, I could only find the Bedford O as a pantechnican from Oxford Models, and the J as an ambulance, also from Oxford. CA vans only appear to be available as ice cream vans, from a couple of sources.

I already had an Oxford pantechnicans, so I dug it out from my box of vehicles along with a BT Models Albion truck that had a suitable looking box body. Both models are assembled using screws, so it was a simple matter to dismantle them without damage. The box body was an almost perfect fit, length-wise, for the Bedford chassis. The chassis just needed some cutting and filing, so this was done. The box body needed a little reprofiling of the roof with a file, and the addition of some upright framing on the lower section, using some fine plastic rod. Then it was ready for repainting. The pantechnican body was then mated with the Albion cab, so I still ended up with two lorries, which was a bonus.

starting_from_vehicles.jpg.57bc0df8cbc05e99e7a8a14439fcd48d.jpgbedford_truck_parts.jpg.4e0e78465c104b3d8d92b530470e96d7.jpg

marriage_of_convenience.jpg.095c79fa4c42e261a2590d67d7bf6c0c.jpg

initial_painting.jpg.53a626fdda3d8a9bb255b77ff19f2632.jpg

I ordered a couple more pantechnican and an ambulance. When these arrived, a second rigid box bodied truck was formed, but the second pantechnican was to become articulated. The cab portion of the Bedford chassis was glued to the rear half of a BT Models Karrier articulated tractor. I intend to form the trailer from an Oxford Models Scammel unit.

The ambulance was next for attention. The blue light was removed and the sign above the windscreen filed away. Milliput was used to fill the side windows and panel, and fill in the rear wheel arches.

the_fleet_progressing.jpg.3779661c2237805af4d14f7de0ddf979.jpg

Using Tamiya yellow acrylic paint is requiring 3 or 4 coats to cover properly, but they will soon be ready for applying decals. All the signwriting on these vehicles was in black, so I will be printing my own decals on clear decal sheet using my monochrome laser printer, I hope.

More to follow, if all goes well.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 9

Nice projects Ian, a good illustration of how a little imagination and skill applied to readily available material can produce something attractively different. I look forward to seeing the end result - well done.

• RMweb Premium

After much filling, filing and painting, the fleet is almost ready for applying transfers (decals), when I have made them.

30629846368_70076ae1ba_o.jpg.5d09281ff942973da4bd7ea65575f8fc.jpg

Any guesses as to the branding that will be applied?

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So, nobody wanted to try a guess.

Here they are, transfers added. Fortunately, only black printing was required as I only have a monochrome laser printer. It is supposed to be 600dpi, but I think I need to find some better drivers as some of the attempts were a little 'spotty'. Still, I was quite pleased with the final results.

43648112185_396f63c2e9_o.jpg.7c036205fa38da407d66fe84153e826a.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 4

So, nobody wanted to try a guess.

Here they are, transfers added. Fortunately, only black printing was required as I only have a monochrome laser printer. It is supposed to be 600dpi, but I think I need to find some better drivers as some of the attempts were a little 'spotty'. Still, I was quite pleased with the final results.

attachicon.gif43648112185_396f63c2e9_o.jpg

Really nice job on the fleet!!

Never had the pleasure of driving an O Class.

The J however. If, as a teenager in the 70s, you had aspirations for a cool truck, then the J was your beast!

The petrol engined pickup had step sides and the fantastic Vauxhall 6 cylinder engine! It sounded FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

I drove one that a workmate of mine was restoring about 25 years ago. That project failed but the experience was well worth it!!!

Hollands, the Manchester pie people had a fleet of the long wheelbase, twin wheeled back axle variant vans. Always immaculate!!

I really lusted after one of those!!!!

Love to know wether any were preserved. Not sexy enough I suppose!!

Chris.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/09/2018 at 07:48, Robert Searle said:

Yes Bedfords were the main force in the newspaper/magazine industry for many years.

Platform 11, Manchester Victoria/Exchange on a winter's evening. The long newspaper train would be sitting there.
Next minute large numbers of small bedfords would come roaring up and back up to the platform to offload the newly printed papers . Mayhem for about half an hour.
The same thing happened on Exchange station, the wagons would come up the wagon road onto the platform, where the newspaper train would be waiting.