Hornby Updated Mk.3 Coaches (2018 onwards)

MGR Hooper!

It has been known for some time now that Hornby were updating their current Mk.3 coaches with NEM couplings. On a certain social media platform when asked, Hornby said that there are a few other minor upgrades (which are unknown).

The first batch of Mk.3 coaches has arrived and Rails of Sheffield has them in stock. They do indeed have NEM coupling pockets and straight out of the box it has the European style HO scale couplings.

I am assuming that regular narrow tension locks are included in the box and hopefully someone can confirm this?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/34909/Hornby-r4855-oo-gauge-virgin-trains-mk3-buffet-trfb-10235

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/34912/Hornby-r4858a-oo-gauge-virgin-trains-mk3-trailer-standard-open-tso-12045

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35940/Hornby-r4858b-oo-gauge-virgin-mk3-trailer-standard-open-tso-12087

More information when available can be shared here.

• Like 1

Looking at the close-up, to my eye it's hard to imagine these coaches being able to navigate a turn safely... though I would be happy to be proved wrong!

Can't see why not - in effect the former Airfix/Dapol style coupler pocket has been replaced with a NEM one at pretty much the same position.

A pronounced unsightly 'bow' to the body of the adapted Limby RFM.

Have a look at the Rails of Sheffield picture and hold a ruler/straight edge to the computer screen and you will see what I mean.

Previous releases of the RFM (Including the weathered de-branded Virgin one) didn't have the bow so why this release?

Has it got anything to do with the curing process of the plastic once out of the mould?

Rather disappointed that I've bought this one now.

I would like to know if the Hornby tooling FO and TSO are similarly affected.

A pronounced unsightly 'bow' to the body of the adapted Limby RFM.

Have a look at the Rails of Sheffield picture and hold a ruler/straight edge to the computer screen and you will see what I mean.

Previous releases of the RFM (Including the weathered de-branded Virgin one) didn't have the bow so why this release?

There's something off about the perspective in that first image which I can't quite put my finger on (fisheye distortion?) so I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the actual model.

Edited by frobisher

Looking at the close-up, to my eye it's hard to imagine these coaches being able to navigate a turn safely... though I would be happy to be proved wrong!

r4858aIMG_6580.jpg?preset=large

that is a lovely level of tint and a great close up photo.  the coupler look like it would be very close I agree its likely to cause a problem as these are not like the Bachmann coaches with a sprung cam arrangement.   

that is a lovely level of tint and a great close up photo. the coupler look like it would be very close I agree its likely to cause a problem as these are not like the Bachmann coaches with a sprung cam arrangement.

Tested ours in the shop today and they went round a 180 degree 2nd radius curve and no issues.

Tested ours in the shop today and they went round a 180 degree 2nd radius curve and no issues.

Can you tell us if the coaches cone with regular NEM tension locks? Or is it just the HO scale European couplers?

I wonder why Hornby chose those couplings? Maybe they'll provide two types of couplings for all their products (with NEM couplings) henceforth

Can you tell us if the coaches cone with regular NEM tension locks? Or is it just the HO scale European couplers?

I wonder why Hornby chose those couplings? Maybe they'll provide two types of couplings for all their products (with NEM couplings) henceforth

Hi. In a sealed detailing pack there are two medium NEM couplings and extra buffers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. They are tension lock.

Actually,those are Roco style from the 1980's which operate similarly to our tension lock couplings.Tension lock "but not as we know it"....and looks to be a distinct improvement too.Both closer and less obtrusive .I think your excellent images ably demonstrate that.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC_1235.JPG

Our second batch of virgin Mk3s arrived this morning so I took a picture of the couplings on 2nd radius curves. As you can see there's enough of a gap to get round them. I also tried my kadee 19s and they worked fine too. Hope this helps.

Like the Austerity on a Low-loader in the background  :jester:  :jester: