How the Hogwarts Express was saved from a Welsh scrapyard

Hroth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45303331

BBC web article describing the progress of "a lowly engine" from the scrapyard to "star of the Harry Potter films".

(Pause to wash mouth and brain out)

Its a pity Warner chose a decent loco. Why didn't they go for an LMS one?  A Black 5 in red would have been a bit more in keeping!

And the there's this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-45359275

At least on the web site they state that the train everyone comes to see is actually the Jacobite, and they enclose "Hogwarts Express" in quotation marks to try to make the point.  On the TV news last night the reporter speaking to camera simply said that "The Hogwarts Express won't be back for another four hours!" with a big grin on her face.  I don't mind so much the tourists being daft (although the inconsiderate parking and trespassing on the line is clearly reprehensible) but I do think that the Beeb could at least try to maintain a semblance of accuracy.  She could just have said "The steam train" rather than "The Hogwart's Express".

And don't get me started on massive queue at King's Cross for people to have their photos taken standing by a luggage trolley embedded in a wall.  Anyone know who pays for the stewards who monitor the queue?

• RMweb Gold

And don't get me started on massive queue at King's Cross for people to have their photos taken standing by a luggage trolley embedded in a wall.  Anyone know who pays for the stewards who monitor the queue?

I was under the impression there was a charge of some sort for pictures.

Could well be wrong as usual.

• RMweb Gold

I cannot answer your question, but in an era of overcrowded trains, sky-high fares and general grumpiness about railways, I think any goodwill generated is a Good Thing. Platform nine-and-three-quarters has moved several times, I think, to accommodate the station rebuilding, but KX has kept faith with the fans, many of whom seem to be from Japan. In my brief time working with the team reconstructing the place, the then-SM wrote to JK Rowling, and received a hand-written reply which I saw and photo-copied. The writer has good reason to hold affection for the station, and the innocent pleasure of her readers is in some contrast to more cynical commercial entrapments these days.

• Like 3

It’s all innocent fun. No engines were permanently scarred in life he making of this film.

No, but a Hall in a red livery, with the wrong class nameplates scars my mind.....

Its a pity Rowling got her engine colours wrong.  If she had gone next door to St Pancras, she could have had as many red engines as she liked, or a modicum of research would have told her that Kings Cross had green engines.

As for innocent fun, when was "innocence" part of IP rights or in the mindset of marketing slugs?

But no. Take an engine that is naturally green and tart it up in red. Good enough for the film world.  :senile:

The filmmakers originally chose Taw Valley and had her painted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33245686@N08/3937210715

JK Rowling said it looked ‘too modern’ and had Hall repainted.

It has also turned out to be quite a good money generator for West Coast Railways, both through the huge popularity of Jacobite Trains and through leasing Oulton Hall to Warner Bros (for what I imagine is a fair amount of money yearly)

Re Kings Cross:

Rowling has also said she was thinking of Euston when she wrote the book and the idea of a train to Hogwarts first came from a Caledonian Sleeper to Edinburgh.

Edited by cal.n

No, but a Hall in a red livery, with the wrong class nameplates scars my mind.....

Its a pity Rowling got her engine colours wrong.  If she had gone next door to St Pancras, she could have had as many red engines as she liked, or a modicum of research would have told her that Kings Cross had green engines.

As for innocent fun, when was "innocence" part of IP rights or in the mindset of marketing slugs?

But no. Take an engine that is naturally green and tart it up in red. Good enough for the film world.  :senile:

Per cal.n, I fully agree that she's confused Euston and Kings Cross. The description of Harry pushing his trolley at the ticket office on the barrier, unable to stop as he gets faster (as you would on the slope down from the Euston ticket hall) is definitely Euston.

Obviously Euston would have red locos as well! Perhaps the NRM missed a trick in not suggesting a red streamlined Duchess of Hamilton as the Loco. PLus they could have tried to get the film makers to pay for a rake of matching stock.

David

• Like 1