New AEC GW railcar in 00

locoholic

• RMweb Gold

There are instances in this working from the 1952 Worcester district carriage notices

536538008_LS-SoARailcars1952.JPG.ba3f97d7e0de96018bf64f65f0732292.JPG

There was still a through coach from Paddington to Stratford which was put onto a single car at Leamington in 1960, but it was probably a Class 122 by then.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine arrived from Kernow today. On first impressions it's a stunning model, good weight, impressive detail and a good livery application. 

Currently running in on DC on a rolling road it seems pretty smooth, top headlight seems a bit dim but arguably that is more prototypical! 

Pictures posed on the layout and with lights on the rolling road below.

20210716_151517.jpg

20210716_150807.jpg

20210716_150745.jpg

• Like 7

Running in the BR green version. Lovely detail. Nice to see the switchable light functions for dc users, all in one bank of nine switches. One of the bogies is swimming in oil, have cleaned the base plate three times so far. I did struggle to get the model out of its packaging. The clear clam shell and wrap was so tight in the cardboard box it was a real struggle. This was caused by the dense white foam inserts, put in the clam shell top and bottom, presumably designed to prevent movement of the loco while in transit, to avoid parts coming off. It seems to work, but it does push the outer wrap outwards causing the tight fit. I'll remove the foam once I'm happy with the running.

Edited by rembrow
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have a crimson and cream and a green one. Both ran well on an initial test and they look good apart from possibly the cream being too yellowish - more butter than cream. The lights are rather bright. Otherwise they seem to be excellent models. 

Looking forward to more DMUs from Heljan.

1 hour ago, TerryBewdley said:

Are there interior lights in this model?

They are switchable. There is a bank of 9 light switches on the underside of the chassis, very easily accessible. Switches 7,8 and 9 are for the cabs and interior lights. The model comes with all set to 'on'

Mine arrived today. Its a lovely model and I note in the instructions, the DCC functions have been geared up to use an ESU loksound V5 decoder. It also advises if a different decoder is used then the functions may have to be re mapped to make them work. What is really irritating is the fact there is nothing in the instructions telling you which function switches which light on even for the ESU decoder. I want to fit a standard (non sound) decoder in it but I also want to know that all the functions will work. I have temporarily fitted a cheapo Laisdcc decoder with a stay alive capacitor in it as that is all I have spare at the moment but as I don't know which function does what with the ESU decoder I've no idea if  can re map any on the temporary laisdcc one. 

• RMweb Gold

According to the instructions that came with my model, the DCC lighting functions also work automatically with an ESU LokPilot V5, the much cheaper non-sound equivalent to the LokSound. As metadyneman doesn't want sound anyway, that might work well for him.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2021 at 15:03, metadyneman said:

Mine arrived today. Its a lovely model and I note in the instructions, the DCC functions have been geared up to use an ESU loksound V5 decoder. It also advises if a different decoder is used then the functions may have to be re mapped to make them work. What is really irritating is the fact there is nothing in the instructions telling you which function switches which light on even for the ESU decoder. I want to fit a standard (non sound) decoder in it but I also want to know that all the functions will work. I have temporarily fitted a cheapo Laisdcc decoder with a stay alive capacitor in it as that is all I have spare at the moment but as I don't know which function does what with the ESU decoder I've no idea if  can re map any on the temporary laisdcc one. 

Oh thats going to be annoying.... I don't intend to fit an ESU decoder, but want to know that all the functions will still work.

Mine is waiting for me at our local post room, I need to collect it tomorrow. Excellent service from Hattons / DHL, only delayed 1 day at customs,

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Oh thats going to be annoying.... I don't intend to fit an ESU decoder, but want to know that all the functions will still work.

The answer seems to be, judging from the Youchoos link, is that some won't, unless you are willing to rewire your model or wait a few months for a compatible non-ESU decoder to become available.

Another foot added to my DCC bargepole.....

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The answer seems to be, judging from the Youchoos link, is that some won't, unless you are willing to rewire your model or wait a few months for a compatible non-ESU decoder to become available.

Another foot added to my DCC bargepole.....

Interesting, although YouChoos are talking about the 0 gauge version, rather than 00.

I was going to wait for it to arrive before settling on which decoder to use. Hopeing that Youchoos had put instructions on their webpage in the meantime!

On 20/07/2021 at 06:44, Andy W said:

According to the instructions that came with my model, the DCC lighting functions also work automatically with an ESU LokPilot V5, the much cheaper non-sound equivalent to the LokSound. As metadyneman doesn't want sound anyway, that might work well for him.

Having consulted with Richard Croft regarding this, there appears to be a general shortage of ESU decoders at the moment so in a very swift moment of decision whilst conversing with him, I persuaded myself to purchase the Loksound V5 decoder from Roads & Rails and installed it yesterday. All the functions now work and i can now annoy my neighbours with some lovely railbus sounds going round the garden :D.

On another point though.. it does seem a little bit naughty that the model is only geared up to work with one manufacturers decoder without modifying and re-mapping the functions. Not all of us are DCC experts and re-mapping isn't something I have ever attempted and quite honestly I don't really want to when buying decoders for a new model!

• Agree 3

I too am struggling to get everything to work, this time using a Zimo MX638. 

In the mean time I note the lack of a fitted carden/prop shaft which should run from the gearbox final drive to the bogie drive.  I further note 2 off of what appear to be suitable shafts in the detail pack with the couplings.  However the bogie model differential has no hole to accept it but would appear to have had something broken off where the carden shaft should be connected.

Is it reasonable that this is correct and I should drill the bogie or is there some other explanation?

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2021 at 10:13, metadyneman said:

Having consulted with Richard Croft regarding this, there appears to be a general shortage of ESU decoders at the moment so in a very swift moment of decision whilst conversing with him, I persuaded myself to purchase the Loksound V5 decoder from Roads & Rails and installed it yesterday. All the functions now work and i can now annoy my neighbours with some lovely railbus sounds going round the garden :D.

On another point though.. it does seem a little bit naughty that the model is only geared up to work with one manufacturers decoder without modifying and re-mapping the functions. Not all of us are DCC experts and re-mapping isn't something I have ever attempted and quite honestly I don't really want to when buying decoders for a new model!

I've only ever dabbled round the outer edges of DCC and long ago decided it's a level of expenditure and complication that wouldn't appreciably add to my enjoyment of the hobby as I presently partake of it.

However, if I'm reading this correctly,

1. The Heljan railcar will only work fully with one make/model of decoder unless one is willing and able to play around with the tech. 

2. All  other available decoders using the chosen interface, as bought, deliver one fewer function than Heljan has incorporated into the model.

3. Another maker allegedly has a suitable equivalent under development but its not ready yet.

I'm unclear how Heljan specifying the only currently available component that actually makes everything on the model work as intended (for those who can't/don't want to mess with it) qualifies as "naughty".....

John

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

I too am struggling to get everything to work, this time using a Zimo MX638. 

In the mean time I note the lack of a fitted carden/prop shaft which should run from the gearbox final drive to the bogie drive.  I further note 2 off of what appear to be suitable shafts in the detail pack with the couplings.  However the bogie model differential has no hole to accept it but would appear to have had something broken off where the carden shaft should be connected.

Is it reasonable that this is correct and I should drill the bogie or is there some other explanation?

Have you got one or no carden shafts. The model I have is fitted with two shafts, one for each bogie. They are visible underneath the model, as they are in the open and run from the central box in the underfloor, where the motor and gears must be, out to the bogie.

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Have you got one or no carden shafts. The model I have is fitted with two shafts, one for each bogie. They are visible underneath the model, as they are in the open and run from the central box in the underfloor, where the motor and gears must be, out to the bogie.

I think that the cardin shafts referred to are the cosmetic ones - not the functional ones.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've only ever dabbled round the outer edges of DCC and long ago decided it's a level of expenditure and complication that wouldn't appreciably add to my enjoyment of the hobby as I presently partake of it.

However, if I'm reading this correctly,

1. The Heljan railcar will only work fully with one make/model of decoder unless one is willing and able to play around with the tech. 

2. All  other available decoders using the chosen interface, as bought, deliver one fewer function than Heljan has incorporated into the model.

3. Another maker allegedly has a suitable equivalent under development but its not ready yet.

I'm unclear how Heljan specifying the only currently available component that actually makes everything on the model work as intended (for those who can't/don't want to mess with it) qualifies as "naughty".....

John

It’s a question of choice.

I choose not to use ESU and decided a while ago to stick with Zimo unless something better comes along.

By using Zimo, I need to unsolder the current PCB and solder a new one in. I shouldn’t have to do that to get all the functions. 

Clearly that is a decision Heljan made to specify only ESU, it’s not life shattering, just inconvenient. I also understand the right ESU decoder is in short supply in the UK.

Maybe Ben Jones @61661 would like to share Heljan thinking on this.

• Informative/Useful 1