New AEC GW railcar in 00

locoholic

29 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I think that the cardin shafts referred to are the cosmetic ones - not the functional ones.

CJI.

Ah, my misunderstanding. It looks like the cosmetic final drive and shaft is composed of two moulded pieces. There is a subframe that attaches to the bogie side and the final drive/shaft assembly is separate from the subframe. I don't know how they are fitted, but assume they plug into each other and the bogie frame. Interesting you say there are two shafts in the detail pack with the couplings. My BR green version only has the couplings in the detail pack. It looks like with yours, the shaft assemblies broke off before getting to you and were packed into the detail pack.

37 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Ah, my misunderstanding. It looks like the cosmetic final drive and shaft is composed of two moulded pieces. There is a subframe that attaches to the bogie side and the final drive/shaft assembly is separate from the subframe. I don't know how they are fitted, but assume they plug into each other and the bogie frame. Interesting you say there are two shafts in the detail pack with the couplings. My BR green version only has the couplings in the detail pack. It looks like with yours, the shaft assemblies broke off before getting to you and were packed into the detail pack.

In BR days, the shafts connecting the outer axles to the inner axles were removed.

CJI.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

It’s a question of choice.

I choose not to use ESU and decided a while ago to stick with Zimo unless something better comes along.

By using Zimo, I need to unsolder the current PCB and solder a new one in. I shouldn’t have to do that to get all the functions. 

Clearly that is a decision Heljan made to specify only ESU, it’s not life shattering, just inconvenient. I also understand the right ESU decoder is in short supply in the UK.

Maybe Ben Jones @61661 would like to share Heljan thinking on this.

What is 'The Right' ESU decoder for this please.

Charlie

16 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

lokpilot V5 21 pin decoder 59629.  See my email above re Digitrains.  5 in stock as I type.

DCKits-Legomanbiffo have these available too, 9 in stock as of today.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=473&search=ESU+59629

Plus the Sound decoders too.

Not much of a shortage me thinks !!

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 2

Thanks for the help. I've got the body off at last, it's a tight fit.  Step 2 of the instructions does say there are 4 clips(2 each side) which isn't very helpful!

Thanks for the link for the decoder. DCKits-Legomanbiffo have one less in stock now!

1 hour ago, colin55 said:

Thanks for the help. I've got the body off at last, it's a tight fit.  Step 2 of the instructions does say there are 4 clips(2 each side) which isn't very helpful!

Thanks for the link for the decoder. DCKits-Legomanbiffo have one less in stock now!

Glad to help.    Charlie

On 24/07/2021 at 09:48, Neal Ball said:

It’s a question of choice.

I choose not to use ESU and decided a while ago to stick with Zimo unless something better comes along.

By using Zimo, I need to unsolder the current PCB and solder a new one in. I shouldn’t have to do that to get all the functions. 

Clearly that is a decision Heljan made to specify only ESU, it’s not life shattering, just inconvenient. I also understand the right ESU decoder is in short supply in the UK.

Maybe Ben Jones @61661 would like to share Heljan thinking on this.

Thanks for the query. I should admit from the outset that I'm far from being a DCC expert - I rely on Heljan's Danish expert for technical advice and specifications. Here's what I know. 

Because they have more than the usual number of lighting functions, the GWR Railcars were designed to take an ESU decoder and the lighting functions are configured on that basis. Of course it is possible to use other brands of 21-pin decoders but the functions need to be remapped. In an ideal world we would have included instructions for that procedure but as each brand and control system is different, there are potentially 100s of combinations of instructions.  

With so many lighting functions it was impossible to devise a solution that worked with all decoders, so we chose the most commonly used brand (certainly for DCC sound) and matched the function to theirs. It's not ideal for everyone, but it is probably the most practical solution in the circumstances. The O gauge Railcars released earlier this year have exactly the same lighting functions, 21-pin interface and electronics, but we haven't received any queries about those so far! Make of that what you will.  

We recommend that anyone who chooses to fit a non-ESU decoder and does not know how to remap the functions themselves should contact a professional DCC fitting provider.

At the time the models were designed, there were no supply issues on ESU decoders. However, getting into the reasons behind that would start a very different argument and I think we've all had enough of that already!  

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 61661 said:

Thanks for the query. I should admit from the outset that I'm far from being a DCC expert - I rely on Heljan's Danish expert for technical advice and specifications. Here's what I know. 

Because they have more than the usual number of lighting functions, the GWR Railcars were designed to take an ESU decoder and the lighting functions are configured on that basis. Of course it is possible to use other brands of 21-pin decoders but the functions need to be remapped. In an ideal world we would have included instructions for that procedure but as each brand and control system is different, there are potentially 100s of combinations of instructions.  

With so many lighting functions it was impossible to devise a solution that worked with all decoders, so we chose the most commonly used brand (certainly for DCC sound) and matched the function to theirs. It's not ideal for everyone, but it is probably the most practical solution in the circumstances. The O gauge Railcars released earlier this year have exactly the same lighting functions, 21-pin interface and electronics, but we haven't received any queries about those so far! Make of that what you will.  

We recommend that anyone who chooses to fit a non-ESU decoder and does not know how to remap the functions themselves should contact a professional DCC fitting provider.

At the time the models were designed, there were no supply issues on ESU decoders. However, getting into the reasons behind that would start a very different argument and I think we've all had enough of that already!  

Hope this helps

Ben

Thanks Ben.

The decoder I fitted as a temporary measure into the railcar was a Bachmann decoder (soundTraxx MC1) 36-557 and it only allowed the headlights to be switched on.

I intend to fit a Zimo with YouChoos sounds so will wait until that arrives to see how I get on.

I'm confused!  I've fitted a lokpilot V5 21 pin decoder 59629 and still can't get any lights other than the low headlights to work. I use DecoderPro and this shows the Function Map is blank.  This is no different to the Dapol decoder I first tried in it.

• RMweb Premium
On 27/07/2021 at 20:20, colin55 said:

I'm confused!  I've fitted a lokpilot V5 21 pin decoder 59629 and still can't get any lights other than the low headlights to work. I use DecoderPro and this shows the Function Map is blank.  This is no different to the Dapol decoder I first tried in it.

Is there anything in the Lokpilot user manual about remapping?

Alternatively, try asking the retailer you bought the decoder from.

Failing that, try a general question in the DCC questions page on here.

Good luck

Thanks for the help. It is working as it should. The confusing thing is that only three functions are showing on the Engine Driver app which I usually use on my phone, All the functions show up on the DecoderPro Throttle when I bring that up on the laptop. 

• RMweb Premium

I have fitted an ESU sound decoder to my rail car but can only operate a few of the various light options on the rail car, the lights work on non sound ESU decoder. 

I have tried using the higher f numbers on the nice controller but no success. Any ideas anyone?

Terry

The ESU Distributor (South West Digital) is awaiting more Non Sound Lok Pilots to arrive,

not quite sure when though!!

But the 'GOOD NEWS' is we have plenty available, pre programmed from stock of both LokSound and the hard to get Lok Pilot 21Pin Non Sound decoders. To order see:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=1957

Have Fun.    Charlie

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 19:20, colin55 said:

The Un-programmed decoders (59629) will work as below:

F0  Front Lights (Directional)

F1  Top Light Front (Brake Van Cab)

F2  Top Light Front (Non Brake Cab)

F3  Not Used

F4  Not Used

F5  Red Light (Brake End

F6  Red Light (Non Brake End)

F7  Cab Light Front (Brake Cab)

F8  Cab Light Front (Non Brake Cab)

F9  Passenger Lights

The are available programmed or Un-Programmed from DC Kits in Leeds.

I have sent a PM to you re this.   Charlie

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

i picked up a railcar from hattons preowned for £110 because it had a broken boggie mount, i fixed it enough so it runs, two questions if i may

1: are there any spares for the railcar yet?

2: i've read about the decoder and functions etc, the only function that is not working is the interior lights (work on dc), if i want to remap another 6 function decoder for the passenger lights to work, what cv am i mapping to any given F number, or Would i need to map a particular cv to f9 or particular function  to f9?

sorry if they are both daft questions but remapping functions is a dark art to me.

thanks in advance :)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kaput said:

The specific CV's for function mapping depend entirely on which decoder you use.

the bit i'm missing is what am i setting a particular cv to, would it be to function 6 or F9 for example?

• RMweb Gold

That's the point, it depends on the decoder but generally speaking its not that simple.

The interior lights are on physical function AUX7 on the Railcar.

If you want all the lights to work as advertised and don't want sound I'd honestly suggest save your sanity and buy a pre programmed LokPilot from DC Kits.

• Agree 1