New AEC GW railcar in 00

locoholic

On 21/10/2021 at 15:12, amdaley said:

Unfortunately my replacement railcar from Hattons never arrived.

Hattons no longer have my model in stock so I'm now going through the refund process.

Pity as I already have a Sound decoder waiting here for it :(

Once I get my refund I may be able to get one elsewhere.

Update on this saga.

It arrived eventually with the outer packaging battered & bruised.

Fortunately the model was ok in its box.

Only took a month to arrive :rolleyes:

Fitted a sound decoder from Roads & Rails.

Excellent runner & very smooth.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2021 at 10:41, Ian Hargrave said:

Looks good in GWR livery. Not keen on BR(W) crimson & cream though. ATM not keen on the price & thus not in the market. Like my Dapol “banana” despite the criticism attached to it.Don’t normally quibble over cost .Seeing it in a proper ANTB landscape helps.

Here it is again, now with a proper coloured grey roof and insignia. Weathered by @toboldlygo of this parish.

DSCN8460.JPG.c8133fb533248769be811ab9f4f37a17.JPG

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Like 16

• 5 months later...

Got mine today from TMC, last W22 in the shop .  Unpacked it to find two droopy bogies - pivots u/s, in fact they don’t appear to have been fitted, certainly no pieces in the packaging.

I will be phoning them Monday morning. In future I shall request retailers to test the loco first (as Northampton Models did with an H class after I had to request a different retailer to replace a different example previously).

Shame, but these things do happen, unfortunately and with greater frequency nowadays.

Edited by Chuffed 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...

I noticed this Heljan post on facebook today and I think the colour of the lining (and whiskers and numbers) looks very wrong and really spoils it. It's way too yellow - it should be on the whiter side of cream. Not that I'm old enough to remember these but I found plenty of colour images on the colour rail website (in both shades of green) to confirm it. There are even two of this very vehicle in this shade of green (image refs. 213055 and 213056 - I cannot figure out how to do a direct link).

Looking more closely at the CR image it also shows that on the model:

• the BR emblem is in the wrong place (it should be one window along towards the non-van end)
  • the number is in the wrong place (it should be under the van window to the left)
  • the spacing of the Ws on both side of the number was very distinct on these vehicles but not on the model

It's very frustrating that so much effort is put into detailing by the manufacturers but they are let down by the finish, especially when the the picture of the original vehicle was so easy to find!

Heljan.JPG

Edited by SC55015
typo

• 5 months later...

I have recently purchased an AEC railcar and noting the issues with DCC decided to install a Road & Rails Lokosound 5 decoder. Decoder works all functions but no sound. I returned the decoder thinking it was faulty and Richard kindly sreplaced it. Second decoder does the same. Tried decoder in another 21 pin loco and sound works fine. Is there a problem on the Heljan PCB? Hs anyone had anything similar happen. Unit works fine and light functions all work so for some reason the sound function of the decoder is not working when installed in the railcar. Any thoughts??

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

So is the biggest thing 'wrong' with this model is that the shape isn't quite right vs the Dapol one?

Being they are models of two completely different railcars thats a bit of an odd comparison.

• Agree 1