New AEC GW railcar in 00

locoholic

I guess they are only doing an 00 one as they are making an 0 gauge one anyway...? As already suggested there are thousands of Lima and the better running Hornby ones around. Better perhaps to make a double car or even better something else! We all have our wish list for new RTR (Aberdare anyone?!), but I'd be surprised to see an AEC railcard on one...

Every year the angular GWR DRC is near the top of the wishlist polls.

202 votes according to the latest version, the same as those wanting APTs.

At least 20 more than an Aberdare and a similar amount to models already announced such as the J70, G5 and 16XX.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116458-results-the-wishlist-poll-2016/

The demand is there. Especially if you delete all the models that have been made or announced since.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

I, in no way, meant to accuse Hornby of complacency across the board, but their long-standing (evident) reluctance to do anything significant with inherited tooling that is basically very good, but for relatively minor and solvable shortcomings has always puzzled me...

John, the problem as it was decribed to me is the disproportionate costs involved in tooling modifications to inherited existing injection moulds. The shortcomings of the existing decent model are solvable, but making those fixes is a version of  'if you want to travel there, it is better not to start from here'. There are probably no drawings for the old tooling showing the intended dimensions, let alone any CAD to enable numerically controlled machine modifications to the tooling. Quite possibly you need to measure not just the tooling for the modifications, but also the prototype and then make allowances for the errors in the existing tooling in decisions to implement the modifications. This will quickly add up to either stick with the old tooling for so long as viable, making only truly essential small cost modifications; or start completely anew.

The item I know best in this category is the ex Airfix GMR tooling of the 'Big Metropolitan' tank or N2. It is a decent model that well represents this rugged old lump so familiar in the KX suburban area  but when measured up carefully is found to have some real deviations from quoted dimensions. But it 'passes' so what justification for change? Likewise the plastic moulded chassis is near dead right and there was ample space to replace the large, crude, but effective Airfix motor with Hornby's more refined black can - regretably slightly on view - so the decision to just make a simple change to the motor mounting but otherwise  'leave as found' is comprehensible, if somewhat unfortunate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's an article (by Monty Wells, inevitably) in an early MRJ explaining what's needed. The result was pretty good.

I have a copy of that, although an alternative now is to use the etched scratch building aid from Worsley Works as a source of etched sides, along with the lima cab front / roof.  At least that its the method I was contemplating.

Of course neither are particularly useful to Brent, but I will eventually return to the Cheddar Valley.....

• RMweb Gold

Tempted to use the Hornby example to create the GWR Twin Railcar set... :)

Join the club - but it might be a while before too many "Limby" "razor edge" railcars get that special razor saw treatment - due to the small matter of waiting for suitable "patients" at the sort of prices a lot of people like paying.

Personally, I suspect this might be most likely to happen if / when the old ones reappear in "RailRoad" trim. Either the RailRoad ones would appear at relatively affordable prices, or some people would be looking to offload their older "Limby" examples secondhand, to go towards the price of the new Heljans.

There's an article (by Monty Wells, inevitably) in an early MRJ explaining what's needed. The result was pretty good.

I wonder if MRJ might be planning on running this account again - in a future issue - or in a "best of MRJ" style compendium.

Does anyone here have their email address - as I suspect that a number of people here could potentially be interested in such a development.

I have a copy of that, although an alternative now is to use the etched scratch building aid from Worsley Works as a source of etched sides, along with the lima cab front / roof.  At least that its the method I was contemplating.

That's also a thought - which would appeal to some people.

Personally, I suspect I'd be more likely to opt for the "Limby / RailRoad + plastikard" option - mainly because I'm more used to working with stuff like this.

Whichever option I (or anyone else) were actually to go for, I suspect there might be significant work with the windows on these models (even if sticking with single car variants) - dealing with the deeply recessed glazing - dealing with the sliding "lights" in the cabs - I'm also unsure whether the windows on the guard's doors are actually on the correct "sides" with the "Limby" bodyshells.

Of course, none of this stuff should be insuperable for any modeller determined to get things right - and there are probably a number of viable options for how to sort these issues out.

Anyway, this all adds to the fun of modelmaking.

Huw.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

**GWR Railcar Update**
CAD work has been completed on our OO gauge GWR AEC Railcar, which is due to be released after our O gauge model in 2020. Tooling work is now underway on both GWR and BR versions with prototypical detail differences and lighting functions, 21-pin DCC interface and a fully detailed interior. A centrally-mounted, low profile motor under the floor will drive both bogies. Look out for more information and images here as the project progresses.

51100887_2272928459436674_16381133987113

51581911_2272928479436672_76167875893363

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't know if these have slipped under the radar a bit, they certainly have eluded mine so far. Anyhow the samples shown in the HM video with Ben from Heljan for the virtual GETS looked pretty tidy to me. A bit too early for my late WRDHL stock but we'll see...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The models on display looked really good and I might be tempted to  a BR green one. Just a little concerned that there appears to have been little reaction to their being shown. With large prairie, mogul and manor around or imminent are GWR/WR modeller running out of cash?

33 minutes ago, Bazza said:

The models on display looked really good and I might be tempted to  a BR green one. Just a little concerned that there appears to have been little reaction to their being shown. With large prairie, mogul and manor around or imminent are GWR/WR modeller running out of cash?

I suspect that most of us are. In my case, I think I’ll find it somehow for one of these. GWR for me. It sounds to me as if Ben Jones has got Heljan’s minds moving in the right direction.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

There are two shades of BR green. Ben asked me to look over the livery artwork and there was a dark green one. I suggested that Heljan should do the light green version, too. Glad to see it's been done. Dark green would have been a very late repaint and a short time in traffic before withdrawal. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bazza said:

More likely just overshadowed by the beautifully curvaceous Dapol streamlined railcar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 18/02/2021 at 08:00, Neal Ball said:

Hi Ben @61661is there any news when the OO GWR / AEC railcars are due into retailers?

Thanks,

Hi Neal,

The OO gauge Railcars are expected April/May, depending on how quickly the factory gets back into full gear after the Chinese New Year break. 

The O gauge version arrived in Denmark on Tuesday and is being shipped out to retailers now. 

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have pre-ordered the blood & custard/grey roof version and really looking forward to receiving it. I just hope that the slow-running qualities are first class, plus slow stop/starts - which are essential for a small layout. I remember seeing quite a few of these railcars back in the day in my trainspotting days back in Southall. (AEC territory!!!)

best to all and stay safe

exmoordave

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, exmoordave said:

I remember seeing quite a few of these railcars back in the day in my trainspotting days back in Southall. (AEC territory!!!)

The parcels one was a regular round there? I live at Castle Bar Park and now that the Greenford branch runs between a bay at West Ealing, as well as the separate platform at Greenford, its seems ripe for a heritage shuttle service to me. I'd thought an auto train but on reflection Didcot's railcar would do a job too!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

Just consulted 2 of my Ian Allan books and according to my "Spring 1961" edition, I had seen:

21(81C), 24(82B), 25(81C), 28(82B), 30(81D), 31(81C), 33(81D), 34(81C), 38(81D) - of which only 34 was a parcels car. I can clearly remember often seeing a railcar parked in the short spur only a 100 yards+ away from the bottom of the footbridge steps, where us lads used to congregate. I can't remember which one it was though! Ah, happy days....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2021 at 11:48, 61661 said:

Hi Neal,

The OO gauge Railcars are expected April/May, depending on how quickly the factory gets back into full gear after the Chinese New Year break. 

The O gauge version arrived in Denmark on Tuesday and is being shipped out to retailers now. 

Hope this helps

Ben

Thanks Ben

• Like 1