Bachmann mid year update

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Thread here with updates on some N Gauge items. Notably EP samples of the Thompson coaches and notes on the progress of the 8F & Class 31. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137096-Bachmann-2018-mid-year-update/?p=3284497

One thing that did strike me was the solitary item(s) listed as delivered in 2018:

Farish – delivered 2018

Hawksworth coaches – 1st run in maroon livery

Is that really it for this year?

Tom.  

It is pretty poor. Having switched to N a couple of years ago I don't regret it, as the space potential & latest generation of BR D&E vintage models are stunning, but even so, I definitely feel like a poor relation. Plus they do seem to insist on keeping on with factory weathering which is, let's be honest, completely rubbish. Why not focus the obviously limited resources & production slots on 'clean' versions that people can do what they want with (a pet hate of mine). I know its all down to economics, but it does feel like N has never been so popular, or well supported by newer entrants to the market; something doesn't quite scan with Farish?

As said, let's hope there a bunch of things to be announced / updated at TINGS.

Edited by bill badger

• RMweb Premium

My gripe is that Bachmann are bringing out what seems like loads and loads of locos (particularly 37's) as Rep and Commissioned limited editions in OO scale but nothing whatsoever in N.

As a N scale member of their Collectors Club where yet again the new loco is OO, I feel that I am being short changed.

I've noticed a lot less N in shops - Arcadia and Waltons.

I sort of saw this coming a couple of years back and I decided that there would be more opportunity for the types of models I wanted in OO - I'm not even interested in DCC or Sound just the models themselves.

I think the ease of DCC'ng and improving sound has drawn attention to OO which allied to the land grabs with O has left the N market in it's wake.

But, RevolutioN has shown there is a market, DJM is making steady progress with the King and Bachmann Farish want models that are sound ready so clearly they believe there is a future in this scale - I haven't seen Bachmann make any move to O - they have gone to 9mm track with Narrow Gauge and putting more into their N gauge offerings.  Dapol have also come back with the 50 and the stunning 68.

Overall, I think it's a case of waiting.

The 4TC is unlikely as the tool is owned by Kernow for the forseeable and they still have plenty.

The 2 HAP maybe one day along with an EPB, or did the 4CEP sell badly.

The fact that Kernow have plenty of 4mm 4TCs has little bearing on somebody doing a 2mm 4TC. It would be unlikley that kernow would have prevented Bachman/Farish from doing it in other gauges. Sales of 4Ceps was midling as they did the old version rather than the referbished version which had many more liveries.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just wish they would give us an additional SR EMU. Something I can run with my 4 CEPS. 2 HAP or 4TC would be perfect. Wishlisting ends...........

I’m building a 4TC in n gauge from Farish Blue Ribband Mk1s you might be interested in the method. Link below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/?p=3173728

or did the 4CEP sell badly.

It wasn't a bad seller but was hampered by being an unrefurbished set restricting time period, liveries and routes used on.

I was told at the recent press day that the blue/grey versions were faster and better sellers than the plain green.

G

• RMweb Gold

It would be great to see the Class 24/1 in N along with the Class 24/0 in green with a small yellow front as companions to Dapol's 26 & 27, just maybe Dapol to surprise us and justify RevolutioN's decision to drop the Class 29 with their own N Gauge version all as follow-ups to their 4mm cousins all announced at TINGS.Now wouldn't that be nice...

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

I am still waiting for those Sealink Mk1's and the Mk2 FK which I am becoming increasingly convinced as time marches on that Bachmann have forgotten they were supposed to be making at some point.

I'd take a couple of 24/1's and 25/3's in a heartbeat though!

• RMweb Premium

I am still waiting for those Sealink Mk1's and the Mk2 FK which I am becoming increasingly convinced as time marches on that Bachmann have forgotten they were supposed to be making at some point.

I'd take a couple of 24/1's and 25/3's in a heartbeat though!

And still no second issue / announcement of the Mk1 FK in blue / grey been sold out for a couple of years.

I think John you’ll get a Scenecraft Resin Car Ferry before the Sealink Mk1s appear!

I take it nothing was announced today then? Any samples in cabinets, indeed anything?

I wouldn't have thought there be anything new displayed or announced at TINGS, especially with the mid year press day and BCC day the week before when the latest/current situation was outlined and the latest developments displayed. However, they did say that there was the possibility of more news at the Warley NEC show.

G