Dapol Announce O gauge Turbot

MGR Hooper!

4 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Hello Robin, if you look at the reference photos on Paul Barlett's excellet website (link couple of posts earlier), from the available photos they don't appear to have been built with steps in the 1980s. 

The steps and additional handrails make appearances in Pauls photos dated the later half of the 1990s but not sure when the modification was actually done.

I thought I read somewhere else that this was an EWS modification, so potentially dating this from the second half of the 90s - but don't quote me, as I'm definately no expert! 

Hi Chris, thanks for that information, that's really useful.

As I've stretched the time setting of my layout era to mid '80's to include Turbots, I think I will remove the steps on the one wagon in that case.

8 hours ago, birdseyecircus said:

Great model but I must say they are rather oddly packed in the box, you are looking into the body of the wagon so you cannot see the model!

Paul

If I remember correctly the OO version is packed the same way!

1 hour ago, Robin Gristwood said:

Hi Ian,

Do you mean the minimum radius that the wagon will go round?

The official data from Dapol says minimum radius is 2nd radius curve = 1028mm (40.5")

Pretty sure Ian's referring to the lettering printed on the side of the wagons. Which is probably quite accurate for the models! :) 

It should actually read 31 metres, so I'm sure there's an opportunity for Railtec to make a few quid :)

1 hour ago, Robin Gristwood said:

Hi Ian,

Do you mean the minimum radius that the wagon will go round?

The official data from Dapol says minimum radius is 2nd radius curve = 1028mm (40.5")

the panel is in reference to the minimum radius of the full size wagon. It’s 31 metres not 3. Dapol have cocked it up

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2020 at 23:46, hmrspaul said:

The EWS version

CRI02053.JPG.e2995989ec0a4add60842577a692491b.JPGCRI02031.JPG.6b1c30959b5c0a1db0141a5cb380bfdd.JPG

PS now confirmed that EWS have these as "3 METERS" for the minimum curve. Dapol have copied it correctly - including the mis-spelling of metre. 

Do you have a picture of the original that you can share if the full size wagons’ panel please?

13 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Do you have a picture of the original that you can share if the full size wagons’ panel please?

No they came from an acquaintance whom I believe posts on here occasionally and I've never met. Quite clear on both photos that, for EWS livery, Dapol have copied correctly. The only EWS wagon I have a photo of is the rebody displayed at Toton open day and this doesn't have any of this writing. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brturbot/eaf7c157

Paul

13 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

No they came from an acquaintance whom I believe posts on here occasionally and I've never met. Quite clear on both photos that, for EWS livery, Dapol have copied correctly. The only EWS wagon I have a photo of is the rebody displayed at Toton open day and this doesn't have any of this writing. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brturbot/eaf7c157

Paul

Ah ha! Just found a picture by Geoff Sheppard from April 2018 of a 'Turbo' at Dunster, West Somerset Railway, where it is now resident.

As well as the missing 'T' on Turbot, it also shows the '3m' radius (I believe the correct figure is 31m?).

While it may be that the figure '1' has dropped off or been removed, there is no doubt about the miss-spelling of 'metres' - which is shown as the measuring device (e.g. a gas meter), rather than a unit of measurement (metre). It's a common error that you see everywhere, even from organisations that should know...

Anyway, picture below. Perhaps this was the reference wagon?

YCV_978105_at_Dunster.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 00.37.57.png

Edited by Mel_H
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Ah ha! Just found a picture by Geoff Sheppard from April 2018 of a 'Turbo' at Dunster, West Somerset Railway, where it is now resident.

As well as the missing 'T' on Turbot, it also shows the '3m' radius (I believe the correct figure is 31m?).

While it may be that the figure '1' has dropped off or been removed, there is no doubt about the miss-spelling of 'metres' - which is shown as the measuring device (e.g. a gas meter), rather than a unit of measurement (metre). It's a common error that you see everywhere, even from organisations that should know...

Anyway, picture below. Perhaps this was the reference wagon?

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 00.37.57.png

This has nothing to do with the TWO that I mentioned, which were in the Merehead traffic and in goodish condition. The 3 on these are in the same position, and not where a 3 from 31 would be. 

18 hours ago, brian daniels said:

Here is the picture of mine I think Paul is referring to clearly showing ity must not go round of less than 3 gas meters!

Open YCV.jpg

Thankyou Brian, finally someone may believe us.  But I have not seen this photo before. I gave up trying to search the internet for photos as all I got were photos of models (and fish!). As mentioned a poor stencil which appears to have multiplied this mistake many times over. 

Paul

• Like 1