Farish Mk1 RFO/RMB in SR green

Gremlin

Hi All

Please keep in mind that I am Australian, so the question may appear odd to you...

I have a rake of "new" Farish Mk1s in SR green configured as FO/FO/.../CK/SK/SO/BSK and I also have an "older" RFO placed where the "..." is.  All the carriages are SR green with no BR logo.  I have just purchased a new Mk1 RMB which does have a BR logo.  I was intending to substitute the better-detailed RMB for the RFO but now realise that I have (at least) two problems:

1. the logo - why do none of the other carriages have it?

2. RMB appears to be second class where the RFO is first class, so I would need to change the arrangement of the rake...perhaps placing the RMB after the CK?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

This thread suggests that BR(S) only applied roundels to the coaches used on the Royal Wessex.

The RFO was a restaurant car with no kitchen facilities. These would have been provided by a kitchen car running next to it (the kitchen car often sandwiched between the RFO and a second class restaurant car).

The RMB didn't have a kitchen - just a buffet counter to sell drinks and snacks. Putting it between first and second class is a reasonable place (unless you have a specific train in mind?)

If you want to keep the RFO then find a RU to go with it (although I don't think Farish ever did these in green, only marron). These did have a kitchen.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

I am pretty sure there never was a Mk1 RU in green except for modern era charter stock as the Southern Region tended to still use the Maunsell and Bullied kitchen cars.

Scrub that, Mainline did one in OO so there probably was after all!

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

The Mainline (later Replica) coach is actually a RB or RBR, a later build than the RU. There were certainly RBs in SR green but AFAIK no RUs. The coaches are similar, but there are detail differences, most noticeably on the kitchen side of the coach.

Time for Rule 1?

• RMweb Premium

The crest fitted Mk1's did drift away from their allotted services occasionally but generally speaking all run of the mill BR(S) green Mk1's were plain green.  In OO scale Bachmann have never to my knowledge put crests on any of their Mk1's whilst at the other end of the spectrum Hornby have always put them on.