Dapol Announce OO Gauge Bogie Bolster E

MGR Hooper!

Following on from our weekend announcement of the O Gauge Turbot and Bogie Bolster 'E' We are announcing the OO gauge version of the Bogie Bolster 'E' which will join our previously announced OO Gauge Turbot. As with the O gauge models and the Turbot the Bogie Bolster 'E' is in an advanced stage of development with livery samples and artwork currently being finalised.

Based on diagram 1/479 Two Lots were built in Ashford by BR during 1961 - 1962. A Total of 1200 wagons.

Constructed to a modern design, on David & Lloyd bogies, this wagon was the shortest of the bogie bolster at just over 32 feet in length. The reasoning behind equipping such a short vehicle with bogies was that a higher load could be carried due the increased axle count. Though originally constructed as part of BRs regular 'pool' of commercial wagons, they quickly found favour with the engineers department as well as many other uses including conversions to steel coil carriers and continuous welded rail transportation amongst other uses.

Our new model features include:

• Pinpoint axles
  • Highly detailed bogies
  • Die-cast chassis
  • Prototype chassis design
  • Finely detailed underframe
  • Sprung buffers
  • Working 'instanter' coupling
  • Removable NEM pocket
  • Re-positionable, multi-component bolsters with correct relief (Multi-part construction)
  • Re-positionable stanchions with separate metal tie-down loops
  • Profiled metal wheels

Initially we shall be releasing the following versions:

4F-061-001 923358 Bauxite BEV 4F-061-002 923444 Bauxite YNV 4F-061-003 923528 Bauxite YRV (S&T) 4F-061-004 923791 Bauxite YNV 4F-061-005 923962 Bauxite YRV (S&T) 4F-061-006 924327 Bauxite BEV

The models have an RRP of £29.95 and will be released during early 1st quarter 2019 through our usual dealer network.

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/freight-stock/bogie-bolster-e-oo-gauge/7869-announcing-the-bogie-bolster-e-in-oo-gauge

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thats great news

Certainty at last - the Kernow announcement still has an ethereal quality about it!

6V15/6M82 Langley Green - Llandeilo Junction and 6V89/6E47 Scunthorpe - Alexandra Dock Junction sorted at last!

Now how about some CBAs please?

Phil

Thats great news

Certainty at last - the Kernow announcement still has an ethereal quality about it!

6V15/6M82 Langley Green - Llandeilo Junction and 6V89/6E47 Scunthorpe - Alexandra Dock Junction sorted at last!

Now how about some CBAs please?

Phil

With careful planning, you could use the same rake in both directions. In both cases, the load was 4" Engineer's Bar, either from Duport to Great Bridge (via Langley Green) or Scunthorpe to Cardiff, Castle Works, via ADJ.

The spec indicates great detail, with adjustable bolsters as well as stantions and with separate ring anchors. Have to keep stubby fingers in check. I had held off the Kernow bolster e as I wasn't happy to do the chassis modifications I did with the Turbot.

Interesting that they aren't doing one with the original livery/lettering style - I wonder how readily the ones lettered as BEV could be backdated?

Given all too much of their production theirs no guarantee that any will have the correct livery/lettering - they are the one manufacturer of whom I will never pre order a model given the lemmings they turn out all too frequently.

Given all too much of their production theirs no guarantee that any will have the correct livery/lettering - they are the one manufacturer of whom I will never pre order a model given the lemmings they turn out all too frequently.

Five of 6 of the announced models are based on my photos, and I have been able to comment on the first colour drawings. List on their website above and I've posted the links on the GoG forum. I have mentioned the omission of a steam era finish.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

I have mentioned the omission of a steam era finish.

Paul

Well - they won't sell any to me unless they do the 'as introduced' livery - and correctly at that !

Until then, I'll stick to my modified Lima BOGIE BOLSTER Es.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

As someone who aspires to model a secondary WR line in periods from late 1957 through to late 1966 this is something that I can welcome (probably in S&T guise).

Why S&T? They were new in 1961 and in frontline steel carrying duties into the 1970s.They weren't necessarily used in shoals - individuals regularly appeared at Staines Central (which handled a surprising variety of steel stock) in the later 1960s.

Paul

Well - they won't sell any to me unless they do the 'as introduced' livery - and correctly at that !

Until then, I'll stick to my modified Lima BOGIE BOLSTER Es.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John

I thought you would be pleased if they didn't to help sales :jester:

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Why S&T? They were new in 1961 and in frontline steel carrying duties into the 1970s.They weren't necessarily used in shoals - individuals regularly appeared at Staines Central (which handled a surprising variety of steel stock) in the later 1960s.

Paul

John

I thought you would be pleased if they didn't to help sales :jester:

Paul

Paul,

I don't do the BBE as a transfer sheet - yet !!!

Regards,

John.

I did say 'probably'! 

My aspiration is to have a number of semi-fixed rakes of freight (and engineering) vehicles, reflecting the changes in vehicles used, and services provided, during the period 1957-66. Which is why I thought S&T, for use towards the end of this period (when commercial traffic was virtually non existent . But I would not be adverse to a 'newly introduced' non engineering version, particularly if the model is a good one.

Are there photos of the use at Staines Central which you mention?

• RMweb Gold

With careful planning, you could use the same rake in both directions. In both cases, the load was 4" Engineer's Bar, either from Duport to Great Bridge (via Langley Green) or Scunthorpe to Cardiff, Castle Works, via ADJ.

Smashing gen Brian - was thinking that too!

For ages I wondered why the Llandeilo - Langley Green was heading south loaded in this picture from Brian Thomas

post-7138-0-58744200-1536167634.jpg

Until I realised the truth - this was in fact the Scunthorpe - ADJ working ! But why 4 inch bar in both directions?

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

I did say 'probably'! 

My aspiration is to have a number of semi-fixed rakes of freight (and engineering) vehicles, reflecting the changes in vehicles used, and services provided, during the period 1957-66. Which is why I thought S&T, for use towards the end of this period (when commercial traffic was virtually non existent . But I would not be adverse to a 'newly introduced' non engineering version, particularly if the model is a good one.

Are there photos of the use at Staines Central which you mention?

I've posted more in the O gauge topic including links to 5 of the 6 announced models.

At the moment the two Staines photos are at the beginning of https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/recentlyadded - I've rescanned as high resolution, although the colour one is really showing the age of Agfa film.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbbe

By the way I think your understanding of the history of freight is inaccurate. There was ample commercial wagon load freight into the late 1960s - places like Staines were very busy, not least as smaller yards closed and they got more traffic. The steel bar traffic was to a site near Yeoveney. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stainescentral

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 3

I've posted more in the O gauge topic including links to 5 of the 6 announced models.

At the moment the two Staines photos are at the beginning of https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/recentlyadded - I've rescanned as high resolution, although the colour one is really showing the age of Agfa film.

By the way I think your understanding of the history of freight is inaccurate. There was ample commercial wagon load freight into the late 1960s - places like Staines were very busy, not least as smaller yards closed and they got more traffic. The steel bar traffic was to a site near Yeoveney. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stainescentral

I wonder what they were using all those Larssen piles for, Paul; were the banks of the Thames having to be reinforced?

As you mention, freight was still pretty buoyant, even into the mid-1970s. I remember going to Barnstaple (not a major industrial centre) in 1975 and seeing wagons carrying steel plate, cement, agricultural machinery and, curiously, bananas. This was repeated around the country, in places such as Carmarthen,  Hexham, Chichester....

There are those that wondered why the Bolster E was introduced; the answer is that it was the ideal wagon for certain traffic, such as lengths of Engineer's Bar. In certain works, such as Duport, Llanelli, no other bogie wagon could run on the tight curves- when a Bolster C was sent in by mistake, the overhang caused it to demolish a lineside hut.

I wonder what they were using all those Larssen piles for, Paul; were the banks of the Thames having to be reinforced?

As you mention, freight was still pretty buoyant, even into the mid-1970s. I remember going to Barnstaple (not a major industrial centre) in 1975 and seeing wagons carrying steel plate, cement, agricultural machinery and, curiously, bananas. This was repeated around the country, in places such as Carmarthen,  Hexham, Chichester....

There are those that wondered why the Bolster E was introduced; the answer is that it was the ideal wagon for certain traffic, such as lengths of Engineer's Bar. In certain works, such as Duport, Llanelli, no other bogie wagon could run on the tight curves- when a Bolster C was sent in by mistake, the overhang caused it to demolish a lineside hut.

Agree about Barum. Back in 72 it even had it's own resident 'gronk', complete with driver who'd started his career on the (independent) L&B!

Can't understand why Kernow haven't put a pre-66 version on their list. If I'm going to have to pay thirty notes for a goods wagon I don't expect to add on another five or six quid for a popular representation, however good John's transfers are. Just how much work would converting a Cambrian Turbot be, I wonder?

• RMweb Gold

Agree about Barum. Back in 72 it even had it's own resident 'gronk', complete with driver who'd started his career on the (independent) L&B!

Can't understand why Kernow haven't put a pre-66 version on their list. If I'm going to have to pay thirty notes for a goods wagon I don't expect to add on another five or six quid for a popular representation, however good John's transfers are. Just how much work would converting a Cambrian Turbot be, I wonder?

If you are intending doing some work on a wagon start with the much cheaper Lima Bobol E, add Rumney Models, Lanarkshire Model Supplies, Cambrian/Stenson Models bits and pieces and you'll have a far more accurate model for a lot less money.

Mike.

Dapol!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Link to the info referred to in the message below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137181-Dapol-announce-o-gauge-bogie-bolster-e/?p=3289660

Thanks for posting it.

• 7 months later...