Dapol Announce OO Gauge Bogie Bolster E

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Bought one this morning to ascertain ease (or otherwise) for re-wheeling to EM. Definitely not a straight drop in, will have to give this some thought. Nice model though.

Edited by drjcontroller

• RMweb Gold
On 09/08/2019 at 17:19, Fat Controller said:

Are you going to run them loaded in both directions, Phil?

Thanks for raising that one Brian!

As far as I can ascertain and as you have pointed out there were two flows - down loaded from Scunthorpe to ADJ - where did they go from there?  - and up loaded from Llandeilo Jct to Langley Green. Plus corresponding empties.

Both traffic flows were 4" bar....

So loaded and empty.....no way can we have two rakes of 20, one is bad enough - so will need to see when they arrive how we might make up chained bundles of 1mm square section...brass or plastic - that can be loaded and removed to suit....

Phil

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thanks for raising that one Brian!

As far as I can ascertain and as you have pointed out there were two flows - down loaded from Scunthorpe to ADJ - where did they go from there?  - and up loaded from Llandeilo Jct to Langley Green. Plus corresponding empties.

Both traffic flows were 4" bar....

So loaded and empty.....no way can we have two rakes of 20, one is bad enough - so will need to see when they arrive how we might make up chained bundles of 1mm square section...brass or plastic - that can be loaded and removed to suit....

Phil

The southbound flow went to what had been GKN in Cardiff Docks, I believe. There was some kind of deal between the Cardiff and Scunthorpe plants; both rolled 4" billets and drew wire coil. The flow from Duport, at least during the period I remember it the late 1960s/early 1970s, went ultimately to Great Bridge, on the line between Stourbridge Jct and Walsall. I don't know if the wagons were staged at Langley Green, a place I always associated with chemical plants.

For the load, I'd suggest a number of layers of plastic sheet, of about the correct thickness, with a top layer of individual strips. The ends of the bars should be painted with colours such as red, green, blue and yellow- these were something to identify individual batches. The top layer should have numbers to indicate the date of production.  Though the bars were nominally of the same length (32' IIRC), the ends of the loads were not flush. Takes me back to childhood, as Duports was at the end of our street, and you would hear the billets coming off the rolls. Strangely, you only noticed the noise when it stopped.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The southbound flow went to what had been GKN in Cardiff Docks, I believe. There was some kind of deal between the Cardiff and Scunthorpe plants; both rolled 4" billets and drew wire coil. The flow from Duport, at least during the period I remember it the late 1960s/early 1970s, went ultimately to Great Bridge, on the line between Stourbridge Jct and Walsall. I don't know if the wagons were staged at Langley Green, a place I always associated with chemical plants.

For the load, I'd suggest a number of layers of plastic sheet, of about the correct thickness, with a top layer of individual strips. The ends of the bars should be painted with colours such as red, green, blue and yellow- these were something to identify individual batches. The top layer should have numbers to indicate the date of production.  Though the bars were nominally of the same length (32' IIRC), the ends of the loads were not flush. Takes me back to childhood, as Duports was at the end of our street, and you would hear the billets coming off the rolls. Strangely, you only noticed the noise when it stopped.

Agree re the chemical traffic Brian - think that lasted longer than the bolster E traffic, theres some great pictures here

http://www.petertandy.co.uk/class25.htm

But theres also a great shot of the steel traffic in the yard too .... will post a link when I find it

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

2 rakes of 20, pah, you lightweight!

Mike.

• Funny 2

I've found that you can easily remove the printed insignia on these models, even the black rectangles with TOPS codes. Underneath is painted bauxite. I dabbed white spirit from a cotton bud on to the areas to be removed, left for 20-30 secs and then used the damp cotton bud to wipe over the insignia, which had softened and came off.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2019 at 11:53, drjcontroller said:

Bought one this morning to ascertain ease (or otherwise) for re-wheeling to EM. Definitely not a straight drop in, will have to give this some thought. Nice model though.

I would expect the Bogie Bolster E to be the same as the Turbot with respect to EM and P4 conversions:

HTH,

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

I would expect the Bogie Bolster E to be the same as the Turbot with respect to EM and P4 conversions:

HTH,

David

David,

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Having come to the conclusion that the existing bogies cannot be re-wheeled (too narrow), I'd looked at the Stenson Models bogies but noticed that Cambrian Models sell ready made bogies of the correct type, so I've ordered a pair to see if they can be used. If not, I'll have a go at the Stenson kit.

Very impressed with your workmanship by the way, having just read your Workbench thread. I'll have to keep an eye on this for further inspiration.

Thanks again,

Douglas

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, drjcontroller said:

David,

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Having come to the conclusion that the existing bogies cannot be re-wheeled (too narrow), I'd looked at the Stenson Models bogies but noticed that Cambrian Models sell ready made bogies of the correct type, so I've ordered a pair to see if they can be used. If not, I'll have a go at the Stenson kit.

Very impressed with your workmanship by the way, having just read your Workbench thread. I'll have to keep an eye on this for further inspiration.

Thanks again,

Douglas

If it's accuracy you're after I would personally go straight to Stenson, but for ease Cambrian obviously.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yup it is crazy John .... with tension locks as fitted those sprung buffers would never get to kiss 

and had had seen those 3D print jobbies Mike... will be assessing options to see if we can get even closer coupling but the ease of coupling in the fiddle yard sidings has to be considered...,the layout crew already  want to lynch me for putting the Roco style Hornby couplings on our Mk1s....

The Dapol solid bars as supplied are an easy push fit in to the NEM pockets, a strong point in their favour! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

the buffers

Too true Mike.

Even I was making a better job of them. Although this is almost 20 years ago the buffers were better. (Rest of it was crap).

BBE4(II).jpg.f9fe97e44622870ed61c9b86cc2a5317.jpg

Looks like the Dapol jobbie will brush up nicely with that metal u/frame providing a good bit of weight.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, D1051 said:

BRAVE MAN, on a serious note IF you try the 3D version of coupling can you post some pics ta.

Well I did ask for some of those special train (wink wink) that I always have for £2.50 ..... but that didnt work!

Yes will have a look at those - and will post once I rebrand a wagon with Mr Isherwood's transfers ... already to hand

31 minutes ago, pinzaboy said:

I too was dismayed at the length of the coupling.

There's nothing wrong with the coupling - it's a standard NEM fitting tension-lock.

The problem is the NEM pocket position - it should end flush with the bufferbeam, but doesn't!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just done the first wagon with CCT's transfers - thanks John. Much prefer the type face and weight of the transfers - particularly the brake string stars - rather than the originals. Left the black box on opposite end to number as thats what photo on Paul Bartlett site has. A coat of Klear over them - now waiting weathering which will finish blending them in. Originals off in short order with a cotton bud dampened with thinners.2300662B-D64C-4358-9C0A-0EDFD149E20A.jpeg

So looking at the coupling - you can see why it protrudes so far to accommodate a NEM pocket which is a standard size to take the coupling tails. Might an option be to cut the pocket and coupling tails back and glue the coupling in to a shortened pocket? Havent checked but are the short Bachmann couplings shorter than these Dapol couplings...???

091E8E08-E0C3-4BDB-BBB9-49F46F545205.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Added text

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Just done the first wagon with CCT's transfers - thanks John. Much prefer the type face and weight of the transfers - particularly the brake string stars - rather than the originals. Left the black box on opposite end to number as thats what photo on Paul Bartlett site has. A coat of Klear over them - now waiting weathering which will finish blending them in. Originals off in short order with a cotton bud dampened with thinners.

You are being very unreasonable. Yes the CCT transfers are good - for the first application of numbers in c1961, but Dapol have done a good job of copying the photographs of mine that they used. They know I was disappointed they didn't do a steam era finish on any of the models, but they didn't and the writing changed by the 1970s. Please don't keep misleading RMWebbers.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for commenting Paul.

Looking at your photos - and I certainly do, they are a fantastic resource - both styles are valid - no query about that. To me the steam era style looks better and that was my personal preference expressed. Not the intent to mislead - will reword post to clarify. 

My only criticism is that the brake release stars on the ones I have are not printed consistently - they are different sizes, suspect the print was not straightforwards in a narrow recessed area with rivet detail. Transfers not easy either!

CCT have done transfers with individual running numbers too so will eliminate duplication within the rake. 

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 1