Dapol Announce OO Gauge Bogie Bolster E

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From a conversation I had when having some steel bar loads resin cast for the Bobols, the colour denotes the type/grade of steel.

Mike.

Got a picture of your loads Mike? 

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From a conversation I had when having some steel bar loads resin cast for the Bobols, the colour denotes the type/grade of steel.

Mike.

There would also be white painted numbers indicating the date of the 'melt' The same applied to other finished, or semi-finished steel, including coils

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Tried running the 20 wagon rake on the Kato track on kitchen floor this afternoon - using the solid bars as supplied by Dapol. Not good! Too rigid - although the bogies have plenty of float in them the bar coupling holds them rigid vertically - a surefire recipe for derailments.

So time to think again .... needs to be more flexible vertically. For fist go might just try slimming down body of bar coupling where it goes in to the NEM pocket. Failing that something more radical will be required.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

The video would show the problem if it would load! On the first pair of bogies which are connected with the coupling bar as supplied only one axle per bogie rotates - only one touching rail, sure fire derailment. On the second pair of bogies connected with a modified coupling both axles rotate and are touching rail.

The coupling bar between the second pair has been slimmed to achieve this in the area between the lugs on the fish tail and the cross bar. This means that it can now flex up and down using the lugs on the fish tails as pivot points. Another 19 to do and then will test run again....

9A46343B-771F-4FEE-90D1-203BE551CFE5.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Video wont load

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2020 at 15:59, Enterprisingwestern said:

Do it properly and fit instanters Phil, you know it makes sense!

Mike.

The crew would revolt!!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2020 at 09:04, Enterprisingwestern said:

Shapeways instanters ordered for trial...

And glad I made my own loads!

https://www.themodelcentre.com/oo-gauge/limited-editions-oo-gauge/bwl2-simulated-steel-billets-for-bolster-wagons-x1-crafted-by-tmc

Mind you I used £100 worth of 1mm square styrene rod....but what price my sanity in lockdown?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2020 at 09:04, Enterprisingwestern said:

These turned up at last but unfortunately are longer than the bar couplings supplied by Dapol so the worst of both worlds. Will try them on other fixed rake trains though such as 100 ton tanks.

Where’s Mr @Westhillwagonworks when you need some very short magnetic couplings? ;)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeedy! But probably fine on other wagons, its the NEM pockets on these wagons that cause the problems.

The Dapol bar couplings hold the faces of the NEM pockets 8mm apart

Reckon we could lose 2mm out of that and still have sufficient play for 24 inch curves - the wagons do have sprung buffers too.

B9CDBA7B-5341-49B8-99BB-C3E389E2BCB2.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Another case of the wandering standard NEM pocket then?

Mike.

As a rule of thumb, when fitting NEM pockets to models, I set the outer face of the pocket in line with the face of the bufferbeam. I've no idea if this is correct - but it works for me.

I suppose that the problem manufacturers have is that, using my practice, the rear of the NEM 'dovetail' can clash with the outer axle of bogie wagons.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As a rule of thumb, when fitting NEM pockets to models, I set the outer face of the pocket in line with the face of the bufferbeam. I've no idea if this is correct - but it works for me.

I suppose that the problem manufacturers have is that, using my practice, the rear of the NEM 'dovetail' can clash with the outer axle of bogie wagons.

John Isherwood.

Spot on John. Dapol have retained the standard dovetail and NEM pocket which is forced outwards by the presence of the axle ..... exactly as you say

• RMweb Gold

The loads are finished - all 20, hurrah - except for the colour coding on ends and any legends on bars .

With the 3d printed couplings @Enterprisingwestern pointed out not ticking the box have gone off to try them on other wagons.... see new thread here...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/154978-3d-printed-wagon-couplings/

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The bogie Dapol wagons I have. Megafrets, Silver bullets etc all seem to use #17 Kadees which makes me think that Dapol fit the pockets to far out. But in the case of the Turbot and Bolster E there's no choice due to the short wheelbase bogie been so close to the wagons headstock.

So on my Turbots I decided to cut the pocket in half, then chopped the tail off a Kadee #17 and glued together.IMG_20200529_165233.jpg.2aa2c1ebc3f165666cd89a139efe2262.jpg

IMG_20200529_165122.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back to tinkering with the couplings. Have cut down some Hunt couplings, filed them down across their width and superglued them in to their pockets. Ease of coupling should keep the layout crew happy…. With the back of the magnet mounting about 1mm out from the front of the NEM pocket the sprung buffers just kiss on my Kato curves…. Nothing that sharp on the layout! 

D57D92A4-B17A-40BB-B9B9-235F772D0A3D.jpeg

0C90E24A-48A7-491F-8932-0D7E9A265A15.jpeg

268B864D-CA15-4562-855D-F70FB5E3233E.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

I see that 6 new versions have been announced, although the detail is a bit vague. The first 2 have 'B' numbers suggesting that they could be as built. But there are 3 in the style XxxxxDL, e.g. W1413DL. Are these some later variant?

4 hours ago, Pteremy said:

I see that 6 new versions have been announced, although the detail is a bit vague. The first 2 have 'B' numbers suggesting that they could be as built. But there are 3 in the style XxxxxDL, e.g. W1413DL. Are these some later variant?

No the W --- DL are references to Dave Larkins catalogue number, two are to photos from August 1969 and the third appears incorrect (an ex Private trader mineral in internal use]

Two of the B numbers are mine from summer 1967, I don't know the origin of the third. In https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbbe

I've posted fuller details on the GoG forum. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1