JIJ

Yff Continued: Card baseboard, transversers and three link couplings in 4mm

Continued from: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134882-yff-a-cheapo-cardboard-baseboard-micro-00-layout/

A quick introduction: Some of you may have been following Jim Read's thread regarding his OO gauge experiment, with a shellaced card baseboard. Jim is an O gauge modeller at heart though, and decided to give away his in progress layout, and I took it off his hands. Since then I have moved to Germany for work, and finally managed to bring over my modelling equipment (including Yff) this morning.

This will be the thread showing my work on Yff as well as some other adventures in 4mm.

Edited by JIJ
Title changed OO to 4mm to represent investigation into EM gauge
  • Like 1

The trackplan will be unchanged from Jim's original, shown here: post-34458-0-54133100-1536005114.jpg

Here is a poor picture of the board. Apologies for the picture quality, I've never been any good at taking photos post-34458-0-74613800-1536005209_thumb.jpg

Next, the infamous airfix 14xx tank

post-34458-0-16082700-1536005391_thumb.jpg

With the plunger pickups thoroughly binned, wiper pickups were installed.

post-34458-0-76603200-1536005477_thumb.jpg

This drawing approximately shows what I've done. A piece of bent phosphor bronze strip, an interference fit in the hole for the plunger pickups, wiping on the rears off the tyres. The standard circuit, is used.

post-34458-0-61121800-1536005766_thumb.jpg

post-34458-0-58805800-1536005805_thumb.jpg.

It does run, but needs some adjustments to the rear axle suspension.

That's all for now, next will be something for the 14xx to haul, and then I'll have a go at track building, then scenery hopefully.

Joseph

• Like 4

Hello Joshua,

Good to see the start of your thread, my best wishes to you.

Cheers

• Agree 1

Update time!

Over the past few months I've been slowly experimenting with materials and methods and improving my skills, mainly marking and cutting accurately. I have built and rebuild several times a simple open wagon that I'm still not happy with but I'm getting close to having something.

Most of the wagon chassis have been converted to three links, which look much better than tension locks, and aren't that much more fiddley to uncouple manually. Here is a converted wagon chassis with another project, a Hornby railroad 08 body on a Lima 09 chassis:

1551480408149122378228.jpg.39ddb703c32f263e0149f2cb067e1934.jpg

This evening though, I had my first crack at track building. Using cardstock sleepers and rails from peco n gauge Flexi track, I built a quick 150mm section just to get a feel for it. 

Here is the result next to a piece of Hornby code 100 track for reference:

15514803432721714856024.jpg.8277b6694b59e052496f09e68d4685f6.jpg

One thing was immediately apparent; it just looks so narrow! I'm sure I don't need to explain the perculiarities of OO gauge here, but it made me want to try building another test section to EM gauge. Here it is compared to the earlier attempt:15514803677081179597764.jpg.925ec95c84e512f26d167f67c639bf77.jpg

To my eyes a massive improvement! The advantage of EM compared to P4, as I understand it, is that the flange profiles are similar to OO so that most things can be regauged with by simply pushing the wheels out on the axles. I'm looking at my stock and trying to see how easy it is to convert. Some wagons are very easy, whereas others require a visit from a file to remove material that is otherwise interfering with the wheel movement.

For now, I don't expect this layout to run with more than the 14xx, the 08 and a handful of four wheeled stock, so I can leave the rest of my stock untouched unless/until I decide to go EM on my next, larger layout.

• Like 4

Hi Yff   The Track that you built does look very good , but, beside the Hornby track looks a different gauge, must be an optical illusion? Happy Modelling Kev 

9 minutes ago, retiredoperator said:

Hi Yff   The Track that you built does look very good , but, beside the Hornby track looks a different gauge, must be an optical illusion? Happy Modelling Kev 

Yes indeed. It's the old problem that "better" sleeper spacing and sleeper dimensions, make OO track look narrower gauge (which of course, it is, slightly)
However, when you view OO track from the side (a more usual viewpoint) it's less obvious. Personally, I would be tempted to slightly reduce the size of sleepers - but that's just my opinion, of course

Hope the new pickups work well on the Airfix 14xx. When converting my old one to EM gauge, I used a brass chasis kit
(it was a "Rod Neep design" chassis kit, I think?). Let us know how it goes :)

IMG_20190820_202502662.jpg.a31102922f62ed4d6abb00db5f837576.jpg

Hi Retiredoperator and Marc,

The scale sleepers definitely add to the illusion, but I think the main thing is the Hornby track is code 100 where the rails I am using are n gauge code 80 (because it's cheap, and looks better imho), so the distance to the outside of the rails is smaller.

Surprisingly, all of the stock I have checked will run across my test pieces without fouling the sleepers (my triang dock shunter with original gnurled wheels not regauged will even run on the 18.2 mm plain track ;)). I have started to place sleepers on the baseboard but I ideally need to get some more rails.

The pickups on the 14xx have proved unreliable in EM as there is too much space between the chassis and the wheels, so I am planning to replace them with wipers soldered to PCB board mounted to the bottom of the chassis. I personally don't currently see a need for replacing the chassis as it seems to do a good job with a bit of fettling of the rear axle spring, and I'm not expecting it to haul much.

In other news I am currently no expert when it comes to making rolling stock out of card, I find the edges tend to feather, and I struggle to achieve good joints, but I have been practicing cutting and glueing square with plastic, and have currently built an RCH 7 plank wagon (Shown at the top, not sure how to change image position on mobile)

• Like 3

I’m glad you’ve taken on this little layout, Joshua. I haven’t scratch built any locomotives or wagons yet, but hope to have a go using Jim Read’s card techniques. :)

You will need to make some jigs to centre the rails on the sleepers and for any point work to set a rail a fixed distance from the sleeper edge.

Gordon A