Wiring with Peco's new 'Unifrog' n-gauge paintwork

Wherry Lines

Good evening all.

I must admit it's been a while since I've wired up a layout and I may be a little rusty in parts, but I thought I knew how to wire up a fairly straight-forward layout (such as Minories). 
However, I didn't realise that Peco now produce their code 55 paintwork with the 'unifrog' (discussed here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121872-unifrog/). I've read the leaflet that comes with the points, as well as the unifrog thread (several times) and I'm still somewhat confused.  

Previously, I would've used insulated joiners to separate the two sides of a crossover, such as with this example from the entry throat to a Minories layout. But, I've read conflicting information on whether they're needed with the unifrog points. 

post-8098-0-97351100-1536011208_thumb.png

So, do I need insulated or metal joiners for a crossover like this? I would want to use a live frog with polarity changing to improve running quality and would use a point motor which allows for this.
If I need insulated joiners, where else would they be required on pointwork? (I'm ignoring isolating sections as I know where I'm placing them!)

post-8098-0-07660600-1536011353_thumb.png

Many thanks for your guidance in advance.

Its quite simple Unifrog is a dead frog point but with an insulated metal frog and can be wired as per a dead frog point because the frog is insulated from the two inner rails at the heel end.  The point blades are wired to the rails beyond the frog. There are several different ways to wire these points, just stick to one don't mix and match

My understanding is that the frog rail beyond the frog is neutral when the point is set against it (exactly as per an insulfrog point). This holds true, even if you wire the frog to be switched since the frog is now isolated from the rails beyond it.

This will greatly reduce the need for isolating joiners but I am not sure if it will completely eliminate them. Try to run through the track diagram above as if it were built using insulfrogs and try to see if you can spot any possible settings that could lead to short circuits.

My instinct is that you will need fewer isolating joiners than with electrofrog points but I am not sure if you will need any.