Class 56 Locomotives

George Woodcock

Authors are John Dedman, Steve Clark and Mark Finch. Published by Amberley Books. Price £14 99

This is the latest book by my friend John Dedman, this time with two collaborators, and for the first time featuring a history of one

particular class of locomotive. Though the class 56s were first introduced in 1976 the pictures in the book date from the BR blue era in 1980

through to the latest Colas liveries example in 2017 and featuring many other paint schemes in between. As with the previous books there are two

colour photographs on each page with informative and concise captions underneath. Though all periods of their existence is covered well over half

the book is taken up with pictures of the privatization era while there sadly few of the blue and large logo time. I suspect this is due to the

fact that the authors have many more of the latter to choose from. The pictures cover most of the network where the class were most active so this would explain the lack of images from Scotland and East Anglia and the considerable number around the Barnetby area which is where most of them

ended up under EWS ownership. The picture quality is good as is the reproduction. Although the Class has been featured in books in the past I have no hesitation in recommending this one both to afficinados of 'the Grids' but to modellers and general rail enthusiasts.

Cheers

George