German mainline junction

Memphis32

I'm looking to build a layout loosely based on bits of the Rhine valley between Bingen and Koblenz. What I have planned so far is derived from the layout at Boppard, much simplified, and with a substantial change to how the branch departs from the station, due to issues with hiding one end exit of the layout adequately.

A (not-to-scale) drawing of Boppard HBf:

boppard

Having tried to fit the full (shortened) platform across the layout, it was obvious that it dominated the scene, so I went for the end of platform with station throat pointwork idea. The problem was then how to hide the platform disappearing into the hole in the sky. There's not much in the way of road over-bridges along that line, added to the fact that the branch line climbing alongside the loco shed crowded that end of the layout a bit, so I've made the branch leave in the opposite direction, but with a reversing move from the station. Here's three versions with differences being how to use the space next to the loco shed:

Boppard V2

Boppard V3

Boppard V4

I'd appreciate feedback on whether the junction seems plausible, and anything that's glaringly wrong! The position and angle of the mainline track at each end has to be where it is as it adjoins helices that fit with another layout. Anything else can be changed!

Some of the workings-out that brought the idea to this point can be found here.

Edited by Memphis32
  • Like 1

None of the three make much sense. The station has two main line platforms and a branch platform making an island of one platform.  Yours has an island platform and no branch platform.  I don't think you have the room to achieve what you are trying to do.

Thanks, I think... I hadn't actually spotted the other platform on the plan as it only has half an outline, and did wonder how it was operated - I thought it was possibly to clear the mainline for non-stopping traffic!

How about without the station then? It relieves me of the task of making much in the way of convincing buildings! This idea keeps the double track mainline appearing from a tunnel, with a branch heading off up the hill. You have to imagine the RH end going into a cutting. At the point the branch joins the mainline there is a goods loop and small yard with a barge mooring point (the original reason for the branch before the mainline came?)

Steinbruchafen V1

If anyone knows how to make the thumbnails a more viewable size, that would also be handy!
Edited by Memphis32

...If anyone knows how to make the thumbnails a more viewable size, that would also be handy!

Click "Add to post" after uploading the pic, and it will put a larger version wherever you left the insertion point in the post text.

Not sure what's happening with yours being small size. Are they in a gallery or uploaded directly to this thread?

Edited by eastwestdivide

If this is to be an 'inspired by' layout, then how about just having the very end of the platforms on scene (hole in the back scene hidden by a fictional foot bridge that spans all tracks). I've then used the end of Boppard from your first post to create the junction.

I've drawn it all straight for ease, but built as a big concave curve from the front would be better. As it's a fictional 'based on' format, you could incorporate the branch going over the mainline on a bridge and use that to hide the mainline going off scene on the right, with some suitable big trees hiding the hole in the sky for the branchline.

post-9147-0-14247600-1536850069.jpg

If this is to be an 'inspired by' layout, then how about just having the very end of the platforms on scene (hole in the back scene hidden by a fictional foot bridge that spans all tracks). I've then used the end of Boppard from your first post to create the junction.

I've drawn it all straight for ease, but built as a big concave curve from the front would be better. As it's a fictional 'based on' format, you could incorporate the branch going over the mainline on a bridge and use that to hide the mainline going off scene on the right, with some suitable big trees hiding the hole in the sky for the branchline.

DB Junction.jpg

Thanks for that, but I think DavidCBroad is right, I don’t have the room to fit the platforms in, mostly width of boards. Also having nearly no buildings would look rather better if the location isn’t a station!