Newman Miniatures: N and 00 Scale 3D-Printed Scratch Aids

Hello,

Recently I discovered 3D printing and began to develop N Gauge scratch-aid kits for my fleet.  Made publicly available via https://www.shapeways.com/shops/newman-miniatures and with several scaled up to 00, I gained particular interest for my recreation of the iconic Titfield Thunderbolt.

I've started this thread (being new to RMWeb) to discuss potential future prototypes to design, particularly from the pioneering Era 1.  Nothing is guaranteed, commercial chassis and wheels always being an issue, but ideas are always welcome!

post-35018-0-47533700-1536171049_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-25000800-1536171111_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Ahhhhh, you're the person I ordered the Lion model from! Welcome to RMWeb!

These are very nice, and I've been enjoying painting up my 00 Lion. I hadn't seen the Planet or Tayleur though, and might have to get hold of one of those too. The tender drive system seems to work very well, too. Oh dear, I think I feel another layout coming along...

• Like 3

Ahhhhh, you're the person I ordered the Lion model from! Welcome to RMWeb!

These are very nice, and I've been enjoying painting up my 00 Lion. I hadn't seen the Planet or Tayleur though, and might have to get hold of one of those too. The tender drive system seems to work very well, too. Oh dear, I think I feel another layout coming along...

Thanks.  Glad you're pleased with it and the drive system - I've since released a 00 'booster' motorised truck in case needed, or for unpowered locos.  Any excuse for a layout in my book!  ;)

Do share some photos of yours if you'd like to - I'm always keen to see how people have used my designs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I would like to see:

1. Iconic Norris 4-2-0. American built in Philadelphia ; the Birmingham and Gloucester had 26 (a lot for the date) - in 1845 the Taff Vale Railway bought 2 and the Aberdare Railway bought 1; all from the B&G.  I understand that Norris may have built about 1000 of them and they were the first loco exporters in US; see Google - there is a side elevation of one of the B&G ones there as well. Possible earner? Although Bachman US did do one in HO so time ago only available second hand I think. 

2 Locomtion to go with Hornby Rocket. However I do have an HO static and the valve gear might be fun"! less reasonable for you I guess¬

• Like 2

Thanks for the supportive comments. 

Locomotion No. 1 would be excellent, even if just a scratch-aid.  The valve gear is a challenge, but I have ideas!  The Norris 4-2-0 could be possible, but the Bachmann one is still pretty widely available to my knowledge. 

Broad gauge could be more challenging that No. 1’s valve gear(!) but certainly worth consideration.  For such a different format (gauge etc) I’d want to develop sleepers/track and rolling stock too to make a complete ‘set’ so to speak, but never say never…

• Like 2

Glad to see that Dr Newman has appeared on here!

If someone issues an Improved Derwent, the S&D had a couple of Planet Class locos for passenger work, providing the genesis for a S&D layout.  And did someone mention Locomotion?  IIRC, there were at least 4 similar 4-wheelers on the line before 6-coupled mineral locomotives were developed.

• Like 2

Derwent will hopefully come before too long - I just don't want to promise a timescale for it until I know exactly what CADs for it I still have, or whether it'd be best to simply start again.

If you have lost some of your CAD files, I may have an earlier copy saved somewhere on my laptop if that would be helpful. I'll have a rummage around in my files over the weekend (oo-er!)

As for rudititanic, something that would be an interesting model would be one of the Crampton single-driver locos, although the outside valve gear might be tricky, but the tender-drive would make motorising it much easier than trying to motorise the loco. Also, thank you for putting the effort in not only to enlarge your 2mm scale drawings to 4mm but to adapt them to available bits and motor bogies too, something that many people may miss when expecting a "simple" re-size.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

On the two Stockton & Darlington Planet types: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131803-school-project-the-victorian-railway/?p=3154722; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131803-school-project-the-victorian-railway/?p=3095912

On the Stockton & Darlington's four 4-coupled mineral types - Locomotion et al - see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132525-regency-rails-georgian-williamine-early-victorian-railways/?p=3096553

As for rudititanic, something that would be an interesting model would be one of the Crampton single-driver locos, although the outside valve gear might be tricky, but the tender-drive would make motorising it much easier than trying to motorise the loco. Also, thank you for putting the effort in not only to enlarge your 2mm scale drawings to 4mm but to adapt them to available bits and motor bogies too, something that many people may miss when expecting a "simple" re-size.

Seconded!

A South Eastern one please!

post-25673-0-08786700-1536233806.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

Useful to know about the SDR fleet thanks.  The Crampton  equally sounds interesting, if making Locomotion No. 1 seem simple!  ;)  The plans would certainly help though, possibly with a static version of the valve gear itself (or leaving that to the builder).  Thanks also for the comment re re-sizing - I try to make all my models workable in the real world rather than theoretical so builders know the item should actually go together...  

Coincidentally tonight I tested a new Tomytec N gauge chassis that arrived and I'm sufficiently impressed that I can see it powering a wealth of N items, potentially including (large) tender drive.  Onwards & upwards!

• Like 1

Regarding the Crampton, would it be possible to perhaps produce static valve gear as a sprued part which would give the builder the option of either using the static one or building their own without having to hack the body up?

Regarding re-sizing, I certainly feel I can understand the struggle as I'm attempting to rescale some 4mm coach kits to 10mm scale, only in wood rather than plastic! Your work is much appreciated.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Regarding the Crampton, would it be possible to perhaps produce static valve gear as a sprued part which would give the builder the option of either using the static one or building their own without having to hack the body up?

Regarding re-sizing, I certainly feel I can understand the struggle as I'm attempting to rescale some 4mm coach kits to 10mm scale, only in wood rather than plastic! Your work is much appreciated.

I think separate static valve gear would be the best bet, particularly as fitting it after would allow for any variation in the thickness of the working crank/rod.  

Good luck with that!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the above and prior ideas, this is my current potential project list.  Do let me know if there’s anything on it you would particularly like from it (in N or 00) or to add. 

Locomotion No 1

Northumbrian

Crampton

Borrows well tank ‘Windle’

(Motorised N Gauge coach for unpowered engines)

Broad gauge engine?

Norris 4-2-0?

Sandy-Potton Railway/Wantage Tramway Shannon?

Tank engine 'Captain Baxter'?

Currently being completed for testing/release are:

Head Wrightson & Co vertical boiler shunter (N & 00)

Bulleid ‘Leader’ Class (N Gauge)

LNWR van (N Gauge, motorised and free-rolling)

LNWR brakevan

L&MR 1st, 2nd & 3rd Class coach bodies (00, require scratchbuilt/modified chassis)

L&MR 1st Coach (N gauge, motorised with a new chassis type)

N/009 outside cranks

N Gauge buffers

Pre-War Sentinel shunter (N & 00)

• Like 4

Based on the above and prior ideas, this is my current potential project list.  Do let me know if there’s anything on it you would particularly like from it (in N or 00) or to add. 

Locomotion No 1

Northumbrian

Crampton

Borrows well tank ‘Windle’

(Motorised N Gauge coach for unpowered engines)

Broad gauge engine?

Norris 4-2-0?

Sandy-Potton Railway/Wantage Tramway Shannon?

Tank engine 'Captain Baxter'?

Currently being completed for testing/release are:

Head Wrightson & Co vertical boiler shunter (N & 00)

Bulleid ‘Leader’ Class (N Gauge)

LNWR van (N Gauge, motorised and free-rolling)

LNWR brakevan

L&MR 1st, 2nd & 3rd Class coach bodies (00, require scratchbuilt/modified chassis)

L&MR 1st Coach (N gauge, motorised with a new chassis type)

N/009 outside cranks

N Gauge buffers

Pre-War Sentinel shunter (N & 00)

Some great ideas there. 

Here are a few more .... !

post-25673-0-76838500-1537368380.jpg

post-25673-0-47576700-1537368448.jpg

post-25673-0-04340600-1537368494.jpg

post-25673-0-27377500-1537368509.png

post-25673-0-84645200-1537368549.jpg

post-25673-0-22497700-1537368573.jpg

post-25673-0-84565500-1537368635.jpg

post-25673-0-32327400-1537368666.jpg

post-25673-0-91617100-1537368710_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-50415600-1537368758_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

For the L&MR coaches in 4mm, would it be possible to make a chassis into which one could just drop-in 4mm scale wheelsets (perhaps with brass pinpoint bearings)? If you decide to go down that route, http://www.clag.org.uk/bearing-interface.html is an excellent place to get information on axle and bearing dimensions etc. 

Regarding Cramptons, I've just dug out my copy of Mike Sharman's tome on the subject, and I was surprised at the variety therein, and the drawings are pretty comprehensive, often including tenders, end views and cross sections, which are often missing from similar collections. I'd forgotten that our transatlantic friends had a stab as well, producing one of the uglier locos, but a challenge to modellers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comments/3fkicq/the_620_crampton_one_of_the_strangest_early_loco/

• Like 1

Regarding Cramptons, I've just dug out my copy of Mike Sharman's tome on the subject, and I was surprised at the variety therein, and the drawings are pretty comprehensive, often including tenders, end views and cross sections, which are often missing from similar collections. I'd forgotten that our transatlantic friends had a stab as well, producing one of the uglier locos, but a challenge to modellers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comments/3fkicq/the_620_crampton_one_of_the_strangest_early_loco/

An awful pity no such drawing of Fire Queen is included, Ive just ordered a copy of industrial Gwynedd vol 4 for the side view contained therein
  • Like 1

Looking for drawings of Fire Queen (I think Jenny Lind was prettier with her decent cab, and the Padarn Railway is one of the few lines for which OO gauge track is virtually correct) I came across a fascinating website that I cannot find having been mentioned before, although it probably has been, The Catskill Archive, although American, has some items of interest to most modellers. In particular, in this article http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/odcuri.Html I was struck by a couple of the less whacky locos shown, a British designed, American built, four cylinder loco that, due to the cylinders being fed from a common steam chest, was prone to more violent slipping than any opponent of Webb's compounds could invent, as the pair of cylinders driving one set of wheels could steal all the steam, leaving the other cylinders literally powerless to move. I wonder if Drummond's double singles suffered similarly?

post-189-0-76077200-1537523525.jpg

The other one that caught my eye was one described by Wilson Wordsell of the NER as the oldest steam loco still in use, in 1906, having been built in 1822.  Running on the Hetton-le-Hole Colliery lines, this gem seems to have gone under my radar.

post-189-0-48653100-1537523619.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for all the suggestions – some very interesting ones here.  I’m limited to a degree on what I can do based on the availability of commercial chassis/wheels (especially in N Gauge), but will look into them.

The L&MR coach chassis idea certainly sounds logical; thanks for the link.  As for the Hetton-le-Hole loco, once Locomotion No. 1 is done that shouldn’t be too much of a problem…