Newman Miniatures: N and 00 Scale 3D-Printed Scratch Aids

On 19/06/2019 at 09:47, Edwardian said:

Well, as the gauntlet has not been picked up, I still do not see any demonstration of the quality of the WNVP used, or of possibility and practicalities of achieving the necessary finish for a coach, without comprise of the printed relief. While I realise that a brake van might be left a little rougher, I would be interested to see close up WIP shots, in the absence of any Hi-Res pictures of the actual products being made available. 

Well I have finally got round to putting a coat of grey paint on my GWR brake van, for the Bishop's Castle Railway, another love and have taken some photos - not that i stirred the paint well enough to avoid some gloss patches.....   Hopefully you will see what a white nylon WNVP looks like given the original van is 75mm, 3 in. long, so the photos are three times life size approx.

I have also taken the plunge and ordered Derwent in the black nylon version as a pal has found a set of Romfords for me, now £7 each apparrently, and suggests Gibson adjustable connecting rods.  he has also sourced a power bogie so i have no excuses really.  I'll report progress at infrequent intervals.  I attach a drawing of Derwent and a Bury loco from the book on 19th C railway drawings by Alan Prior.Derwent_drawing.jpg.8f7a086465506be58e4e3b0e73ee3c1c.jpg1135803659_burydrawing.jpg.6c7f819a43bb9c5f8f8f67bf10d061e3.jpg IMG_4865.JPG.bb9dd13aaab9bce55738f88a30ccc34e.JPGIMG_4865.JPG.bb9dd13aaab9bce55738f88a30ccc34e.JPGIMG_4865.JPG.bb9dd13aaab9bce55738f88a30ccc34e.JPG.  It certainly passes my three foot rule - what can be seen at that distance.IMG_4863.JPG.7a03839685bbaeb0561e1a5b81a7c4e0.JPG  

IMG_4866.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, johnarcher said:

How much (if any) smoothing of the brake van did you do, Albyn?

None at all - just washed and dried it and applied a thin coat of Precision Paints LNWR grey from a new tinlet.

regards,

Albyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly, Shapeways have just released a few new materials that use the same SLA process as the Anycubic resin home printers used be several members of this parish. Of course, it's ludicrously expensive (the smallest loco model I have in OO would be approx. £40 before markup). But detail does look very good.

There is another company that uses WS&F/WNVP type materials, called 3Dprint-uk.co.uk that seems to have slightly better surface quality than Shapeways, so they may be worth a go.

• Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, Rudititanic said:

Albyn, very interesting to see thanks.  Hope you enjoy Derwent too.

As for the Bury Haystack, I built one of these some years back using traditional scratchbuilding.  As an experiment, I fitted it with working inside motion...!

….in N gauge!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Interestingly, Shapeways have just released a few new materials that use the same SLA process as the Anycubic resin home printers used be several members of this parish. Of course, it's ludicrously expensive (the smallest loco model I have in OO would be approx. £40 before markup). But detail does look very good.

There is another company that uses WS&F/WNVP type materials, called 3Dprint-uk.co.uk that seems to have slightly better surface quality than Shapeways, so they may be worth a go.

They have finally woken up, then, to the fact that someone can produce a smoother print in their boxroom than Shapeways can.

From what you say, though, it seems that, as per usual, they're caning the prices.

14 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Dr Newman - Has anyone ever informed you that you are in fact quite mad? :P 

I hope that was meant to be a joke, if a somewhat unkind one, though of course we are all a bit eccentric.  I am very grateful to the good Doctor for his efforts on Shapeways to produce items that I could never scratch build to the same standard even if i could find the time,

Albyn

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Dr Newman - Has anyone ever informed you that you are in fact quite mad? :P 

Of course!  ;)

Albyn: Sem's alright & knows my sense of humour.  'Eccentric' is a term I rather like!  Delighted to hear your appreciation of my work, and thanks for the support (both modelling & re the comment).  :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/06/2019 at 22:07, Rudititanic said:

Albyn, very interesting to see thanks.  Hope you enjoy Derwent too.

As for the Bury Haystack, I built one of these some years back using traditional scratchbuilding.  As an experiment, I fitted it with working inside motion...!

Well the Derwent prints arrived this afternoon and are very impressive.  Really pleased with them.  Many thanks Dr. Newman.

I enclose some cruel enlargements and a view of the whole ensemble.  The loco is 80mm from tip of footplate to front of smokebox, and looks to my eyes very acceptable.  I may try some dissolved body putty from my local model shop to fill in some areas and see what they look like but i think much of the printing can stand as is especially for a rough old goods engine towing a few Smallbrook chaldrons.  The photo of the ensemble is about 10% over size of the actual prints.   However if you blow everything up you can see it is 3D printed.  I shall let everybody decide for themeselves. regards,

Albyn

IMG_4870.JPG.9f40a779cec2b864407982f0908e4eef.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG.4271e21c88a8c18d29c6f400e67fd21c.JPGIMG_4878.JPG.beef457e3c245246f8f69e64eee65b1f.JPGIMG_4879.JPG.660f10e546f7c489045bda46c9f87b18.JPGIMG_4880.JPG.3bedaebcd68e17e069a2f05043b97b3e.JPGIMG_4881.JPG.7e5c3377c0b0a1d66df979143f6a5710.JPGIMG_4882.JPG.28805fef39b2a88a1c03d9a5f6860349.JPGIMG_4883.JPG.2014d3c4ae1253ae979ac0886ed2ec0c.JPGIMG_4884.JPG.e1dd523993e5b21ff3a2e1fb4490e092.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Rudititanic said:

"A d-d-Diesel, Sir?"

Wouldn't happen to be one of these, would it? I've had the design (including motorised chassis) done for quite a while now, but I haven't built it for lack of funds to get prints done.

image.png.67f070ca36547b8b933ad95986fd5ffc.png

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/06/2019 at 13:14, Killian keane said:

Im working on the possibility of 3d printed stone sleepers and baulk road,  as such something cheap but with a rough texture is ideal,  WSF/WNVP presents itself as a possibility,  as always Im willing to send the files to anyone interested 

Ooh, interesting.

When I've got my modelling bench back I'm going to be investigating if I can make stone sleepers out of plastic jewellery cubes.

Not sure how to replicate the 2 spikes used by the L&B but I plan on soldering the track onto the head of a pin pushed through the string hole.

• Informative/Useful 1

Albyn: thanks for the photos - good to see!  Glad you're pleased and let me know if I can be of any help with construction.  

Turbosnail: Indeed it is.  I'm planning on mine being solely in N Gauge as yours is already complete and available for 00 (and looks great!).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Albyn said:

Well the Derwent prints arrived this afternoon and are very impressive.  Really pleased with them.  Many thanks Dr. Newman.

I enclose some cruel enlargements and a view of the whole ensemble.  The loco is 80mm from tip of footplate to front of smokebox, and looks to my eyes very acceptable.  I may try some dissolved body putty from my local model shop to fill in some areas and see what they look like but i think much of the printing can stand as is especially for a rough old goods engine towing a few Smallbrook chaldrons.  The photo of the ensemble is about 10% over size of the actual prints.   However if you blow everything up you can see it is 3D printed.  I shall let everybody decide for themeselves. regards,

Albyn

IMG_4870.JPG.9f40a779cec2b864407982f0908e4eef.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG.4271e21c88a8c18d29c6f400e67fd21c.JPGIMG_4878.JPG.beef457e3c245246f8f69e64eee65b1f.JPGIMG_4879.JPG.660f10e546f7c489045bda46c9f87b18.JPGIMG_4880.JPG.3bedaebcd68e17e069a2f05043b97b3e.JPGIMG_4881.JPG.7e5c3377c0b0a1d66df979143f6a5710.JPGIMG_4882.JPG.28805fef39b2a88a1c03d9a5f6860349.JPGIMG_4883.JPG.2014d3c4ae1253ae979ac0886ed2ec0c.JPGIMG_4884.JPG.e1dd523993e5b21ff3a2e1fb4490e092.JPG

In a number of respects, despite the material not being the most refined, that looks very good.  There is more detail than was attempted in the prototype Sem pioneered. Much of it has come out really well.  I am particularly impressed that the mismatched cylinders have been represented. 

A number of elements do look overscale for 4mil, however.  Generally the degree of relief is too great.  The planking is particularly problematic.

I think it would benefit from refining the CAD for an OO version.

While I appreciate that N is Dr Newman's bag, the design by our Sem was intended as an OO model and handed on for refinement and completion.  This has resulted in an excellent N gauge model but not the improved OO gauge model I was hoping for and expecting.

Can we not revisit the planked elements?

While some exaggeration is probably necessary, as I've said before, the boiler cladding should appear finer without such troughs between the planks.  I suspect the boiler bands need refining also.  In this respect Derwent is an improvement on Lion, but still too exaggerated to look OK in 4mil.

The wooden parts of the tenders - floor, sides of the coal tender and water tender tool box - really have very exaggerated planking for 4mil. 

There are probably other elements that could be refined and produced closer to scale, but addressing the planking would go a very long way to making a drastic visual improvement. 

1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

At the end of the day the result is far superior to what I produced, but if Rudi feels he can improve it further then I'm sure that in time he will.

I think what he's done is great.  It would be a shame not to make the changes to make it the best model it can be in the larger scale. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Turbosnail: thanks, but mine's virtually done now so no worries.  :)

Edwardian: As already stated, WSF has coarser tolerances so some finer detail is not feasible, and as many use filler primer to smooth these out that would reduce the relief as a consequence.  I should note that the boiler planking in particular was significantly reduced from the enlarged N dimensions as it is.  The only alternative would be to produce it in FED/FUD, which effectively quadruples the price and puts it beyond what most appear prepared to generally pay.  Should these tolerances change then things will be different, but as it stands I would rather have it basic but included (which of course modellers can alter as they see fit, such as planking over the top - much finer & more bespoke than 3D) rather than finescale that after sanding/priming could disappear outright from the model.   

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1