Newman Miniatures: N and 00 Scale 3D-Printed Scratch Aids

Returning to something a little earlier, completed and awaiting running trials are two famously-tall engines: Agenoria (or is that Stourbridge Lion? ;) ) and LMR construction loco Twin Sisters.  Rather different machines!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3CT7LTVWP/n-gauge-lmr-twin-sisters-loco-scratch-aid

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KRCG2WE2M/n-gauge-agenoria-stourbridge-lion-loco-scratch-aid

IMG_1205#.jpg

IMG_1219##.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

A quick Christmas project - populating L&MR coaches with 3D-printed figures.  As with the coaches themselves (eg the L&MR originally had no standing-only Third Class), this largely reflects the 1930s-onward replicas more than the actual 1830s - there would not have been too many top hats in Third Class!

#IMG_2129.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

• 2 weeks later...

Having been completed in N, a 00 variant of Agenoria/Stourbridge Lion has ben worked on.  Rescaling is not as easy as some might think as parts can get excessively thick (or thin in the other direction) so every part has to be overhauled as can be seen in this comparison of re-scaled N (right) versus refined 00.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZJCY3TTE6/00-scale-agenoria-stourbridge-lion-loco

#Agenoria00Comparison.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/09/2023 at 20:19, Rudititanic said:

Finally complete, Bulleid’s Leader in N has been heavily upgraded to feature not only accurate super-detail (having even used the original prototype plans via the NRM) but also a redesigned chassis system with new scale BFB wheels in replacement of the under-scale rtr ones.  For those happy to compromise, however, a simple version with no chassis modifications is also available – videos have been produced explaining both of these construction methods.  Here though, the prototype shows her paces…

If anyone is interested in a more detailed breakdown of how the model was designed and built, I would be happy to explain and show photos etc. 

LeadVid#9.JPG

This is absolutely amazing! Can I ask how you translated drawings into your 3d model? I've been having fun with my own resin printer and am trying to design my own super-detailed version of the leader for bigger scales, so far the drawings I'm working from are a bit rough. How did you get drawings from the NRM, order scans etc?

Your shop is great - as mentioned I'm more into printing my own designs but I think I'll definetely be looking at buying your Crampton loco in the future...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rosie Taylor said:

This is absolutely amazing! Can I ask how you translated drawings into your 3d model? I've been having fun with my own resin printer and am trying to design my own super-detailed version of the leader for bigger scales, so far the drawings I'm working from are a bit rough. How did you get drawings from the NRM, order scans etc?

Your shop is great - as mentioned I'm more into printing my own designs but I think I'll definetely be looking at buying your Crampton loco in the future...

Thanks.  The NRM drawings were accessed in-person and measured/photographed rather than scans per se, and with the main dimensions drawn in it was then a case of comparing many photos to get/confirm the details (where no measurements, using like-for-like distances between known loco parts).  The biggest challenge was that the two main model overview drawings are both wrong, and in different ways!  Conversely the biggest success was finding a scarce image of the firebox roof area, revealing differences from what was commonly assumed.  As a commission I ultimately developed Leader in O and 00 before amending to N for myself which aided its overall fineness.  

Good luck, hope this helps, and thanks for looking at my site.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Rudititanic said:

Thanks.  The NRM drawings were accessed in-person and measured/photographed rather than scans per se, and with the main dimensions drawn in it was then a case of comparing many photos to get/confirm the details (where no measurements, using like-for-like distances between known loco parts).  The biggest challenge was that the two main model overview drawings are both wrong, and in different ways!  Conversely the biggest success was finding a scarce image of the firebox roof area, revealing differences from what was commonly assumed.  As a commission I ultimately developed Leader in O and 00 before amending to N for myself which aided its overall fineness.  

Good luck, hope this helps, and thanks for looking at my site.

Ah, visiting in person makes a lot of sense. Thats a possibility for me - a little far, but perhaps cheaper than ordering scans. Interesting that two drawings are different, I guess the only sure way is to look at photos as you say (especially with a locomotive like Leader). I'm starting to understand the massive amount of work and expertise that goes into designing models such as yours, will be following with interest!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rosie Taylor said:

Ah, visiting in person makes a lot of sense. Thats a possibility for me - a little far, but perhaps cheaper than ordering scans. Interesting that two drawings are different, I guess the only sure way is to look at photos as you say (especially with a locomotive like Leader). I'm starting to understand the massive amount of work and expertise that goes into designing models such as yours, will be following with interest!

The original drawings have variations through modifications, but as for differences I meant the often-reproduced plans made for modellers.  Photos are always the safest for accuracy!  Thanks. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alongside a S&DR chaldron, the latest N model worked on is somewhat odd even by Era 1 standards.  In Scotland, 1842, the world's first electric-hauled train ran as a demonstration.  Looking more like a truck it ate through non-rechargeable batteries, but proved it was possible.  'Galvani' therefore is both Era 1 and 'modern' electric!

#GalvaniRender1.jpg

#GalvaniRender2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Rudititanic said:

According to what I read, it was an independent project by Robert Davinson supported by and tested on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway:

https://topstastic.blogspot.com/2019/03/galvani.html

Thanks for that link @Rudititanic.  I wasn't aware of that development.

Jim

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Are there any plans to upscale the L&MR Twin Sisters to OO?

Not at this juncture unless there is a commission request or considerable popular interest.  Things are a bit busy at present!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Newly completed: the Caledonian Railway McIntosh 439 Class.  Two versions have been made; one in their main format and the second with light modifications (such as pipework) as on preserved class member No. 419.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CTD4WR66N/n-gauge-caledonian-railway-439-class-v1

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8FESH7SSF/n-gauge-caledonian-railway-439-class-v2-preserved

CaleyTankPic.jpg

• Like 3