Newman Miniatures: N and 00 Scale 3D-Printed Scratch Aids

A minor update: if of interest these are the links to my 3D-printing Facebook page and Youtube account:

https://www.facebook.com/NewmanMiniatures/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1i2FWlH_8Ptf43COup_fKQ/

The shop itself remains at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/newman-miniatures

I have had a peek at the videos, and shall go through the 'how-to' series, which seem very useful. 

When in funds I would like to build these models; inspired both by my daughter's project and by the availability of Derwent.  It is a great pity that Sem appears bogged down and unlikely to complete the latter.  

• Like 2

As I have mentioned previously - 'Derwent' will materialise some day, and I'm hoping that won't be too far off. 

I know that you, and several others, keenly anticipate it. Indeed, I want one myself before too long. But life gets in the way, as I'm sure you appreciate.

As I have mentioned previously - 'Derwent' will materialise some day, and I'm hoping that won't be too far off. 

I know that you, and several others, keenly anticipate it. Indeed, I want one myself before too long. But life gets in the way, as I'm sure you appreciate.

Sem, I had understood that you had to start from scratch and, given your circumstances, I was not expecting anything more to come of it. Of course, I would be delighted, none more so, if you managed to produce this, but in my jaundiced old age I tend to equate "some day" with "never".  I certainly won't hold my breath any longer! 

A great pity, because your Derwent gave me a taste for early locos in OO gauge, and, even with, as I hope, Dr Newman feeding that interest, there will remain a Derwent-shaped hole I any collection!   

Returning to the OP, that Planet Class running in episode 8 looked superb and I do itch for one!

• Like 1

I can assure you that in this case 'some day' is most certainly not 'never'. Doing 'Derwent' gave me a similar appetite as yourself, the difference being that I don't actually own one, still.

It may or may not require starting from scratch. Certainly I'm better now than I was at the CAD stuff, so perhaps starting from scratch would be easier.

Anyway, as you say - back to the OP! Dr Newman - please continue producing such wonderful models!

• Like 2

The work on Derwent is very impressive and in time I'm sure will be very popular.  I certainly intend to develop further models (admittedly foremost in N such as the Planet in the video - also available 'scaled up' though!), but fortunately there's no shortage of prototypes to choose from!

I'm currently finishing a number of new pieces for release in the near future, while the to-do list only grows.  As it'll be a good basis for more complex designs such as Locomotion No 1, and I've been asked about it before, I'm thinking a Northumbrian (N/00) and the the historical stages of Rocket (N) might jump the waiting list...

In the interim though, some sneak peaks of two forthcoming highlights: my most modern/complex to date and my smallest, together making two of the largest and smallest tank engines ever to run in Britain.  I should note, the Head Wrightson has what look like overscale wheels as those are ex-Grafar micro bogie wheels, while Bulleid's 'Leader' (with a extremely complex-to-design-easy-to-build structure) will have some final modifications as I've been granted access to the original master blueprints used to construct the original.  I'm rather looking forward to that!  

post-35018-0-28246300-1538063501.jpg

post-35018-0-88969900-1538063578_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-18677200-1538063590_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-58425700-1538063617_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting... last post was 27/09/18 yet it's just jumped up the list and was marked as unread! Strange...

It happens - quite often.

At least, it does to me, particularly where 3D images are the most recent post.

Well am back from York and the NRM - got access to Leader's original blueprints so some final tweaks to the model are in the pipeline.  I also was given some extra details for the VBGT so that will be updated immediately.  Then having been able to inspect Agenoria, there's plenty for me to be getting on with in the immediate future!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pleased to announce a number of new releases: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/newman-miniatures

Stephenson's Rocket (Rainhill, post-Rainhill rebuild & current preserved variants) - N Gauge
Head Wrightson VBGT shunter - N & 00
Patentee Class - N& 00
L&MR 1st coach to fit a slower chassis - N Gauge
LNWR brake van - N Gauge 
LNWR goods van (plus motorised van version) - N Gauge
Pre-War Sentinel Shunter - N & 00

The N Gauge 'Leader' is also developing well, now undergoing testing, and in another development I am working on semi-rtr sleepers for dual standard and broad gauge track

Exciting times!

post-35018-0-43784100-1542217248_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-31320200-1542217318_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-16856200-1542217365_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-72741200-1542217425_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-14927900-1542217455_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow! That's a lot of nice stuff! I was wondering what you were up to the other week when someone was singing the praises of your model of 'Derwent' to me at a show! ;)

Whoops!  xD  I've had a few people asking about doing 'Derwent'; I inform them it's already well underway with another gentleman.  Thanks though; they've come out pretty well so far even if the 'Leader' needs thorough testing before final release.

Regarding 'Derwent', I might have the solution to making operational slide bars,  If it works in N, there should be ample space in 00!

• Like 1

What I found amusing was that the old gent even mentioned the school project part... something like this:

"I like that loco at the front - what is it and how did you get it?"

"It's a London & North Western 'Jubilee' -or 'Alfred the Great', I'm not entirely sure which now - class 4-4-0, and it's a 3D Print done by me."

"Excellent - nice to see some of the earlier stuff. There's this chap 'Rudi Newman' - you may have heard of him - doing some of the really early stuff, 'Planet', that kind of thing. He did an interesting model of 'Derwent' - a Stockton & Darlington engine - for some school project of someone's, have you seen it online?"

"Erm... (Struggles to not laugh) Yes. He's doing a lot of interesting stuff, though I'm afraid he can't take the credit on 'Derwent'."

"Why ever not?!"

"Well, you see, 'Derwent' was done by me!"

"Really?! I wouldn't have expected you to have even heard of that one!"

"Well, I have - here are a few photos of it alongside the LNWR 4-4-0 and that G6 when I had it for a while."

"Well I never - isn't it small!"

"'Tis rather! It seems the chap who commissioned it was happy with it, though there were a few issues. He wants another one but at the moment I'm struggling to find time to draw them up."

"Brilliant! Well, thank you." (Walks off)

• Like 2

Whoops!  xD  I've had a few people asking about doing 'Derwent'; I inform them it's already well underway with another gentleman.  Thanks though; they've come out pretty well so far even if the 'Leader' needs thorough testing before final release.

Regarding 'Derwent', I might have the solution to making operational slide bars,  If it works in N, there should be ample space in 00!

What I found amusing was that the old gent even mentioned the school project part... something like this:

"I like that loco at the front - what is it and how did you get it?"

"It's a London & North Western 'Jubilee' -or 'Alfred the Great', I'm not entirely sure which now - class 4-4-0, and it's a 3D Print done by me."

"Excellent - nice to see some of the earlier stuff. There's this chap 'Rudi Newman' - you may have heard of him - doing some of the really early stuff, 'Planet', that kind of thing. He did an interesting model of 'Derwent' - a Stockton & Darlington engine - for some school project of someone's, have you seen it online?"

"Erm... (Struggles to not laugh) Yes. He's doing a lot of interesting stuff, though I'm afraid he can't take the credit on 'Derwent'."

"Why ever not?!"

"Well, you see, 'Derwent' was done by me!"

"Really?! I wouldn't have expected you to have even heard of that one!"

"Well, I have - here are a few photos of it alongside the LNWR 4-4-0 and that G6 when I had it for a while."

"Well I never - isn't it small!"

"'Tis rather! It seems the chap who commissioned it was happy with it, though there were a few issues. He wants another one but at the moment I'm struggling to find time to draw them up."

"Brilliant! Well, thank you." (Walks off)

Well, here's the thing. One of you should do Derwent.

We are currently honouring the fact that Sem has baggsied it, but we have no notion of when he might get round to it (his life is evidently far busier than ours!).

Further, there are technical issues that need to be thrashed out before one can achieve a 'production' model, namely coupling rods, motion and plug wheels.

So, here's a friendly suggestion that you are both free to ignore!

Why don't you two very talented people put your heads together with a view to mastering the technical challenges, and then:

- Dr Newman produces Wilberforce, the earlier Hackworth 2-tender mineral design of the Director class of 1832 

- Dr Newman might also consider the early 6-wheeler, Royal George of 1827

- Sem produces a production Derwent (1845), representing the Tory Class of 1838

Scale drawings of all three are to be found in the Alan Prior volume.

We have only to add a Planet Class coaching engine, which Dr Newman already produces, and we have a little S&D stud.

• Like 1

Certainly some ideas there.  I've got some prototypes higher up the production list, but these aren't impossible allowing for finding the appropriate wheels.  

Technically I think these could be done relatively simply - slide bars as per my N Rocket and a motor bogie in each of the tenders should do the trick.  Sem of course knows if there's other challenges.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having now painted up some of the new releases, I'm rather pleased with how they've come out.  Photographed next to a mm ruler, the VBGT cylinder block/motion is somewhat small, while drilling 0.75mm holes in 1mm width nickel steel for the rods was a bit annoying I'll admit! 

Next is the turn of the 'Leader' (just released in 7mm O Gauge as a commission piece) then back to new product designing.  Some of the suggestions previously made here will be on the list, which will be updated, but we'll have to see what will be in the immediate future...

As always, feedback and suggestions very welcome!

post-35018-0-71769500-1543005258_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-25819900-1543005299_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-62605700-1543005326_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-78787800-1543005352_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-48938700-1543005368_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of effort, my big (by comparison at least) project is finally complete - a detailed 3D-printed twin-motor 'Leader'.  Now available on Shapeways and with a construction video on youtube, I think it looks the part. It's certainly bigger than a Head Wrightson...! 

post-35018-0-20470800-1544092199_thumb.jpg

post-35018-0-54063200-1544092320_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1