Newman Miniatures: N and 00 Scale 3D-Printed Scratch Aids

Very true and certainly possible if there was demand; my previous comment was merely tongue-in-cheek.  As for working vertical motion, I've already scratchbuilt this successfully on Sans Pareil in N, so once done for Derwent it poses no difficulty at all.

Well then ...

post-25673-0-55441500-1548419708.png

post-25673-0-48757200-1548419739.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Derwent is now in the final stages of completion so I'd be grateful for thoughts & opinions (plus any vital corrections if necessary!) prior to the test-print stage.  I should note that the below images are not quite 100% now - the 00 coal tender is now slightly lower and the reverser brackets have been added.  

As for the slide bars, in N I'm sticking with my 'Rocket' form - L-shapes of wire fitting into pre-formed holes.  In 00 I am using the same system (shrunk slightly to be less obtrusive), but with faux printed slide bars as separate components to fit in front of the wires to give a more accurate appearance.  Opinions are again very welcome.

The following images are (or should be) 00 followed by N.

#DerwRendFinished00.jpg

#DerwRendFinished002.jpg

#DerwRendFinishedN.jpg

#DerwRendFinishedN2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Various updates I hope may be of interest:

I am pleased to announce two new major releases in N Gauge and 00 scale.  The first is the L&MR ‘Northumbrian’ class – the engineering link between Stephenson’s Rocket and his later Planet class.  While well-known, very few images are actually accurate, but this model is closely based on known elements and contemporary material to produce a realistic rendition.  Unpowered in both gauges owing to its small size, it offers another example of pioneering steam locomotive. 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZJVJFGDBM/n-gauge-northumbrian-loco-scratch-aid

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5RRALD26Z/00-scale-northumbrian-loco-scratch-aid

(Tenders also available separately.)

The second new release is an engine much requested over the past few years: S&DR ‘Tory’ class ‘Derwent’.  This project was taken on at the request of a fellow 3D designer and is now available in N and 00.  The N Gauge version is unpowered, requiring only coupling/connecting rods (akin to my Rocket model) and minor detailing to complete.  The 00 version conversely is designed to fit two motor bogies for operation.  Should only one be wanted (or for static display) then a chassis converter is also available. 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L7GZ33H3S/n-gauge-derwent-loco-scratch-aid

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KDBHMREZQ/00-scale-derwent-loco-scratch-aid

(Tenders also available separately.)

Various wheel options are also catered for to recreate the distinctive Hackworth style, including 3D-printed examples (in both N and 00) for static use and various paper overlays available free to everyone who purchases the model. 

Also newly released is a body shell (N and 00) for an early LNWR brake van and simple locomotive crew figures in N.  Lastly, although still in the development phase, progress has been made on N broad gauge items – a potential future area for development. 

#IMG_3820.jpg

#IMG_3878.jpg

#IMG_3835.jpg

#IMG_3846.jpg

#IMG_3849.jpg

#IMG_3857.jpg

#IMG_3860.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having seen the various versions of the S&D locos, what comes to mind is some of the earl;y locos used in South wales, both on the industrial lines of the iron works and on the Sirhowy and Monmouthshire Railways. Before my period, but I gather that they have been illustrated in various old books.

On the other hand, with the list you already have planned these may be a project for your grandson.

Jonathan.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Having seen the various versions of the S&D locos, what comes to mind is some of the earl;y locos used in South wales, both on the industrial lines of the iron works and on the Sirhowy and Monmouthshire Railways. Before my period, but I gather that they have been illustrated in various old books.

On the other hand, with the list you already have planned these may be a project for your grandson.

Jonathan.

Certainly an ideal thanks - one to look at for the list.  Time is always a challenge but never say never!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bravo!

The OO version, with 2 motor bogies, is quite an investment, but I will be tackling this in due course.

First, as I have now obtained Hornby 08 wheels and rods, I'm planning to cut my teeth on Lion, which will be a gentler introduction than plunging straight into Derwent.

Well done. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks both; glad you like how it's come out.

Edwardian - hope you like Lion, and Derwent can be built using a dummy chassis in one tender to reduce costs of necessary (or two to be unpowered).

Sem - well you set up the ground work, so credit where it's due too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, OO Lion ordered today, on the strength of having previously acquired a motor bogie and 08 wheels and rods.

If I don't make a complete hash of it, the plan is to graduate to Derwent, having acquired a further brace of motor bogies and saved up some more dosh. I can probably use Alan Gibson's adjustable rods. That just leaves the connecting rods and cross head as the challenge. 

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Well, OO Lion ordered today, on the strength of having previously acquired a motor bogie and 08 wheels and rods.

If I don't make a complete hash of it, the plan is to graduate to Derwent, having acquired a further brace of motor bogies and saved up some more dosh. I can probably use Alan Gibson's adjustable rods. That just leaves the connecting rods and cross head as the challenge. 

Hope you enjoy it!  Naturally I'm here if you need any pointers etc.  :)

Regarding Derwent's slide bars/con rods, I designed these to be as simple as possible and can either be made larger for ease or smaller with faux printed bars added over the top (with a gap for the rod).  Mechanically they're identical to those on my N Gauge 'Rocket', so I'd recommend looking at the builders video for that one on my youtube channel for details.  Again, happy to help where needed.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Rudititanic said:

Hope you enjoy it!  Naturally I'm here if you need any pointers etc.  :)

Regarding Derwent's slide bars/con rods, I designed these to be as simple as possible and can either be made larger for ease or smaller with faux printed bars added over the top (with a gap for the rod).  Mechanically they're identical to those on my N Gauge 'Rocket', so I'd recommend looking at the builders video for that one on my youtube channel for details.  Again, happy to help where needed.

Brilliant, thanks.  I am not one for over-complicating things and will be guided by what you have done when the time comes.

While Derwent remains my goal (as, sort of uncle to the original project), I thought Lion looked to be the easiest of your locos to make a start with, besides which, I've always wanted one! 

Bit by bit as time, skills and budget allows, I'd happily work my way through your range; it's all great stuff.

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Brilliant, thanks.  I am not one for over-complicating things and will be guided by what you have done when the time comes.

While Derwent remains my goal (as, sort of uncle to the original project), I thought Lion looked to be the easiest of your locos to make a start with, besides which, I've always wanted one! 

Bit by bit as time, skills and budget allows, I'd happily work my way through your range; it's all great stuff.

Simple usually is best!  Hope you'll be pleased and kind of you to say - the period certainly had interesting engines and it's been good to work on them.  Skills are always just a case of practice for all of us...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

A recent nice surprise: for viewers of 'The Great Model Railway Challenge', the layout by Missenden Abbey based on Ealing Studios films now has a special - and appropriate - new addition. Both engine and coach are of my design, and a delight to see touring exhibitions.

'Left for Titfield!'

IMG_8671.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all,

I recently bought one of the OO gauge Lion prints and I must say I'm well impressed with it! My example when finished will be of Lion in its 'proper' finish (aka not Titfield). There is still plenty of cleaning of the models left to do but that's nothing that a good evening sat at the desk couldn't take care of!

Now I just need those pesky damned 08 couplings rods! Anyone got a spare set?

Regards,

Aaron 

IMG_9292.JPG

IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

• Like 6

18 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

G'day all,

I recently bought one of the OO gauge Lion prints and I must say I'm well impressed with it! My example when finished will be of Lion in its 'proper' finish (aka not Titfield). There is still plenty of cleaning of the models left to do but that's nothing that a good evening sat at the desk couldn't take care of!

Now I just need those pesky damned 08 couplings rods! Anyone got a spare set?

Regards,

Aaron 

Hi - thanks for posting the images and glad you're pleased with the model.  Love seeing Lion with those coaches!  

Regarding rods it might be easiest to either drill some from steel strip or turn them from wire - the key measurement is 23mm from pin centres.  Do share photos of the completed model when you get there.  :)

18 minutes ago, Rudititanic said:

Hi - thanks for posting the images and glad you're pleased with the model.  Love seeing Lion with those coaches!  

Regarding rods it might be easiest to either drill some from steel strip or turn them from wire - the key measurement is 23mm from pin centres.  Do share photos of the completed model when you get there.  :)

I, too, am happily working on Lion in OO.

1257046017_DSCN0036-Small.JPG.a68ecada1fca04035f9dcd02dddfb1aa.JPG

It makes a lovely model and is well thought out.  The motor bogie is a perfect fit, as are the locomotive wheels. 

The print was purchased knowing that it was an upscaled 2mm scale design.  That said, the implications of this really only become apparent when the thing is seen in the flesh.

I do think, however, that your 4mm scale models would benefit from revised CAD to achieve closer to scale representation of certain features and more detail.

While I accept that in WSF, rivet detail will be lost or sanded off, not so in FUD; one can sand round detail.  I have days' worth of bolt heads and rivets to add.  Not complaining, but making the point that a 4mm scale version could include such detail.

There are a number of features that, when scaled up to 4mm, seem unnecessarily crude or chunky. So far I have decided that the 4mm version would benefit from:

- Finer representation of the rails to the cab sheets

- Replacement of the tender handrails

- Replacement footplate springs

- Taller chimney

- Narrower planking to the boiler barrel and firebox sides  

- Boiler bands less proud.

On the picture below, I have sanded the model and removed the tender handrails.  The rails to the cab sheets have been thinned, but I feel I should thin them further.  The tender farings have been sanded to an angle. 

556379973_DSCN0141-Copy.JPG.1111b43ef5134ea105d7a15612d2fc08.JPG

The amount of work necessary to overcome the effects of upscaling the design to 4mm is considerable and not always simple to achieve. I confess that it is giving me second thoughts concerning further models.  I am particularly concerned about what the 4mm Derwent will be like.

I do think this is an important range, and it has certainly captured my imagination, but I conclude that 4mm prints really do need to have been designed as such.  Upscaling involves too much compromise and isn't getting the best out of the subject in this medium.  

As a result, Lion represents more work than I had anticipated to bring it to a good cosmetic standard for 4mm.  That said, I have enjoyed it so far, and will take my time over it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killian keane said:

I notice Edwardians remark about the planks on the boiler cladding with some attention as I myself am working on my first loco lagged in timber,  that being Jenny Lind,  what is the approximate width of a plank on the Lion print? 

This is a tricky area.

IIRC, when Sem and I were discussing Derwent, it became pretty clear that if the planks were done to scale, you would be unable to discern them.  You need to exaggerate the join and, probably, reduce the number of planks.  This is a case of dead scale looking wrong.  I came across this when I recently project-managed a covered wagon in 4mm; the champhered gaps between the plank had to be made slightly overscale in order to look right!

I say this because some compromise is necessary in order to obtain the right effect.  With Lion, designed as a 2mm model, the extent of the exacceration needs to be greater inorder for the detail to come across in N.  The problem I find is that when you scale it up to 4mm, the exaggeration appears too great.

I have measured plank widths on the boiler of Dr Newman's Lion 4mm scale print at 1.5mm, 1.75mm and 2mm. 

I have not seen the real Lion, but I am familiar with Derwent. In reality,the clad boiler is faceted, not cylindrical, because the planks are flat. I expect Lion is the same.

1790389999_Lion06.jpg.1aafe9b23e5a0254d20d35fab271a1fa.jpg

I think the only sensible approach is to do something that looks right, rather than try yo be dead-scale. 

To take Lion again as an example, here are three pictures:

- Dr Newman's print

877812967_DSCN0141-Copy.JPG.d577a44d0c81e0d7daef9214d23f0ebe.JPG

- The prototype

1077031203_Lion01atVulcanWks1980.jpg.84f7e16481c37081369d64a712528a81.jpg

- K's Milestones kit.

734990350_KsMilestonesLion.jpg.5447d2fbf185038f03cbacedb4a95e0e.jpg

I seems to me that you will never represent the correct number and width of plank, but the impression needs to be of more planks, and narrower planks more closely spaced than we see on the 3D print in order to capture the look of the prototype at 4mm scale.   The K's kit is clearly more persuasive in this regard, whether accurate or not. 

The same is true of the planking on the firebox side. Here there are noticeably fewer ion the 3D model. 

This is sounding a little harsh on Dr Newman's print, which is unfortunate, because it's an excellent print, well-conceived and I'm very happy with it.

I do think that the subjects in the range warrant revised CADs for the 4mm versions, however, as not everything enlarges successfully, in my view.  

• Like 2