Newman Miniatures: N and 00 Scale 3D-Printed Scratch Aids

36 minutes ago, Antonio_jose said:

It is becoming impossible for me to find Dapol 45xx series wheels.
In DCC Suplies they are sold out.

Can you tell me in which trade you buy them?

Thank you so much

I've also suddenly been struggling, so am just about to re-release all affected models modified for alternate GF driving wheels.  For existing prints though, because of the axlebox design you should with care be able to easily file them minutely larger on existing prints to take the 1.5mm axles of GJ Jinty wheels as an alternative.  Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Further to the above comment, all N Gauge Newman Miniatures designs that formerly used Dapol 45xx wheels have been redesigned to use Graham Farish Jinty wheels as the former are no longer readily available.  Items purchased prior to the date of this message (4/10/19) can be easily modified with gentle filing of the axleboxes, but all items after this date should accept the new wheelsets with no modification necessary.  Details on each item's sales page have similarly been updated to accurately reflect the components required to complete each model.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Antonio_jose said:

I would like to gradually make all his productions, (I love them) but I can't find the wheels of Graham Farish Jinty either. Any advice on where to get them online?

Thanks for the kind words.  The best thing would be to either look for suppliers of spare parts or contact Graham Farish directly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello
I have finally finished my first composition.
I love these models. They make me spend many entertaining hours.
In this locomotive, the connecting rods have given me some problems until I have managed to adjust them.
I already have two more to do. Pity about the problem to get the drive wheels, it is being impossible, not even the manufacturer has spare parts.

IMG_20191021_203035.jpg.29fccd58d5da42a249ed7328243e5d35.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Antonio_jose said:

Hello
I have finally finished my first composition.
I love these models. They make me spend many entertaining hours.
In this locomotive, the connecting rods have given me some problems until I have managed to adjust them.
I already have two more to do. Pity about the problem to get the drive wheels, it is being impossible, not even the manufacturer has spare parts.

Wonderful work Antonio - thanks for sharing.  Connecting rods can prove a bit tricky (I'm doing some for Invicta at the moment), but I've tried to design them to be as reliable as possible considering the limitations of N gauge.  Sorry to hear you're still having problems with finding wheels; all models have been reworked to suit Farish ones, but the ex-Dapol prints can be adjusted to suit with some light filing on the axleboxes to accept the thicker axles.  Other than their official spares suppliers, all I can suggest is keeping an eye out on Ebay under spares/repairs.  

• Like 1

My newest item is 'Invicta' from the Canterbury & Whitstable Railway - the first preserved locomotive (saved by the South Eastern Railway in the 1840s).  Shown here in its original as-built shape, I have also developed it in its rebuilt (preservation) form for both N and 00: https://www.shapeways.com/product/XASW2BSSF/n-gauge-invicta-loco-scratch-aid-v1-original

IMG_6955.JPG

Edited by Rudititanic
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only just stumbled on this thread whilst looking for the BRCW/AEI/Sulzer 'Lion'! What fantastic models and in N Gauge as well! Incredible!

I will be having a go at some of these as time and funds permit, Era 1 has always fascinated me and have a small collection of some of the commercial offerings.

A thought on wheels, apologies if I may have missed something. With reference to 4mm scale, Gibson wheels are plastic inserts pressed into steel tyres. In order to get realistic looking Hackworth wheels, is there any mileage in producing 3D printed inserts to press into Gibson tyres? 

Steve

5 hours ago, Wagpnmaster said:

A thought on wheels, apologies if I may have missed something. With reference to 4mm scale, Gibson wheels are plastic inserts pressed into steel tyres. In order to get realistic looking Hackworth wheels, is there any mileage in producing 3D printed inserts to press into Gibson tyres? 

Should be possible - I've done the same thing with the drivers for my Neilson 2-2-2T, to produce driving wheels without the hole for the crankpin. You do have to be very accurate with the fitting though, or you get fractures or eccentric movement.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Should be possible - I've done the same thing with the drivers for my Neilson 2-2-2T, to produce driving wheels without the hole for the crankpin. You do have to be very accurate with the fitting though, or you get fractures or eccentric movement.

I wondered whether it would be. I recall someone doing some Boxpok wheels for a BR Class 12 shunter.

Eccentricity is probably the main problem and fractures, as you say. Maybe one of the materials would be better than others for this purpose? I think the manufacturers use ABS? 

Might be worth investigating though?

8 hours ago, Wagpnmaster said:

Only just stumbled on this thread whilst looking for the BRCW/AEI/Sulzer 'Lion'! What fantastic models and in N Gauge as well! Incredible!

I will be having a go at some of these as time and funds permit, Era 1 has always fascinated me and have a small collection of some of the commercial offerings.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words Wagpnmaster and I hope you enjoy the models as & when in the future.  

As an N-Gauger I've not really thought about 00 wheels much, but you certainly raise an interesting point.  I'll have a look into it at some point as it may be worth experimenting with.  Thanks also TurboSnail for your input - noteworthy advice and useful to know for potential developments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wagpnmaster said:

I wondered whether it would be. I recall someone doing some Boxpok wheels for a BR Class 12 shunter.

Eccentricity is probably the main problem and fractures, as you say. Maybe one of the materials would be better than others for this purpose? I think the manufacturers use ABS? 

Might be worth investigating though?

I printed mine in resin, slightly oversize, then stuck them in a drill ('cos I'm not fortunate enough to have a lathe) and filed off the edge until it fitted. Bit of a faff though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking Turbosnail. Maybe the Exactoscale wheels might be better than Gibson as they have a thinner rim.

On a slightly different angle, has anyone tried 'motorising' the Penydarren loco? Obviously it would be very difficult to motorise the loco, I was thinking more of a motorised wagon pushing it. Does being a Plateway rather than an Edge Rail loco present any problems? A metal plateway would have to be used along with flangeless wheels on the motorised wagon of course.

There are some interesting Plateway locos, the intriguing one to me being 'Perseverance', not the Rainhill one, but the geared rack/adhesion loco with two chimneys. That would make an unusual model!

Steve 

3 hours ago, Wagpnmaster said:

On a slightly different angle, has anyone tried 'motorising' the Penydarren loco?

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in N Gauge (!) but I can see it being possible in 00, just as long as the engine is built to be sufficiently free-rolling.  The flanged rails shouldn't cause much difficulty, points notwithstanding, though getting the gearing low enough could be interesting.  

I presume your 'Perseverance' is a form of Blenkinsop engine?  Interesting certainly, but would rather need an entire operational structure set up as per above to be really feasible, static display notwithstanding.  Who knows, one day though...!

(Edit: do you mean this one: http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/59/Penydarren_2.htm )

Edited by Rudititanic

I thought it would be interesting to have a small working diorama/layout to showcase these early loco's and stock, including a simple Plateway. I think it could be possible in OO gauge and will order Trevithick's loco to have a go.

The 'Perseverance' I was thinking of is indeed the one you found. Again, if trying a small Plateway section, this would be a highly unusual loco with two chimneys etc.

Back on the Edge Rail, a good candidate for me would be Puffing Billy. I know the original isn't Standard Gauge, but the replica is. A few ideas there anyway.

Steve 

PERSEVERANCE.gif

Great thanks.  Worse come a method like the FNRM display could be used, with some invisible thread dragging the models back and forth with the mechanism under the track.

Puffing Billy is certainly worth considering - I've scratchbuilt her in N with some degree of success and having now experimented with gears it could be possible to get the chassis drive train working.