Sunday Night TV - The Joy of Train Sets

WIMorrison

It is on BBC4 tonight at 19:00 (Sunday 9 September). I am going watch it again because I am in it. They filmed Hornby 0 gauge at the Wessex Group of the Hornby Railway Collectors Association meeting several years ago. I am in the background wearing a pink shirt.

Edited by Robin Brasher

Its a good programme about Model Railways, explanatory and not condescending.

The thing of biggest "historical interest" was the Thomas segment, using real model locos on real model track, so unlike the CGI rubbish served up in later expansions of the franchise!

• RMweb Gold

I didn't bother re-watching the programme yet again (maybe next time, as it seems to come round fairly regularly), but I greatly enjoyed the subsequent (also repeated) celebration of my favourite cross-country trunk road.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Apparently (in connection with a recent theme night on AI), they created a bot to design an evenings TV schedule for the typical BBC4 viewer, based on demographic information, ratings from previous shows etc.

It came up with an entire evening of Railway-related programming! So they tweaked it. It then came up with an entire evening of Ships and Aircraft.

Its a good programme about Model Railways, explanatory and not condescending.

The thing of biggest "historical interest" was the Thomas segment, using real model locos on real model track, so unlike the CGI rubbish served up in later expansions of the franchise!

I believe the original series stock were built on marklin  gauge 1 loco and stock chassis, and then filmed operating. The eyes of the faces were radio controlled.   At least, like the original books, the stories take place in a plausible railway setting. Unlike the cgi ones obviously animated by people with no knowledge of railways at all. Watched a few of these with my grand daughter, who otherwise likes trains but didn't take to the new ones. I'll have to try her younger brother on the earlier ones....

I believe the original series stock were built on marklin  gauge 1 loco and stock chassis, and then filmed operating. The eyes of the faces were radio controlled.   At least, like the original books, the stories take place in a plausible railway setting. Unlike the cgi ones obviously animated by people with no knowledge of railways at all. Watched a few of these with my grand daughter, who otherwise likes trains but didn't take to the new ones. I'll have to try her younger brother on the earlier ones....

Correct there. The coach and wagons were from Tenmille kits(must have made them a nice tidy sum), ie 10mm/ft. Loco chassis were certainly Marklin(1/32 scale), with assume scratchbuilt bodies. Didn't help the mix up that  Gauge One has with two scales now using the term. Also allowed the likes of Bachmann to stretch their G gauge down to very near 10mm/ft(1/29). More confusion for those who don't understand the difference between scale and gauge.

Some of the road vehicles looked like they were based on 1/35th scale military kits(Opel Blitz = Bedford?).

It all nicely started about the time my children were the right age. although I did grow up on a diet of original Thomas books.

Apparently (in connection with a recent theme night on AI), they created a bot to design an evenings TV schedule for the typical BBC4 viewer, based on demographic information, ratings from previous shows etc.

It came up with an entire evening of Railway-related programming! So they tweaked it. It then came up with an entire evening of Ships and Aircraft.

AI TV was on BBC Four last week.  In the programme When AI Met the Archive there were four sequences of archive clips put together by the AI, using different techniques.  The time breakdowns were as follows:

Sequence 1 - using image recognition to link clips together

Total running time 11:33

Running time about trains* 0:27 (4%)

Running time about ships 1:06 (9.5%)

Sequence 2 - using keyword matching based on subtitles to link clips together

Total running time 11:05

Running time about trains 0:32 (4.8%)

Running time about ships 1:24 (12.6%)

Sequence 3 - using "dynamism" ratings of scenes to link clips together

Total running time 11:35

Running time about trains* 0:18 (2.5%)

Running time about ships 1:17 (11%)

Sequence 4 - using a combination of the above, plus "machine learning"

Total running time 11:34

Running time about trains* 1:03 (9%)

Running time about ships 0:57 (8.2%)

Across the four sequences, the running time was 45:47, with 2:20 (5%) about trains and 4:44 (9.2%) about ships.  The remaining 75.8% covered politics; arts and culture; history and archaeology; and other forms of transport including buses, motorcycles and bicycles - but not aviation.

The AI-selected programmes that followed it were:

Bottom line: a nice story but can safely be filed under "fake news" IMO.

One thing I would say is that the AI seemed to pick its clips from a very small number of the supposedly 250,000 BBC Four programmes it had available to choose from.  The Joy of (Train) Sets featured in three out of the four sequences, and The Last Days of the Liners featured in all four.

* Including model railways.

• 5 years later...
On 05/09/2018 at 21:51, WIMorrison said:

Might be worth watching of you havent seen it before, and if you have you may want to watch it again :)

And again. As StevieD71 mentions above you can find it on Youtube. It's split into four parts, the first one being

The second episode is

Here is episode three

And the final episode is here.

Edited by MartinRS
typo
  • Like 1