Two Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 Questions

Sir TophamHatt

Here's the questions:

1) The Prodigy Advance 2 normally comes with a dark screen, correct? And if you want a blue backlit screen, it's extra dosh?

Just wondering as mine came with a blue backlit screen (bought used from ebay), but for the price, I think I got a major good deal.

2) The PC attachment - is this the sort of thing I can use with JMRI to simply edit CV values and read chips and such?]

Thanks!

The Prodigy Advance2 (Squared) comes with illuminated screen as standard as does the Express2 (Squared). The non squared versions of both do not.

The Squared PA2 originally came with the older non-backlit display handset.

The backlit screen was introduced later on.

• 2 years later...

So I'm thinking of finally getting a DCC controller. I want something with potential to operate accessories in the future, but not break the bank now.

The Prodigy Advance-2 seems like a reasonable option for the price (at around £ 320)

However I note I can get more or less the same system made by MRC brand new for around 175 (and delivered for free shipping to relatives in the USA!) - a saving of around 45%!!

Is there any significant material difference between the different branded units?

What would be the advantage of getting the Gaugemaster branded system over the MRC one?

I accept warranty repair would be an issue, but would Gaugemaster repair an MRC unit for a charge (labour plus parts), or would I be totally on my own?

48 minutes ago, smokebox said:

Gaugemaster won't repair MRC kit. End of story.  Have you considered a z21 or even a Z21.  Another option is the NCE Powercab

Looking at powercab it seems to be equivalent to prodigy express, in that its funionality is limited. The 'full fat' power pro is around £400.... Z21 £360ish.

So at least twice the price of the MRC Advance-2

I guess the quesion is should I take MRC with a recognition if anything goes wrong its a wasted asset....

....However I note I can get more or less the same system made by MRC brand new for around 175 (and delivered for free shipping to relatives in the USA!) - a saving of around 45%!!

£175 sounds too cheap.

Are you sure it's the same model?

The full retail price of the Prodigy Advance "Squared" in the US is $460, (approx. £331) with typical discounted prices around $299 (approx. £215).

Those prices are before sales taxes are applied (note US prices don't include sales taxes), or if applicable, any p&p added.

You may have seen the price for the Prodigy Express "Squared" which has a full retail price of $240 (approx. £174).

21 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

So I'm thinking of finally getting a DCC controller. I want something with potential to operate accessories in the future, but not break the bank now.

I started with a Prodigy Advance 2 but I have now switched to a Digikeijs DR5000.

Reason? Connectivity & functionality.

The DR5000 has good connection options - to computers and to other devices. The Prodigy has very limited and expensive connectivity.

Whether this matters to you depends on what you're aiming to do. If you want computers and handheld devices like smartphones, then the Prodigy is very limited in what it can do.

I now have a spare Prodigy Advance 2 that I am looking to sell...   :)

Yours,  Mike.

15 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

£175 sounds too cheap.

The full retail price of the Prodigy Advance "Squared" in the US is $460, (approx. £331) with typical discounted prices around $299 (approx. £215).

Those prices are before sales taxes are applied (note US prices don't include sales taxes), or if applicable, any p&p added.

You may have seen the price for the Prodigy Express "Squared" which has a full retail price of $240 (approx. £174).

Will double check....

I imported my MRC PA way back in 2002 from a USA retailer long before Gaugemaster rebadged them. Of course its not the Squared version, but works very well. Then it cost me around £120 plus P & P to import. The seller stated on the customs declaration it was a "Toy" which I guess it is? So it didn't attract any import duty or VAT.

Gaugemaster will not entertain any repairs or upgrades,  but MRC will do this for around $30-$40 US dollars plus P & P. But I'm rather reluctant to send a working PA back and possibly never see it again! Or incur an import/VAT duty!  So I'm leaving as supplied and it works very well.

I also have a NCE PowerCab with upgraded software via a new chip.  That also works very well. Then there is the SPROG II and a  Hornby eLink. Not used the eLink, but I do use the SPROG II with JMRI for loco decoder setting and records.

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2021 at 20:07, Ron Ron Ron said:

£175 sounds too cheap.

Still 4 in stock. And even with UK shipping and import tax it works out at around £210 (based on Amazon quote, not sure if this is full tax coverage).

https://www.amazon.com/MRC-0001414-Prodigy-Advance2/dp/B000MKTB0I

This is definately the Advance 'Squared'. I did double check and um and err around any warranty faff and cost of servicing via post to USA....

...and I've just ordered, mainly because stock was getting low, and also because I had waited enough time that I will (hopefully) be able to inspect/test within Amazon's 30 day returns window (thanks to family, I'm still able and intending on travelling to USA!).

All up cost with free delivery within the USA, and charged in GBP to my card, less than £175.

Compared to UK supplies at £310-£385 (albeit with Gaugemaster support). Not quite sure how Amazon are knocking them out so cheap, RRP from MRC is $460....

We shall see what comes in the box.

HTH someone

• 1 month later...

Received my MRC Prodigy. Box was rather tired which is weird from Amazon. Also no cooling fan is visible in the case, just straight through to the circuit board with a lot of resistors  and capacitors. Given the casing looks like there should be a fan in there, is it missing and should i send for exchange?

• Friendly/supportive 1